ORVW 23 Year Old 114 Proof

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I actually really like the case and I have it on my fireplace mantel as a display item. I am actually using the cup right now and really like it too. Since I love the van winkle line, sipping their bourbon from a van winkle glass is great.

I actually really like the case and I have it on my fireplace mantel as a display item. I am actually using the cup right now and really like it too. Since I love the van winkle line, sipping their bourbon from a van winkle glass is great.

The cups are nice. I'm going to christen ONE of them with some "regular" Pappy 23 and then start using it regularly. I will wait to christen the second until I actually open the bottle of ORVW 23. I have no idea when that will be, but I have a 30th birthday coming up in a year or 2.

The cups are nice. I'm going to christen ONE of them with some "regular" Pappy 23 and then start using it regularly. I will wait to christen the second until I actually open the bottle of ORVW 23. I have no idea when that will be, but I have a 30th birthday coming up in a year or 2.

Let me guess, your friend got you an ORVW 23 in exchange for two shiny buffalo nickels? :grin:

Let me guess, your friend got you an ORVW 23 in exchange for two shiny buffalo nickels? :grin:

I paid fair price for it. although it was a bit under "retail". i got 3 of them, and passed 2 off to a mr. gonano.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the ORvW23 at Binny's Highland Park a few weeks ago, but thought it was like the Pappy 23, which I have and find a little woody or whatever.

Thursday night I hit the Gazebo for the first time in months and there was talk of this bourbon; I think it was TomH going to south loop Binnys to pick some up. Anyway, it was an expensive chat as I called my friend Dave in Highland Park and they still had their bottle. It's now on my kitchen table waiting to be opened. I saw someone mentioned a vanilla scent, which is something I like about Pappy 20; I hope it's here, too. Looking forward to trying it. The case and glasses aren't too shabby either.

btw, bottle #849

The Old Rip Decanter is available at CASK for $370.

Their list of spirit "ship to" states:

California

Colorado

Iowa

Missouri

New York

North Dakota

Nebraska

New Mexico

Wisconsin

I am the bar manager at the Parc 55 in San Francisco and we offer a 2oz pour of ORVW 114 for $60. From 3-7pm everday we have happy hour where your second drink is 55% off. I stock a nice selection of bourbons at good pricing, feel free to drop me an email at aroumph@parc55.com and I would love to send you our whiskey list.

Thank you,

Tony

Hidden
I am the bar manager at the Parc 55 in San Francisco and we offer a 2oz pour of ORVW 114 for $60. From 3-7pm everday we have happy hour where your second drink is 55% off. I stock a nice selection of bourbons at good pricing, feel free to drop me an email at aroumph@parc55.com and I would love to send you our whiskey list.

Thank you,

Tony

I hope you can sleep at night with a > 100% markup...

That mark up is right in line with most high-end spirits. Most bars or restaurants take the wholesale price and double or triple it then divide it by the amount of pours.

For 2oz pours they get 12 per bottle. 12 x $60.00 = $720.00

If they bought it for $250.00+ (wholesale) then they are right on par.

$250 x 3 = $750

Alot depends on your area. In California this is normal.

Wine is even worse.

Thank you,

Tony

So you registered to promote your establishment? I'd be willing to buy a bottle and split it with SBers at bottle price, but $60 for a pour? I'm trying to quit.

I am just really a fan of bourbon and any support I get helps me have a valid reason to stock harder to find/upscale bottlings. Unfortunately the profits don't go into my pockets :grin: and yes California is a bit expensive. whskylvr was pretty much right one the money even down to the fact its a 750ml and not a liter bottle (The wholesale is off but close). Obviously when you go out businesses' have other costs associated with the product, especially in California. A better way to look at it would be how much do you pay for a jack or jim on the rocks? Take 2oz of that from a liter bottle (about 30oz) So you get 15 drinks at whatever price from a pretty cheap wholesale bottle - so though your drink might cost you less your value is significantly lowered as well. Regardless I apologize for getting off topic, ORVW 23yr 114 is a great bourbon, and I appreciate the feedback.

Sorry for the presumed solicitation,

Tony

I am just really a fan of bourbon and any support I get helps me have a valid reason to stock harder to find/upscale bottlings. Unfortunately the profits don't go into my pockets :grin: and yes California is a bit expensive. whskylvr was pretty much right one the money even down to the fact its a 750ml and not a liter bottle (The wholesale is off but close). Obviously when you go out businesses' have other costs associated with the product, especially in California. A better way to look at it would be how much do you pay for a jack or jim on the rocks? Take 2oz of that from a liter bottle (about 30oz) So you get 15 drinks at whatever price from a pretty cheap wholesale bottle - so though your drink might cost you less your value is significantly lowered as well. Regardless I apologize for getting off topic, ORVW 23yr 114 is a great bourbon, and I appreciate the feedback.

Tony

I am glad to see there are places to et some good Juice. Keep up the good selection and thank you for the heads up on the spot. I am always loking for good places to drink bourbon.

If you want to talk about high $$$ in Cali for drinks. Try Ruth's Chris. Make sure you take your 401K to leverage for a round of goood juice...

Welcome to the board Tony. I hope you stick around a and keep us up to speed on how the indistry is doing.

... and to keep on thread, still enjoying my bottle of the ORVW 23. It is sensitive to glass selection, so make sure you use a glass Glencairn and not a crystal. The crystal makes the oak stand out a LOT more.

Have not tried a rocks glass yet and probably will not...

Tony

If we were really concerned you'd have heard from someone in green, orange or red.

Thanks for your input.

Does anyone know if the decanter is made from lead crystal? I can't seem to find any info on the bottle. It says crystal on the glassware.

Wish you had posted 3 weeks sooner when we were in San Fran. To be honest we were looking more for food (Gary Dankos, Canteen, and in Napa -CIA) and wine (a couple of days in Napa/Sonoma), but we did walk by your place a couple of times. If I had known of your bourbon stock, we might have made a point of coming in (at least if we had past it after a reasonable hour for drinking). I'm sure we will be coming back (wife has more things she wants to do) and we will definitely stop in. While I'll probably pass on high price pours because I can generally taste them more economically from friends with fine bottles, your price did not seem out of line in the slightest. Even here in the land of reasonable prices, Indianapolis, the only restaurant that has PVW 23 in their list wants significantly more than your ORVW 23.

Tom

Tony

Does anyone know if the decanter is made from lead crystal? I can't seem to find any info on the bottle. It says crystal on the glassware.

It is non leaded crystal. Glencairn has gone away from leaded crystal (I think 3-4 yrs ago).

It is non leaded crystal. Glencairn has gone away from leaded crystal (I think 3-4 yrs ago).

It's true. I emailed to ask and got a response from Julian himself:

Dear Michael:

Our crystal decanter is lead free!

Thanks very much for your business.

Regards,

Julian Van Winkle

Julian P. Van Winkle, III

Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery

President

502-897-9113

We make fine Bourbon,

At a profit if we can, at

A loss if we must, but

Always Fine Bourbon

Tony,

I'm sorry those quickest to the keyboard were so inhospitable as well as ignorant of on-premise pricing practices. Welcome to straightbourbon.com and please continue to share with us the American whiskeys you're serving.

Tony,

I'm sorry those quickest to the keyboard were so inhospitable as well as ignorant of on-premise pricing practices. Welcome to straightbourbon.com and please continue to share with us the American whiskeys you're serving.

Yes, thanks for sharing. I have always wonder where I can go for some good bourbon from outside establishment. The common general pour I get is the Blanton which I don't drink at home. I have always wish for some good PVW or BTAC. I will be stopping by when I'm in the city.

You know at some bars you can get the beer taster, how about a PVW taster and a BTAC taster - one ounce five different drinks and a cup of ice on the side. :)

There are some bars, such as Bourbons Bistro in Louisville, that do bourbon flights, though not quite what you envision.

One thing I look for when I'm out, believe it or not, is Old Grand-Dad. It's a nice change of pace and something that does pop up even at bars that don't have many bourbons. Wild Turkey is another one. If they don't have either of those, I'll usually have a Jameson.

One thing I look for when I'm out, believe it or not, is Old Grand-Dad. It's a nice change of pace and something that does pop up even at bars that don't have many bourbons. Wild Turkey is another one. If they don't have either of those, I'll usually have a Jameson.

I have noticed this also. Recently had a tasty pour bought for me, from a dusty bottle of Old Grand Dad, because the grizzled regular down the bar was so impressed that someone was ordering a "man's whiskey". I wasn't about to not take him up on it, either.:cool: Also, for those in Chicagoland, I recently discovered the Hackney's chain of restaurants uses Old Fitz Prime as their bar bourbon for Manhattans etc.

Sorry to have offended the masses. Every other board I've been a part of frowns on those types of posts. Now that I know they are welcomed, I'll keep my yap shut in these instances.

A person with 13 posts to his credit should probably be circumspect about interpreting and enforcing board etiquette.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the plunge today. Three sets made it into Washington state. I am the pround owner of number 641.

33e4v45.jpg

Took the plunge today. Three sets made it into Washington state. I am the pround owner of number 641.

33e4v45.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.