OWA-NAS/new label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For every bottle of the new first dumping of NAS OWA that you bunker within the next few weeks/months (I'm drinking from a NAS bottle now, and it is good), I'll trade you even up, three years from now, bottles I'll purchase at that time in future.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is......................

New OWA label..........................

Sorry its just a crappy cell phone pic.

Pringles?

C'mon man... show some class! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Scott. So much has been said so quickly in this thread I can't remember what I'd read and where and what I thought I'd read.

As for the cynicism, I think Wade said it best in the very beginning. Distillers do this because they can. And yes, good point, I will email BT to let them know my feelings on it and you're right all those who are upset should do the same.

Pringles?

C'mon man... show some class! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant to move those before I snapped the pic. :bigeyes:

:lol: :lol:

Man,

There is absolutely no place they could possibly fit an age statement on that!

It just wouldn't fit anywhere on that bottle :skep:

Could have put it on the neck band, made it bigger or something.

Could have put it on the neck band, made it bigger or something.

That's what he's being snarky about in his post. Apparently the neck band couldn't be made bigger/longer due to the curvature of the neck and they decided to go with the large proof statement instead of smaller proof and age statements.

If somebody has one could they please post of picture of this 'new label'? I am sure I am not the only one having read, ok skimmed, this thread expecting to see it.

No, you're not the only one. I'm lucky (?!) enough

to still find the old version on the shelves and I

was curious as to what the the label looked like.

That said, the new bottle does appear to be a bit

more "upscale" but generic at the same time. It

may have a broader appeal to the general public

who really don't give a fig about an age statement.

All three Wellers (excluding WLW) now bear the legend, "The Original Wheated Bourbon," which without being too cynical or snarky I will say is marketing fluff unsupported by facts. The only thing is, nobody has a better claim and I like them standing up to Maker's Mark, as it were, which is wont to pretend it invented wheated bourbon, when what is supported by the facts is that Stitzel-Weller was making wheated bourbon long before Maker's Mark did.

Where I think the cynical and snarky attitude is appropriate is on the "there was no room for it" answer. Saying that to this group is insulting, but that's a very small offense from a distillery that shows its love to this group like no other.

... but that's a very small offense from a distillery that shows its love to this group like no other.

could not be put better sir....

Someone wondered upthread if Weller SR retained the age statement in the new bottle, and the answer is yes. The new SR bottling (same bottle as 12 and OWA) carries the age statement on the neck band, where Antique has the "107" labeling. Since they're from the same dump, OWA's still 7yo juice. I may have posted this before, but since I've had 2 pours of OWA I'm a little fuzzy. :D

I just tried 3 different Antiques from the last few years, bottle indicated as: 06 and 08 "7yo" and 09 "new bottle." It is quite clear that the 08 is better than the 06 and the 09 is the best of the group. The 09 is a bit thicker, less hot, rounder and starts to display the stewed fruits that some are looking for in well made bourbon.

I stand by what I wrote; this may indeed be one of those blips of time when a label surpasses itself, like some recount that Kentucky Tavern did for a period. I can't imagine there'll be a better time for price, and perhaps not for quality either, to bunker up than this first release of the "no room for an age statement" bottle. This weekend, we may have a chance to try it versus SW Antique, VW10 or Centennial.

A different question that comes to me is if the high quality of the current Antique has a correlation to the "merging" of VW with BT. The 2009 Antique is indeed right about the 7 year marker from the "merge." (I don't really know exactly why that's the term, but I do believe it's the one Julian prefers, so that suits me). I've read posts by Julian where he talks about making some suggestions in how BT might modify the wheater whiskey, maybe this is showing to our benefit now.

Roger

I agree Roger. The new OWA is very good (may be the best of the bunch for the last several years). The question is "How long is it gonna stay that way?". I don't trust 'em. I'm stocking up now.

Joe :usflag:

I've read posts by Julian where he talks about making some suggestions in how BT might modify the wheater whiskey, maybe this is showing to our benefit now.

Roger

That's good news.

It does seem like the choice between wheaters are decreasing.

With MM kinda bland, Old Fitz not very good, the dropping of Centennial and Pappy's skyrocketing prices it would be good if BT takes Julian's suggestions.

If that's the case, and it is now showing up in Antique, it also bodes well for the ORVW bottling. (insert one of those lip smacking emoticons here)

If that's the case, and it is now showing up in Antique, it also bodes well for the ORVW bottling. (insert one of those lip smacking emoticons here)

:yum:

That work?

As for sourasses, I had a case of that last Thursday night. Not fun. I would suggest Pepto-Bismo and lots of fluids.

Because of all the fuss, I tried the new NAS OWA yesterday. Tastes as good or better than the AS version.

Because of all the fuss, I tried the new NAS OWA yesterday. Tastes as good or better than the AS version.

Okay. So now, at half-time of the Giants-Saints game, I'll have to run out and get a bottle of the NAS OWA to do a taste test with my already open (and quite delicious) "old" OWA. See what you guys have started? :grin:

I just tried 3 different Antiques from the last few years, bottle indicated as: 06 and 08 "7yo" and 09 "new bottle." It is quite clear that the 08 is better than the 06 and the 09 is the best of the group.
I've had several bottles of the 06 and 08, and I disagree that the 08 is better. I haven't seen the new 09 bottle, so I haven't been able to try it yet.

I've had several bottles of the 06 and 08, and I disagree that the 08 is better. I haven't seen the new 09 bottle, so I haven't been able to try it yet.

With batches as large as OWA, you are going to get pallet to pallet variation.

The juice is not going to he homogeneous across 100, bottles, 1000 bottles, or 30,000 bottles.

You must have gotten a sweet 08. The 09 7yr one I had was thin and young. My 08 7yr is worse than 09. !bitter is how it has been described. The 09 NAS I have is a single barrel... It does not count.

I noticed a shift in the OWA from 06 and on. Each bottle became thinner and thinner...

It would be fun to blind 04-09 7yr and 09 NAS... That would be the only way to tell.

With batches as large as OWA, you are going to get pallet to pallet variation.

The juice is not going to he homogeneous across 100, bottles, 1000 bottles, or 30,000 bottles.

I agree.
You must have gotten a sweet 08.
You must mean Rughi, because the 08's that I've head were not as good.

I agree.

You must mean Rughi, because the 08's that I've head were not as good.

I did... I have had some kick ass bottles of OWA... The Julio's SB right now is one of the. All in all, I have only had a couple that were marginal.

I know we beat BT up a lot when they make changes, but they really are the enthusiasts best friend..

I pulled examples of all the Weller 107 bottles that I have. They date from the '60's, '80's, early '90's and 2009. The word "Antique" doesn't show up until recently. The back labels and neck tags are interesting too. The oldest one describes how the seven summers in wood INCREASES the proof in the barrel to 107. That implies a really low barrel entry proof on the older SW whiskies. A later one describes how the master distiller adds water to reduce the proof to 107....just where he likes it. Anyway, just a little pictoral history. Perhaps not complete.

Randy

Pic 1 Old Weller.....Original 107 Barrel Proof

Pic 2 Old Weller.....The Original 107 Proof

Pic 3 Old Weller.....Antique......The Original 107 Brand

Pic 4 Old Weller.....Antique......Original 107 Brand - New Lable 2009

post-379-1448981610309_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489816103259_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489816103487_thumb.jpg

post-379-1448981610365_thumb.jpg

Randy, that's great. Can we persuade you to do a vertical tasting (or perhaps blind)?

Gary

That first one is the one I was referring to in Chuck's thread about his 110 proof version. I have one just like that but the domestic version and noted it didn't use the term Antique.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.