2008 Antique Collection Is Out.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got the press release announcing the 2008 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, so let the scramble to obtain these prized rarities begin. For the complete run down, go here.

I asked two different people (on different visits) at the Hurstbourne Liquor Barn and neither would let me reserve bottles this year. Maybe last year's was too much of a pain. Too bad for them. Old Town, maybe?

Thanks for the notice. I wonder how long to hit the West Coast. I'll keep searching the internet in the meantime.

Jim

I asked two different people (on different visits) at the Hurstbourne Liquor Barn and neither would let me reserve bottles this year. Maybe last year's was too much of a pain. Too bad for them. Old Town, maybe?

Businesses just will not do customer service any more, then they go out of business. Then they stand around scratching their head going how come we went out of business, Duh?

Did you try asking the people at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn about the BTAC? I stopped at all 3 last April on my way to the sampler and found the best service at Fern Valley. It may not be the biggest of their 3 stores in Louisville, but it is my favorite one to visit!

Thomas

I just noticed on John Hansell's blog that the Antique Collection should be available at the end of October. I haven't confirmed, but I thought the Eagle Rare and Sazerac 18 are usually the same ABV every year. Maybe someone else can confirm. Here are the other three ABV's for 2008.

George T. Stagg - 141.8

William Larue Weller - 125.3

Thomas H. Handy - 127.5

Here's the link with the information he received from Buffalo Trace.

http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/10/07/buffalo-trace-announces-2008-antique-collection/

If you have a BevMo in your area, they will hold for you if you are a member. The Tucson one is willing to hold a set or two for me (Stagg and Weller for me).

If you have trouble getting them, let me know, I will hook a SB.com member up.

William Larue Weller

"William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection’s uncut, unfiltered, wheat recipe bourbon. The barrels were aged 11 years and two months on the ninth floor of Warehouse I. This William Larue Weller release registers at 125.3 proof. It tastes of dried fruit sweetness, soft vanilla and cinnamon spices."

11 years?!? Wow.

All this time, I thought WLW was just a cask-proof version of the regular 7-yo...

Soooooo....

How is an eleven year old Weller part of the "antique" collection when everyday Weller 12 is not?

At least it's slightly more "antique" than last year's ten year old.

Too bad the THH isn't any older, same as last year, 6 years and 5 months. (I'm still looking forward to it but I wish it lived up to the name of it's collection more...)

Sorry...I'm new to the site, and I didn't check all the different forum subjects which might seem why my post was a little out of order. Thanks Chuck for putting this up.

I hope to taste these new versions at WhiskyFest in San Francisco.

Soooooo....

How is an eleven year old Weller part of the "antique" collection when everyday Weller 12 is not?

I think the fact that it is uncut and unfiltered might have something to do with that. This follows in the vein of George T. Stagg and Thomas H. Handy.

Besides, depending on the specific barrels, these 11-year-old Wellers might display more maturity than the regular 12-year Weller, or even the Van Winkle 15. Age and maturity do not always go hand-in-hand. As this is a "halo" product for Sazerac, I would think that maturity and flavor profile were their primary concerns in selecting the barrels.

I thought it was "antique" in style, not so much in product years... or it might just be their gimich... either way I will be buying some :D

Too bad the THH isn't any older, same as last year, 6 years and 5 months. (I'm still looking forward to it but I wish it lived up to the name of it's collection more...)

Yeah, but that's what the Sazerac 18 pretty much accomplishes.

Besides, I believe 6 years is a good age for a rye, which tends to mature pretty quickly. My only complaint is being charged $50 a bottle for what is essentially cask-strength version of a $25 per bottle whiskey. For that price, a few more years in the cask might be in order.

It would be nice to see an extra-aged (18-21 years) wheater released under the Weller name in the Antique Collection, but I doubt it will happen, as it might cannibalize sales from the Van Winkle Family Reserve.

Thomas H. Handy is my favorite American whiskey. Rye, Bourbon, whatever. With its high proof and sweet-and-spicy taste, nothing makes a better Winter warmer.

I thought it was "antique" in style, not so much in product years... or it might just be their gimich... either way I will be buying some :D

Originally the "Antique Collection" was made up of only very old whiskies, 17, 18 and 19yo..Stagg was added at 15yo...now we have these, quite young bottlings being done at barrel proof

Originally the "Antique Collection" was made up of only very old whiskies, 17, 18 and 19yo..Stagg was added at 15yo...now we have these, quite young bottlings being done at barrel proof

And, I suspect, that it is because of the shortage of aged stock.

Yeah, but that's what the Sazerac 18 pretty much accomplishes.

...My only complaint is being charged $50 a bottle for what is essentially cask-strength version of a $25 per bottle whiskey. For that price, a few more years in the cask might be in order.

That is a good point about the THH vs Saz18, as I just realized even the original release of this wasn't very old (8 years and 5 months) in the first place so maybe they were going for something like you suggest. The main reason for my comment is just the fact that they call this the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection which, to me, implies that all of the bottlings should be fairly old and I don't consider 6 years 5 months to be all that old. I do agree that a few more years in the barrel would be in order. (Mainly because I'll take all the years in the barrel I can get!) So long as it tastes good I guess there is really nothing to complain about though.

BTAC... it's like xmas in Oct/Nov! :]

There is an extent, especially with the introduction of the Handy, to which "Antique" is part of a brand name, and not necessarily intended to be taken literally, either as "old" or as in an earlier style. I think, despite the name, what the brand simply stands for is very limited edition products, always with some enthusiast-preferred characteristics (age, proof, unfiltered), but not necessarily all of them, with a certain consistent presentation, and at a certain consistent price point.

To me, the best thing about the BTAC is that they made it just for us.

Maybe "antique" refers to the prices that we have to charge for them? My gosh, I've already been tipped off by my supplier that the prices he's expecting to have to charge me this year are WAY up from last year, not that I'm terribly surprised, but still.

BevMo in Tucson said they are discontinued to them and the madnager cannot do anything about it... I am thinking about getting a wiffle ball bat and letting it talk to him.. The rest orf AZ will get them, just not Tucson... that is just wrong!!! :hot:

I will need to do some hunting in other fly zones now... I know LA, Boston and DC get them... but the price is so good in AZ $46-48... :soapbox: I just don't want to Drive to Pheonix... bastards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.