What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a 6-pack sampler of Real Brewing Co. beer from Blanco, Tx. It came with 3 different samples 2 - Pale Ale, 2 - Pale Rye Ale, and 2 - Brown Ale.

I had the 2 Pale Ryes yesterday and they were superb. Reminded me alot of Stone IPA with a spicier finish. I'm going to keep an eye out for this brand in the future. It's the first time I've seen it. Kinda pricey at $8.50 a 6-pack, when I can just get St. Arnold's from Houston for $7.

Beamish from a widget can (thanks Andy!)

Nice!!!! Glad to be of service!

Tonight I am drinking Back to the future good Old Ballantine XXX Ale and I admit I still love it! I always have and I do not care who makes it still tastes good to me!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------

Beer Its not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

Tonight I am drinking Back to the future good Old Ballantine XXX Ale and I admit I still love it! I always have and I do not care who makes it still tastes good to me!

Well, I'll offer that most people who "care" about the current version of Ballantine XXX Ale are more concerned with HOW it's made, not by whom. (OTOH, there are what I think are valid reasons to dislike the S+P/Kalmanovitz/Pabst company but they are more "personal/political" than based on the beer itself).

In the case of the Miller-contract-brewed BA, the objections are an apparent switch to lager yeast (brewed in the "bastard ale" method of warmer fermentation), a much lower alcohol rate, a change of hops and the switch to dry hopping from distilled hop oils. "Tasting good" is, of course, a personal opinion- most will say it "tastes different".

I notice that Victory is currently brewing a draught-only "Ballantine XXX Ale" clone (using Cascades, according to some reports, rather than Brewers' Gold hops). They are not the first craft brewer to do so - I think there's been a good half dozen such "tribute" ales - and their's is dubbed Three Ring Ale. It's currently available on tap at their brewpub and I've seen reports that it's also being shipped to other Victory draught accounts. Have yet to see anyone who is familiar with the "original" (Newark or even Cranston) review it, however.

Maybe you could take a drive over to Downingtown and have a beer (or two) for us, Dave, and find out? :)

You Know what that is something I want to do very soon as I want to try the stuff they make that has the Yeast and someother things that make it seemilar to Good old Schimd's Of Phila their Site talkes about having it from April till June for celabration of the end of Prohibition. If I get over I will try both!

Dave

--------------------------------------------

Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is food

You Know what that is something I want to do very soon as I want to try the stuff they make that has the Yeast and someother things that make it seemilar to Good old Schimd's Of Phila their Site talkes about having it from April till June for celabration of the end of Prohibition. If I get over I will try both!

Yeah, I think they call that "Throwback Lager". There's a cool article on the 'net (maybe it's on the Victory site, now that I think about it) about a bunch of former Schmidt's guys touring Victory.

They also quite a few other draught-only and brewpub-only beers.

Took a friend out for lunch and had a couple of "special price" ($3.00 bottle) Heineckens...I never used to like it when I was younger but I find it ok now.

Goose Island Bourbon county stout at Monks café in Stockholm. Very very heavy and flavorful. Almost as an “essenceâ€. The 35,5 cl would have been enough for 2 people easy.

Leif

I had no idea Goose Island was exported...

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_story/6.php

"he company currently ships its beers to 15 states and the U.K." (Sweden..via the UK?)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_beers/3.php

I have not seen half of these in the liqour stores...limited distribution?

Yeah, what beer am I drinking Spring '09? SPRING!!! It friggin' snowed today. This is Georgia, for crying out loud! So, I'm switching gears, and going back to a dark warmer brew...a Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. Ahhh...that's better. Whining over...After a Thos. Handy Rye. But, that's for another thread.

Tonight I had a bottle of Tommyknocker Coco Porter given me by a friend and it was awesome! The last couple of nights i was Drinking Red Hook brewings Copper Hook and real nice spring Ale.

-------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

Dave Z

Bought a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

I don't know if it is the Two-row pale malt or the yeast, but it definitely shares a signature with the regular pale ale (sort of a citrus flavor). There is also a touch of pleasant bitterness, and the hops give it a potent, though by no means overwhelming aroma (pine with a little hemp-like funk in the background). Not bad, not exceptional - a very approachable IPA if you are new to the style.

Grilled up some nice tuna steaks tonight and had a plain old Sam Adams Boston Lager with dinner. Works well with food. I always have it on hand, it's become my old reliable.

Cheers!

PS- I always drink from a nice beer glass when I'm drinking a good beer. I'm not sure it makes the beer taste any better, though I personally suspect that it does, but I enjoy the experience much more.

Bought a 6-pack of...

It seems that the beer I've gotten lately are now in 4-packs and are priced more than 6-packs.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo? - check. A real nice IPA

4 packs that cost more than 6 pack? - check. Imperial styles are becoming extremely popular.

But the one beer I really enjoyed recently is Pyramid Ales Rollick. A nice amber lager that suites cool spring evenings really well. Not fruity, herby, or light-bodied, just a full-flavored micro.

Last night I had a Guinness and then, with dinner, an Arrogant Bastard from Stone . . . loved it so much I stole the glass from the bar!

Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.

What do you think of it, Greg? This is probably my least favorite of the Magic Hat line and definitely my least fav Hefe. The wife and I joke that they put it in every seasonal variety pack because no one will buy it on its own.

Hidden
Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.

What do you think of it, Greg? This is probably my least favorite of the Magic Hat line and definitely my least fav Hefe. The wife and I joke that they put it in every seasonal variety pack because no one will buy it on its own.

Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.

Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.

Last night, Abita Amber and Abita Turbodog. The night before, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale.

Karl Strauss sucks balls. I wouldn't touch that for anything.

I'm working on a better Adam clone, the one I have now is good, but too smooth, it's missing the roasty character of true HOTD Adam. So in reading I discovered he uses peat malt....Ah!

It's the one brewery I've yet to make it to up there.

If you ever drive down south to Carlsbad, hit the Pizza Port bottle shop, you ought to be able to find a lot of good beer there. Or drive out to the Stuffed Sammitch in teh LA area...they have a huge beer list.

http://www.stuffedsandwich.com/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.