What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Currently drinking a Franziskaner Hefeweizen, it is fantastic.

that's one of our favorite wheat beers. my wife and I first tried it in a little Bavarian style bar in Helen, GA.

This weekend I had a Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60min IPA, and Sierra Neveda Torpedo Extra IPA - all were very good and extra hoppy. Followed the Torpedo with an Abita Purple Haze (which is usually a "starter" for me) and it tasted like water.

A nice little Summer thunderstorm rolling through. Watching it all happen with a New Belgium "Mothership Wit" Wheat Beer. It's OK, but there are other beers of this style that I've enjoyed more. Of the 3 NB brews that have made it to this market (Fat Tire, 1554, and Mothership), this one is a distant third in the line-up.

Deans and E3's mention of the Franziskaner Hefeweizen, has me hankerin' for my favorite German hef...Weihenstephaner. My longtime German neighbor, Walter, introduced me to it last Summer. I immediately loved it.

Man it is humid in the Mitten today and going to get worse as the week rolls on.

So I picked up a six of Molson Golden and I got it ice cold, (yeah kinda like Andre 2000), it brings the blood temperature down.

Hey Ya!

Man it is humid in the Mitten today and going to get worse as the week rolls on.

So I picked up a six of Molson Golden and I got it ice cold, (yeah kinda like Andre 2000), it brings the blood temperature down.

Hey Ya!

whatever you do, don't shake it like a polaroid picture.:lol:

I'd never tasted a 100 rated ale before. Decided that it was time to change that. All the domestic 100s were pricey but I picked up a bottle of Abbaye des Rocs Brune by Brassserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs, a Belgian product and gave her a go. Wow. Very complex with a lot of things happening in my mouth. The dominant flavor I got was apricot both in the nose and in the mouth. When I poured it it seemed like it came out in chunks, a first for me. Then at the bottom of the glass it became apparent and became very chewy which I absolutely loved. A meal in a bottle. I don't know that I'd personally rate it 100 but it was at least in the high 90s.

When do we start the Summer thread? First sighting of Sierra Nevada Summerfest '09 over the weekend (only 2 sixers in wet cardboard at the bottom of the cooler so I passed...this time). Last year's version made for a great tailgating brew in September. Will pick up this year's soon.

New release from KC's boulevard brewery, just on the shelf today - their Boulevard Pilsner. Nice, 'round' lager, malty. Hops are there, but not overpowering (and these guys can overpower w/hops if you'll let 'em). Balanced is a good adjective, tastes like a beer my Grandpa would love. I like it too. For the record, it disappears like freaking magic.

Last night it was samual Adams Blackberry witbier and it is a very nice beer to say the least.

It surprised me how good it was for summer drinking.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A beverage beer Is Food

I don't care what anybody says about the beer. But, there's something just "right" about sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, and drinking an ice cold Corona. And, that's exactly what I did yesterday. And, what I'm gonna do today...And, tomorrow...

I don't care what anybody says about the beer. But, there's something just "right" about sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, and drinking an ice cold Corona. And, that's exactly what I did yesterday. And, what I'm gonna do today...And, tomorrow...

quite apropos. To me, Kalik has a similar "rightness" at the beach. Kalik made its way from the Bahamas to Florida and may be available elsewhere now.

Me and my lady partner did share a Rogue imperial india pale ale 2007 yesterday with very spicy outdoor grilled pork spareribs. Real nice indeed!

Leif

A cold Yuengling is hitting the spot after taking in most of a minor league baseball game.

A cold Yuengling is hitting the spot after taking in most of a minor league baseball game.

Don't be so hard on the Indians, Scott.

Last night I popped the cap on another "100" I picked up yesterday. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co in Fort Bragg, CA. Rich coffee dominated this black as coal gem with dark chocolate flavor that really sticks with you. Still not a personal 100 but one of the best RIS I've had so far.

Watching Gordon Ramsay's "F Word" show (7/1/09 episode) and he was selecting a beer to go with veal....he went to a tavern with a large selection and in speaking with owner and eating veal he finally came up with "Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer" (bourbon barrel) from Scotland. He selected it due to the carmelized taste and lack of significant aftertaste bitterness. Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.innisandgunn.com/foodmatching.htm

"The oak imparts a creamy smooth palate and the kind of complex, diverse flavours you might be more used to experiencing in a good wine. This makes it a natural match with a wide range of foods."

Not sure if it is available outside of NY or CT.

Additional item...they make the beer at his house....they have a small beer maker outside and they add the grains and water for the wort, add hops etc. then they will age it in the barrel for 6 weeks. Very nice set up.

Haven't seen it here.

Tonight I'm trying Witch's Wit by The Lost Abbey from Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, CA. This one didn't have a shelf rating but almost everything from this brewery was highly rated. Nothing special about this witbier to garner a high rating. Not bad but pretty much run of the mill.

I had the Innis @ Traflager Square (sp) a couple years back when we had lunch. I loved it. It's one of the classic "whiskey beers" I've had where it's like a shot and a beer in one bottle.

It's pretty dry finish, but you can taste the whiskey influence. Unfortunatly it's not available in Ohio.

My other favorite whiskey beer was Founders Black Rye but they arent making that anymore.

Here is some nice info on the Innis & Gunn

http://www.anconaswine.com/sku15010.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=INNIS%20&%20GUNN%2011OZ%20OAK%20AGED%20BEER

"For 30 days this honey-hued beer sleeps in hand selected oak barrels, locked inside a bonded warehouse, gradually assimilating the subtle flavours that reside in the wood. Barrels are then emptied and maturation continues for a further 47 days in a marrying tun where these natural flavours infuse and fall into perfect balance. This 77-day process is unique and produces a delicious, refreshing beer: Aromas of vanilla and toffee, hints of citrus, with a malty, lightly oaked,palate. Deftly balanced and light in texture, soothing and warming in the finish." ~ (Brewery Notes)

I could by it for $4.69 but it would cost $13.72 to ship....total $18.41.

finally picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Summerfest '09. This crisp lager is a nice change of pace from the IPAs I've been trying lately and it's a pleasurable icey cold brew in the heat.

despite that pleasant change of pace, I've really enjoyed the Stone IPA which is new to me. Poured into a pint glass with smoked gouda to nibble on it excites my taste buds. After my first sip, I instinctively went to the fridge looking for a good cheese and it worked. Compared to other IPAs I've tried of late (SN Torpedo and Dogfish head 60 min), the Stone seems to have a touch of sweetness (the malt?) in the finish that compliments the cheese. I have a 22oz bottle of Ruination waiting in the fridge for the right moment.

I'm torn. I feel like I'm neglecting my bourbon, but at the same time I'm envious of you left-coasters with all those great craft beers at your fingertips.

Glad you made it to the party Dean!

Dont let those left coasters fool you, we have most of their stuff at our fingertips here plus we get the East coast and central brews!

Glad you made it to the party Dean!

Dont let those left coasters fool you, we have most of their stuff at our fingertips here plus we get the East coast and central brews!

Thanks, Dean!

I'm finding some of the west coast crafts and I'm researching East and central. Alabama is slowly getting up to speed after passage of the "Free the Hops" law and because I'm on the state line w/Florida, I have a few places on the radar to search there.

Big fan of the Innis and Gunn here (available in MA as well) -- down to my last two bottles actually.

Just finished cutting the grass, and am sitting down with a Bell's Oberon Ale. Nice and clean. Running the Peachtree Road Race 10K tomorrow, so better start my hydration! ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.