What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4R1B after a long hiatus. I just got back from picking it up and stopped at the drug store for a dropper. I'm trying to figure out how many drops to put in a 2oz pour to open it up. This batch is 10, next pour I'll try 5 and see where I'm at.

I do love this stuff.

Started off with 1792 at a local bar. It was my first pour of it and will definitely be getting a bottle.

Came home and had some ORVW 10/90 that I'm trying to finish off. Call me crazy, but I picked up on some rye aroma. I KNOW it's a wheated bourbon, and chalked it up to drinking the 1792 first. I went over to Bourbon Enthusiast to check out some tasting notes and Buffalo Bill said the same thing in his review! Has anyone else picked up on this?

haven't visited this place in a good while.. wife left six months ago, both me and the mortgage. this is humiliating to admit but desperate times, etc.. in need of emergency cash (after selling all the music gear I could part with and still gig), I walked into my regular shop where I'm known by name with a majority of what i'd call my bunker stash, which wasn't too much compared to a lot of ya, but anyway with receipts in hand i was able to.. return the bottles.. i needed the money :cry:

SO this winter i'm drinking Evan Williams at $17 a handle. i kept one Pappy 15 for when i hit bottom, which will likely be any day now. cheers brothers.

I met up with Doubleblank last night in Houston...

We hit a couple liquor stores on the way down to Poison Girl downtown Houston...for anyone who will be in the area of Houston this is a MUST VISIT if you are a bourbon lover...if you're reading this most likely you are. :) Scott the owner is a SB.com member and a bourbon lover...he has probably in the area of 125-150 different bottlings behind the bar ranging from Old Crow to ORVW 23.

I decided that I would go with pours that I've never had and most likely wouldn't get the chance again to have without actually buying a bottle. I started with a pour of 07 Parkers Heritage 122.6. This is a fantastic pour if you like barrel strength bourbon...typical HH characteristics!

I followed that up with some WTAS as this has been a bottle that I have contemplated buying a number of times but at Franklin a bottle I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I was really surprised at how much I liked it as I haven't really been a Turkey lover in the past...I've really only had the WT101 and RR90...while both are solid bourbons they aren't anything special to me. The WTAS was a little dryer on entry then the PH but had a little sweeter finish that wasn't quite as long...this is to be expected though coming from 122.6 down to 100 proof. I will be adding this bottling to my list of purchases in the future. After a short conversation with Scott about the Spring G2G we decided to head back to Randy's for some other pours...

I have to say that Randy has more unique bourbon then anyone I've ever seen. We decided that we were going to open bottlings that Randy was going to pull out at the Gazebo at his house in May. We went with a SB SW Weller 12, WT Tribute, ORVW 10/107 Lawrenceburg, and OFBB 2002. All of these were different and special in their own way...the ORVW 10/107 and the OFBB 02 were the two that surprised me the most. I didn't expect to be knocked down like I was by just how good they were.

Randy, thanks again to you and Val for opening your home and bourbon cabinet to me. It was nice not to spend another night in the Gazebo on SB.com! :D

the ORVW 10/107 and the OFBB 02 were the two that surprised me the most.

That ORVW 10/107 is always good. And rather than find a bad bottle here and there, I've found it's the other way around. You find a fantastic bottle once in a while. I've found a few 10/107s that I thought were better than any of the other current VW releases. I have yet to try the ORVW23 though, but there is one on the shelf....

Bummed that there's no poker tonight, so starting with an AAA 10yr for a pick-me-upper. Don't know what to go with next, but I'm going to dig around and come up with something.

Dickel #12. Sure is sweet.

Got to get me a bottle of that soon.

Just poured a glass of ORVW 10/107.

Happened upon some early 80's Early Times Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky. Not awe inspiring, but a decent pour, nonetheless. At the end of the day, not a bad thing.

WRMCSO... love this stuff.

Following with the PS EWSB 18. N--i-i-c-c-e-e...

I've poured a few this afternoon.

I stopped off at one of my favorite retailers to check on something, but it wasn't in.

I did not need it but just because it is now possible in MI I bought a 4R1B instead.

Dixie Cup sippin' on the way home.

Also poured me some Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary.

Did a 180 turn and now sippin' on some WLarueW 2007.

Can't beat early Friday afternoons!

Gotta cool it soon and start the grill for my Bride's dinner:grin:

Having some VWFRR that Fishnbowljoe gave me a sample of the other night. What a great way to start the weekend. I'm going to have to find room on the bourbon shelf for a bottle of this.

I have been lying a bit low on whiskey a couple of days for various reasons but today I had a few. 86 proof Dickel 12 before dinner, ORVW 10/107 with the pie for dessert and WLW 2009 and OGD 114 later. The wheaters were the best and worst this evening I think. This last bottling I bought of 10/107 isn’t at all as it ones was. When it used to be a many years favourite of mine.

Leif

Started off with a solid pour of VG "Fox", ala Oscar. :D Really nice. Had to run a few errands with Mrs. Smokinjoe, where I noticed a six pack of Gosling's Ginger Beer. Picked it up, and am really enjoying it mixed with a Buffalo Trace. I'm not a big mixer...er. But, I really like this Gosling's. Some Ginger's are too bland. Some Ginger's are too bold. This one seems to be just about right. I'm quite pleased with my selection.

Can't beat early Friday afternoons!

No matter how the week went, getting off early on Friday makes up for it.

Tonight I poured the last pour of the IW Harper I received from my friend and yours, Joe Maloney and Bret! This old school IWH is one of my favorite pours... just so many layers in this pour!

Thanks again Joe!

Tony

I'm getting ready to grill steaks and having a nice pour of Old Grand Dad BiB on-the-rocks. Yummy!

The weather here has finally taken a turn for the better. Sunny, clear, and 58 degrees. I still have a light jacket on, but through yesterday, it has been downright cold.

Tim

Little Tax Stamped Early Times 80 proof. Soft subtle little bourbon. Graet when you have a sore through.

I'm getting ready to grill steaks and having a nice pour of Old Grand Dad BiB on-the-rocks. Yummy!

The weather here has finally taken a turn for the better. Sunny, clear, and 58 degrees. I still have a light jacket on, but through yesterday, it has been downright cold.

Tim

How about it, even was 50 degrees in Chicago today. Enjoying small tastes of semi dusties tonight. Grilled skirt steak while sipping some 1981 OGD, 86 proof. Followed dinner with 1979 Beam's Sour Mash, 90 proof and 101 months. Then a brief interlude with some DSP 16/24 Old Fitz BIB.

Ending with the hit of the night, from 1987, a Hannah & Hogg BIB, distilled at DSP 31 and bottled in Chicago at DSP 26. I tasted this before at one of our Chicago SB gatherings (compliments of Tommyboy) and didn't notice it much then but WOW is it good! Lots of caramel, butterscotch and light mint in juice that I would estimate close to 8 years in age. Even though the label proudly proclaims charcoal filtered it is still old style congener rich juice.

Just finished dinner with some friends. Grilled flank steak and dry rubbed chicken. Started with 2000 EWSB, AAA, Templeton Rye and fished with VWFR12. Great evening!

JD silver select and Overholt 1981 before dinner yesterday followed by WTRB 1991 after. A bit of an off day so I didn’t get any real kick.

Leif

Having a little JB Black in my coffee this morning. It's raining out, so I'm having my coffee, listening to some John Mayer and Robert Downey, and getting some things done around the house for a change. Joe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!