What's Open On Your Bar?

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thx TT! I enjoyed that bottle immensely at our last Seattle area get together.

Sorry CW, all he had left was a single bottle of the yellow label. He had brought only one bottle each of 5 of their spirits six months ago and I bought two of them.

Happy for me though he finally got some OGD 114 so i picked up my first bottle of that. I really need to empty some of my opens so I can start on all the other "first time buys" I've been accumulating.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken a bunch out of the bunker and opened it up recently, leaving the bunker depleted but definitely having more open than I ever had:

2012 WLW*

2012 GTS*

1975(ish) WT8*

1993 OC10 Louisville

ECBP

2010 OFBB

SW Old Fitz BIB*

1989 WSR7

RRSBSB

2004 OWA7

1989 OGD86

Old Ezra 7/101

BMH (NAS)... bleh

Weller 12*

FRSB (Liquor Barn selected)

WTR101*

Baby Saz

Ritt BIB

18 bottles open with about 12 of my favorites bunkered. Not impressive compared to most, but a year (almost to the day) of starting this hobby I am really happy.

*= got with the help of SB members. This site is the best on the interwebs even though it may ruin my marriage

KC120

Charter 10

Fighting Cock

Larceny

decided i didnt really like the Larceny after all. But, if i have a shot of that first, then the FC and Charter taste even better afterward.

currently out of OGD 114

*= got with the help of SB members. This site is the best on the interwebs even though it may ruin my marriage

Your bar should be where your wife doesn't frequent.

Your bunker should be where your wife doesn't see.

At least not in totality.

:)

Wife finally discovered the bunker and told me that 32 bottles ws too much. So with all sincerity I told her that she was absolutely correct and I had no idea that I had accumulated so much in a months time. Since then I have empitied six and only purchased two which to her seems more manageable.

I am very lucky that my wife understands the value of buying all I can if it is a good thing or deal. After finding something new, bringing it home and tasting it only to find out that the rest had been sold when I go back, she suggested I try it in the parking lot and if I like it, go on back in and get more. (I will drink it eventually.) She didn't even squawk when I came home with over 100 bottles of FR yellow (all gone now) when I explained that I got them for $5 a pop because the store needed the shelf space (and the owner got me a FR barrel head signed by Jim Rutledge to boot!). (I had to get them all to get that price.) On the flip side, she didn't like the latest vintage of her favorite wine so I searched the city and ended up with 19 cases of the 2011. That will keep her and her friends happy for a bit.

Now the down side to this is it is very difficult to say no to her. As a result we have 6 sewing machines (she quilts) and two dogs that hate me.

As for my "bar" I have about 150 bottles of whiskey open, 100 bourbon, 15 ryes, and various others. I love to compare at night. It is a neurotic need for me to open and taste something as soon as I get it. I am fighting the urge right now to open two 1960s bottles I recently got. The agony and the ecstasy!

BTW My EX would not have been so understanding.....

Edited by Enoch

100 bottles of FR yellow? My god...

He actually said over 100 bottles of... :) that's more than a lot!:)

and i thought I loaded up when i bought all 13 bottles of KC120 they had (clearing them out) for $18 a piece

it'd take me well over 5 years to go through 100 bottles of anything!

my wife, too, appreciates a good deal. she'll sometimes come home with a few cases of her favorite wines when she finds a good deal. if its something you buy regularly anyway, its stupid NOT to load up on a deal........unless it requires you to go into debt over it by keeping a balance on a credit card.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

[TABLE=width: 181]

[TR]

[TD]Open I have:

Bulleit Frontier[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Makers Mark[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Knob Creek[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1835[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Evan Williams White[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wild Turkey American Spirit[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fighting cock[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bulleit Small Batch 10yr[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Evan Williams Single Barrel 2003[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Four Roses single Barrel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Russell's Reserve[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Lined up to try when i roll through a bottle:

[TR]

[TD]Wild Turkey Rare Breed[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1792 Ridgemont Reserve[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1792 Ridgemont Reserve SB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Buffalo Trace SB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Taos Lightning SB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Forester Signature[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Larceny[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bakers #7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Eagle Rare[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wathen's[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Temperance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Grandad 114[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Grandad 114[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ezra B Single Barrel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Evan Williams Single Barrel 2001[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Knob Creek SB Liquor Barn[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Henry McKenna Single Barrel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Fitzgerald Very Special[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Town Branch[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Ezra Rare Old[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Very Old Barton BIB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Heaven Hill White BIB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Old Fitzgerald BIB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]J.W. Dant BIB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]J.T.S. Brown BIB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ancient Ancient Age 10yr[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]T.W. Samuels BIB

I also have a little scotch open:

[TR]

[TD]The Macallan[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Glen Moray[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Glenmorangie[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by DrBob

That's what credit cards are for, let 'em collect from my estate.

we are cheap. she makes great money and next year i will too. we will still be cheap though. we only spourge on things that give us enjoyment....like travel, parties, drinks, and hobbies. hell, we both drive 20 year old cars. as long as theyre reliable, id rather spend my funds on my hobby cars. i dont mind putting a few thousand into the 66 plymouth or the mustang....but ill be damned if im gonna spend 500 a month on a new car (or, over $40 on 750ml of anything)

cheap, but comfortable!

And he said he drank them, good show.

Actually, I said they were all gone. I did drink a lot of them. FRYL is a standard for me. But this was in 2010 and since my wife is a political consultant, it worked out well. I often had to go to night meetings with her and it wasn't long before everyone expected me to bring a bottle of bourbon. (Politicos drink!) Since most mixed it with coke or ginger ale I didn't want something too expensive and $5 a bottle sounded just about right to me. I did have some fun thought. Sometimes I would pour it in an empty Pappy bottle and everyone would rave how much better it was than the regular stuff I brought.

Also the main reason he sold it so cheap is that it was priced at $18 a bottle or so but he got a special for the 1.75s and they were priced at $20 a bottle so he said no one was buying the 750s. I actually went back and bought 6 cases of the 1.75s before they went back up to $30 (wish I had bought more because they are all gone also and now I pay $30) because they were very cheap and my 750s were leaving the house fairly quickly.

On a funny note, when I went to pay I had to use my credit card and he made me pay the 2% up-charge for credit cards so I actually paid $5.10.

I do try to stay ahead of the game and right now have about 600 bottles. I figure I will eventually drink them unless I die first and then my family and friends can have a hell of a wake. My `wife and daughter do not like this joke.

And that's what closets are far. We have a bourbon closet, a wine closet and on the back porch a beer fridge.

Edited by Enoch

I am very lucky that my wife understands the value of buying all I can if it is a good thing or deal. After finding something new, bringing it home and tasting it only to find out that the rest had been sold when I go back, she suggested I try it in the parking lot and if I like it, go on back in and get more. (I will drink it eventually.) She didn't even squawk when I came home with over 100 bottles of FR yellow (all gone now) when I explained that I got them for $5 a pop because the store needed the shelf space (and the owner got me a FR barrel head signed by Jim Rutledge to boot!). (I had to get them all to get that price.) On the flip side, she didn't like the latest vintage of her favorite wine so I searched the city and ended up with 19 cases of the 2011. That will keep her and her friends happy for a bit.

Now the down side to this is it is very difficult to say no to her. As a result we have 6 sewing machines (she quilts) and two dogs that hate me.

As for my "bar" I have about 150 bottles of whiskey open, 100 bourbon, 15 ryes, and various others. I love to compare at night. It is a neurotic need for me to open and taste something as soon as I get it. I am fighting the urge right now to open two 1960s bottles I recently got. The agony and the ecstasy!

BTW My EX would not have been so understanding.....

Hopefully, you didn't buy that 100 bottles of FR this year! You must have a large house for all of that bourbon and wine. Used to live close to Columbia. I love that area of the country.

Edit: Never mind, now I see that you were getting politicos drunk. That explains a lot!

Edited by mbroo5880i

As a newbie I find it exciting to try as many as possible, always keeping a mental list of those that warrant keeping around all the time. My open ones right now are: EC12, Very Special Old Fitz 12, Old Fitz 1849, MM, M46, 4RSB, Weller12, Bernheim (although its open, its lasted on the shelf cause i just dont like it), Wasmund's (which is really not that good either), Russells Reserve Rye, and some single malt Scotch's (which are very good indeed).

My shelf has only about 60 different whiskies, with only MM and EC of any quantity. The fun for me is enjoying the wildly different tastes each has to offer. I havent ventured into the flavored whiskies or moonshines. Those just have no appeal for me at all. There is probably about 50 different ones in the queue.

Every one is for drinking, not saving (although i have no objection to saving for later either). What I mean is I wont buy a bottle that I wont open. I tell my wife there is no bunker, but I think she may be starting to doubt.

Sitting reading posts, drinking coffee, and trying to decide what to bring out of the bunker and put on the bar. I'm Blanton's, OGD114, & WPS.

My open bottles have gotten too big for my liking, but it is nice to have so many choices, especially for when friends are over. I'm pretty much out of space on my bar though so I need to try to get this number down.

[TABLE=width: 180]

[TR]

[TD]Weller SR[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]OWA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Weller 12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]WLW[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]VSOF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MM 46[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pappy 20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Pappy 15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lot B[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ORVW 10/107[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Parker's Heritage 10[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=width: 228]

[TR]

[TD]EC12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EC12 Barrel Strength (gift shop)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ECBP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EC18[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Buffalo Trace[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AAA 10 year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Elmer T Lee[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Eagle Rare[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Knob Creek[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Black Maple Hill[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]OGD 114[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Baker's[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GTS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ER17[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Booker's[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Woodford Reserve[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rock Hill Farms[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Blanton's[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FRSmB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FRSB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FR LE SmB 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FR LE SB 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FR OESF (Liquor Barn)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FR OBSK (gift shop)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FR OBSV 17 year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rittenhouse BIB

Jefferson's Rye 10[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 3 months later...

Time once again to check in with what's open.

L to R

Old Forester Signature

Evan Williams White Label Bottled In Bond

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Elijah Craig 18 Year Old

Elijah Craig 12 Year Old Barrel Strength

The SB.com Blend in an OWA 1 litre, this one is about 35% OWA & 65% Weller 12.

Four Roses Single Barrel

Four Roses Small Batch 2013 Limited Edition

Parker's Heritage Collection 2012

Wild Turkey Old No 8

Wild Turkey Tradition

Wild Turkey Sherry Signature

And on deck waiting for Christmas from the 2013 BTAC, William Larue Weller

rsz_turkey_day_2013_001_zpse3383cc0.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.