OWA-NAS/new label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fair enough. That's two. Let's say bourbons, because ri1 and Old Overcoat don't have them either.

But I just checked Old Bourbon Hollow, and it does.

Old Overcoat? Is that related to Old Nasty Apron? :-)

(Did the spell check gremlin get ya?)

Fair enough. That's two. Let's say bourbons, because ri1 and Old Overcoat don't have them either.

But I just checked Old Bourbon Hollow, and it does.

I was thinking OGD and MM.

I grabbed two bottles of '08 OWA tonight for the paltry sum of $18 each to add to the one I've already got bunkered. The "old" label is still plentiful around here and, as I said in an earlier post, is far more pleasing to the eye, IMHO, than the newer "modern-looking" label.

Okay, Grand-Dad doesn't either. I'm not sure about Old Crow, but the last time I had some it was a 36-monther, and that must be disclosed. The point isn't "prove Chuck wrong about something," though I know that's great sport. The point is that Beam is very committed to age statements. Every bourbon that says "Jim Beam" on the label has one, as do the four Small Batch bourbons, as does their unknown BIB. People who bemoan the loss of age statements should applaud Beam for that. The only case I know of in which Beam swtiched a product from age-stated to NAS is international Beam black label.

I received a single barrel version of the OWA and it came in the new package. I'll have to admit, that I like the new bottle but then again, I liked the old bottle too. The new bottle has a classy look as does the Weller12. I'm happy that I've at least stockpiled 14 bottles of OWA for the NAS years to come.

I received a single barrel version of the OWA and it came in the new package. I'll have to admit, that I like the new bottle but then again, I liked the old bottle too. The new bottle has a classy look as does the Weller12. I'm happy that I've at least stockpiled 14 bottles of OWA for the NAS years to come.

What matters most: the age statement or the quality of the juice inside?

I say the latter.

What matters most: the age statement or the quality of the juice inside?

I say the latter.

Quality of the juice, but without guidlines you add in many degrees of fredome.... OWA has been so consistant for so long because it has been a 7 plus yr old juice....

Not many folks talk about the covited 4-6 yr bourbon, unless you are Barturtle.... he likes is 0-X yrs...

Quality of the juice, but without guidlines you add in many degrees of fredome.... OWA has been so consistant for so long because it has been a 7 plus yr old juice....

well put!......................

I guess I'd disagree. OWA has been consistent because BT has maintained its taste profile; not because of it's age . There is older AS distillate on the market that (I would argue) isn't either as consistent or good. (e.g., EC 12).

I guess I'd disagree. OWA has been consistent because BT has maintained its taste profile; not because of it's age . There is older AS distillate on the market that (I would argue) isn't either as consistent or good. (e.g., EC 12).

I would argue that EC 12 is better, although maybe not as consistant. So...buttons.

I agree that age statements do not guarantee good juice. I am not a big fan of the Weller 12 - it is the Lot B rejects as far as I can tell.

What I like to do is fix as many degrees of freedom as I can. Age, proof, location, distillation temp, entry proof, etc... same theory behind the BIBs by ensuring certain features to claim as the best juice.

If you remove the age guarantee, then you add the uncertainty of how the juice will act when watered down to the 107 from the barrel strength. The younger the bourbon, the easier it is to loose the deeper qualities of an older bourbon.

It takes a certain amount of time in the oak to breakdown the qualities we like in the oak. You get more the longer it is in until you then start to get into the qualities we do not like (over oaked, over charred, etc).

There is a balance that is maintained that is changed when you start to reduce time in the oak.... I plan on starting a new thread on flavors, age and proof...

I would argue that EC 12 is better, although maybe not as consistant. So...buttons.

Good points all, I guess the only thing left to do is to keep drinking and analyzing them.

I'm in, how 'bout you?

on it now baby... the SB new label I just got in dusts the 09 old label I have... Got to love the SB.

I guess the real question for all of us is, at the end of the day (and I mean today), will you be able to find anything you can stand to drink?

I guess the real question for all of us is, at the end of the day (and I mean today), will you be able to find anything you can stand to drink?
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey, at the end of today it will be a success if I can just stand.:bigeyes:

Ha ha. Very funny! That's how I felt last night at the end of the Phillies/Dodgers game. My tendency is to "pour big" when I'm on a roll and I was really enjoying the baseball, so down the hatch it went. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Good one, O.

If somebody has one could they please post of picture of this 'new label'? I am sure I am not the only one having read, ok skimmed, this thread expecting to see it.

If somebody has one could they please post of picture of this 'new label'? I am sure I am not the only one having read, ok skimmed, this thread expecting to see it.

New OWA label..........................

Sorry its just a crappy cell phone pic.

post-1977-14489816039059_thumb.jpg

Here ya go....

[ATTACH]9687[/ATTACH]

Man,

There is absolutely no place they could possibly fit an age statement on that!

It just wouldn't fit anywhere on that bottle :skep:

I am, however, reminded that there was an era when, nothing on the label would tell you, but Kentucky Tavern had some especially good juice in it (which may have been some of god's own Stitzel Weller, as the story goes). From early reports on this first release of the "age statement wouldn't fit" bottling being really exceptional stuff, I may bunker up some for my own bad self.

If I was a teenager maybe I would tell the clerk at the liquor store that my age statement ID wouldn't fit in my wallet, and my wallet was actually much nicer without it, and so I shouldn't be harassed about not bringing my age statement with me. Just trust me.

Roger

Thanks Em and Brad! I kind of like it, the script reminds me a little bit of the Weller 19, but I don't like that it isn't AS 7 year anymore.

No arguing the issue, if it doesn't say it, it either isn't or will not be 7 years old very soon. And that is very unfortunate. They should have chosen 1 weller to be NAS and maintained the Antique and 12 year - wait a minute, now I can't recall is Special Reserve NAS now too or did it maintain its Age Statement?

It's particularly sad to see the negativity and cynicism that runs rampant on another site splash over here.

Just curious...have any of the sour-asses taken the time to let Sazerac or Buffalo Trace know that they don't agree with the decision to drop the age statement? You all know how to get in touch with them so make your voice heard.

Thanks Em and Brad! I kind of like it, the script reminds me a little bit of the Weller 19, but I don't like that it isn't AS 7 year anymore.

No arguing the issue, if it doesn't say it, it either isn't or will not be 7 years old very soon. And that is very unfortunate. They should have chosen 1 weller to be NAS and maintained the Antique and 12 year - wait a minute, now I can't recall is Special Reserve NAS now too or did it maintain its Age Statement?

The relationship between the SR and Antique as it was described to me is in this post:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=183106&postcount=19

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.