What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...

Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom

Tom,

That must have been Denny's Liquors in Key Largo. Interesting place. I picked up an older bottle (1980s) of Old Charter from him a few weeks back. It sure turned out to be quite nice for the price.

This week I have acquired:

ER17 2002

EWSB 1992

3 OCPR Louisville

wtrr101

WTRB 1999

OFBB 2005

A pretty good week !!!!:cool:

Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...

Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.

Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.

You would like this 1968 stuff. Very nice. very dark for an 86 proof with a lt of depth... very pleasing... This 10/86 is as dark ad my Centennial 13/100..

Tom,

That must have been Denny's Liquors in Key Largo. Interesting place. I picked up an older bottle (1980s) of Old Charter from him a few weeks back. It sure turned out to be quite nice for the price.

You hit that right on the nose MJL, I just checked my receipt and sure enough it was Denny's. It definitely looked like an interesting store which I would check out more closely if I had the time (impatient wife waiting in the car).

I was also tempted by a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit. It had a Jimmy Russel signature on it in gold script. I don't know if that is part of the regular packaging or if it had actually been signed. Anyway I passed it up as it was too expensive to risk it breaking or disappearing from my suitcase on the flight home. Tom

Saturday I was lucky enough to find a bottle of 15 yr old Pappy Van Winkle and then I got a souvenir barrel decanter of Evan Williams Master Distillers Select at the Bourbon Heritage Center while in Bardstown...Two great bourbons..

Been thoroughly enjoying getting into the world of Bourbon.. Recent purchases:

Four Roses Single Barrel *

Elijah Craig 12y x 2*

Weller Antique 107*

PVW 15

ORVW 10/107 x 4*

VWSR 12y Lot B x 3*

* tasted

Weller - took me several pours to really get into it. Love it neat and at what a great price.

Four Roses - only had a small pour , but loved it

EC12y - wow.. tasty tansy and @ 21 a bottle

Lot B - well - my first bottle is almost gone.. hence the reason I went out and bought the last 3 -

ORVW 10/107 - prob my favorite of all.. and I worked real hard to get the four bottles. so glad I did.

add to this the PVW 20 I popped 2 weeks ago and the Stagg 07 I am picking up on the way home(!!!) - this "deviation" from beer is turning into something more of a main hobby..and I like it.

on deck -

ER12 .. found a small stash for $22

OGD BIB - found 1 liter for $21

OGD 114 - found 750 for $21

seems like good deals in my neck of the country

Been thoroughly enjoying getting into the world of Bourbon.. Recent purchases:

Four Roses Single Barrel *

Elijah Craig 12y x 2*

Weller Antique 107*

PVW 15

ORVW 10/107 x 4*

VWSR 12y Lot B x 3*

* tasted

Weller - took me several pours to really get into it. Love it neat and at what a great price.

Four Roses - only had a small pour , but loved it

EC12y - wow.. tasty tansy and @ 21 a bottle

Lot B - well - my first bottle is almost gone.. hence the reason I went out and bought the last 3 -

ORVW 10/107 - prob my favorite of all.. and I worked real hard to get the four bottles. so glad I did.

add to this the PVW 20 I popped 2 weeks ago and the Stagg 07 I am picking up on the way home(!!!) - this "deviation" from beer is turning into something more of a main hobby..and I like it.

on deck -

ER12 .. found a small stash for $22

OGD BIB - found 1 liter for $21

OGD 114 - found 750 for $21

seems like good deals in my neck of the country

No mention of the Pappy 15 (which I'm presently enjoying). It's my favorite (er... tied with Pappy 20 most times) Lot B is awesome, Antique a miracle at <$20 ( I picked one up for $14 a few weeks back). The ORVW 10/107 is one of the great values imo. I bunker as many van winkles as I can afford.

Got my hands on 2 WT 8 yrs from 1989 (1L & 750ml)
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

He shoots!

He scores!

Good job Emerald.

Anyone have any info on the mashbills for the 4R's I got the other day at Binny's??

They were picked by Brett. I got bottles from barrels 1 and 3.

OFBB '07 -- the last one I know of in the Mile High City. The '06s are somewhat easier to find, for some reason.

found another PVW 15 .. how could I say no.

well yeah of course you could not say no, but is NJ a dearth of Van Winkles?

At lunch I skipped out and picked up two liter bottles of Old Charter 8 year old today to complete my cleaning out of this brand from a local shop with old stock. The bottles were dated 02 on the bottom. I left one behind because it leaked all over the damned place when I went to check the date out. I walked out stinking of Bourbon and went back to my students after lunch. I certainly got some disdaining looks to day!:rolleyes:

well yeah of course you could not say no, but is NJ a dearth of Van Winkles?

Don't know how true this is.. but the guy at the liquor store told me that I was holding maybe one of the last bottles of PVW 15 that will be available in the state for the next 6 years...

the two I have obtained were pretty much only saved for me b/c of connections.. so I don't know how true his statement was, but is seems very hard to come by around here.

VA carries AA and AAA 10 star. One that I have not seen is the AA BIB. Liquor store in DC contacted to let me know that they got some BIB in and did I want a bottle....well of course I say.

So....Sat I'll have a bottle of AA BIB at $13.95. The bourbon dude there claims it's over the top good.....we'll see.

The bourbon dude there claims it's over the top good.....we'll see.

Greg,

I wouldn't say it was "over the top good" but it's good, especially for 14 bucks.

Joe :usflag:

The Bib is young and spicey. I would say it is similar to a WT product in style....with a different mashbill. I get more corn out of the AA than the WT.

As I have said before....I mix the Bib and the AAA 10yr to raise the proof on the AAA, per drink. It works for me.

2 bottles of Four Roses Yellow Label, thanks to BeeEss letting me know where to find it in OKC.

And, since I was there anyway...

Evan Williams Green Label

Jim Beam Black Label

Old Grand Dad BIB.

Went to get bottle of Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Came back with that and two Lot Bs and two PVW 15.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!