What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Caipirinha's at happy hour.

After a little breather and some stereo tweaking I poured myself an ER 10/90 to go with the new discs I got in the mail today from across the pond.

Winter, violin, and whiskey. A very good combination.

Welch's grape juice cut with a little carbonated mineral water (Naleczowianka). Monday is usually my non-imbibing day. You know how...."Absence makes the heart grow founder".

Tonight so far... EC12 followed by EWSB 2000. May move to some McKenna SB later. An HH night is in the works.

Starting off with ORVW 23 yr 114 proof and now I opened my one bottle of Willett 25yo 90.2 proof.

I really like the Willett, I am getting fudge like qualities.

The ORVW is great a little different than what I am used to.

Tonight so far... EC12 followed by EWSB 2000. May move to some McKenna SB later. An HH night is in the works.

I have those from time to time. I refer to them as "nights in heaven". The wife refers to them as "nights when he falls asleep early and leaves me alone".:slappin:

Tonight I cracked open my bottle of Old Rip 107. He's slept much too long under my sink. Wonderful.

Perusing the NCAA Tournament Bracket and filling out my pool sheet with a Lot B. Despite the fact that I've been a long-time Steve Alford fan, I'm trying to not talk myself into taking New Mexico into the Final 4. :rolleyes: A few more Lot B's, and I might put them in. A Stagg, and I'll have them winning it. :D

Welch's grape juice cut with a little carbonated mineral water (Naleczowianka). Monday is usually my non-imbibing day. You know how...."Absence makes the heart grow founder".

I started to read that post I though no he's not going to say and Pappy 20 :slappin:

OGD114 before dinner today, JDSS with the pie for desert and WTRB1991 just now. The turkey has grown a hack of a lot by oxidation I must say.

Leif

I opened a bottle of the '94 EWSB, and man that is yummy. A bit woody and some heat, but I like that. Very rich and manly bourbon for 86 pf.

I bought a bottle of ETL today, and threw it in the beer fridge when I got home. I've been sippin' it all night. What a great changeup to the normal warm and neat routine. I like chilled bourbon on occasion. Actually, some of my top bourbon tasting experiences have been when the bottle has been sitting out in the cold for hours. I think it softens--not "deadens"-- the flavors of a bourbon. A big distinction, in my mind. And, the ETL has enough guts to not melt away with the coolness.

I bought a bottle of ETL today, and threw it in the beer fridge when I got home. I've been sippin' it all night. What a great changeup to the normal warm and neat routine. I like chilled bourbon on occasion. Actually, some of my top bourbon tasting experiences have been when the bottle has been sitting out in the cold for hours. I think it softens--not "deadens"-- the flavors of a bourbon. A big distinction, in my mind. And, the ETL has enough guts to not melt away with the coolness.

Joe, do you think that proof makes a difference? Slightly chilled=smoother?

Joe, do you think that proof makes a difference? Slightly chilled=smoother?

Probably so, Cap'n. It probably cools down the alcohol heat more than anything. I remember having an 100 proof Old Forester Signature that had been in the trunk of Troyces car in December being very good, as well. But, I don't sense a significant dumbing down of the flavor, if the bourbon is flavorful enough to start with. Particularly as compared to bourbon on the rocks, where the ice melts and dilutes the drink. The coolness thickens it up, too. Like I said, I do enjoy it as a change-up from time to time.

Cheers!

Old Weller Antique 7yo 107prf, neat,... it's a little rough I might add a small ice cube in the next one.

Old Weller Antique 7yo 107prf, neat,... it's a little rough I might add a small ice cube in the next one.

You see any wildlife on your back porch, O?

I did have WTRB 1991 before dinner yesterday and WLW 2009 after. Both tasted very well indeed. Today I’m going on a day trip to Stockholm and I will dedicate the hole afternoon and evening to good micro beer and food as usual on these trips.

Leif

You see any wildlife on your back porch, O?

Not until it was pointed out to me.

Actually I gave up on it, I thought I was a casualty of "I forgot".

But back on topic cuz the Mods might be on the job.

I am sipping on that OWA 7/107.

I cut it and it helped, 1 oz whiskey to 0.05940 oz water, brought it down to 101 proof.

The nose is like toffee, the palate still isn't there but it is a big improvement.

Not until it was pointed out to me.

Actually I gave up on it, I thought I was a casualty of "I forgot".

But back on topic cuz the Mods might be on the job.

Not to worry Oscar. You know you have at least a little bit of leeway. :slappin: Joe

Drinking a bottle of Willett 3-Yo from the Party Source. It's surprisingly enjoyable. I bought it expecting an education in how raw a very young, barrel proof bourbon could be. And yes, the flavors aren't integrated and there's very little smell or taste of wood/vanilla but it's great. A real change from the usual. Makes for an interesting Manhattan, too.

It makes me wonder what other very young bourbons taste like if left at barrel strength and non-chillfiltered. I certainly like OGD 114, but don't know how old it is, and imagine it's chillfiltered and not quite barrel proof.

Michter's 10 year old rye. This was actually 18 years old at bottling and has a rich resinous taste. Very similar to BMH 18 rye.

I took this neat with just a dash of water.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!