Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

BunkerBooze
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since there are so many different ages of Willett bourbons and ryes, I was wondering what is the best tasting Willett bourbon and Willett rye you have ever tried?

Since there are so many different ages of Willett bourbons and ryes, I was wondering what is the best tasting Willett bourbon and Willett rye you have ever tried?

DougDog had his hand in both... 22yr Dougs Rye and the 6yr Reid bottling for Bourbon are two of the tops...

Another 2 bourbons are the 25 year BevMo (chocolate monster) and the 27yr Binnys bottling of ~22 bottles

While I cannot disagree with the above, I must throw in there the 16 yr 147 proofer that the Party source did in 2008. Im my circles, it earned 2 nicknames "Stagg Daddy" and "Chewy".

While I cannot disagree with the above, I must throw in there the 16 yr 147 proofer that the Party source did in 2008. Im my circles, it earned 2 nicknames "Stagg Daddy" and "Chewy".

That 147 proofer is a monster. I would add a bottling that Dave G. did that I believe was 16 years old. The recent E & R bottling is simply terrific.

I opened my first Willett bottle just the other day. It was a 5yr bottling by Gonano. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. I'm glad I have 3 more of the 5 yr and 2 of the 8yr with Gonano on the back.

Just why is it when then the name Willett's comes out the names Dougdoug and DGonano start flying:bowdown: .(rhetorical question )

By the way if either one of you are reading this I hope your doing well. Maybe see you in KY again.

Thanks for the support. A smart man surrounds himself with smarter men. I always invite Doug and my boys to help in the selection. Drew Kulsveen should also be complimented as he rolls out or taps into excellent barrels.

I will be in KY for the sampler. Hope to see all my good friends!

Another,...

the 25 year BevMo (chocolate monster)

Oh hell yeah, amen, F-ing A right, slap yo Mama's face, that was the ugliest bourbon I ever saw, (looked like iron contaminated river water) but worth every penny of the 2 pictures of Franklin.

I haven’t actually tasted any but the 2 22 year rye bottled for Doug. Both were excellent with the first one being one of the best whiskeys I have ever had.

Leif

I've tried several (I lost count), and here's my favorites:

Doug's 22yo Rye (possibly my favorite whiskey ever)

Doug & Reid's 18yo (very musty at first, but opens up beautifully)

Dave Ganano's 16 yo (unique dark chocolate/resin flavor due to the use of a different kind of oak)

Bourbon Society's 7 yo silver wax (best of the younger Willetts)

I have not opened it yet cuz I just ain't got around to it but I have a bottle with the following credits;

Distilled: 5-21-03

Proof: 125.4

Cooperage: Oak

Stored In Warehouse: B

Rick: 54

Barrel No: 2

Selected for: Toddy's & Dougz Fall Festival 2007

Anybody had any?

If so whud ya think?

I have not opened it yet cuz I just ain't got around to it but I have a bottle with the following credits;

Distilled: 5-21-03

Proof: 125.4

Cooperage: Oak

Stored In Warehouse: B

Rick: 54

Barrel No: 2

Selected for: Toddy's & Dougz Fall Festival 2007

Anybody had any?

If so whud ya think?

I have a couple bottles from Toddy's and one opened. I haven't tried it in a while, but I remember it being hot with a lot of spice as compared to the 16 yr that was loaded with brown sugar and much smoother. Maybe I'll do a side by side later tonight and try to come back with some notes.

I have a couple bottles from Toddy's,....

but I remember it being hot with a lot of spice as compared to the 16 yr

I have another one that I forgot about.

It is a special selection by Binny's.

The stats are as follows,

27 Years Old

138.6 Proof

Bottle No 19 of 24

Distilled: December 5, 1980

Cooperage: White Oak

Stored In Warehouse: C

Rick: NI

Barrel No: 473

It seems that Joe AKA Lost Pollito @ Binny's was trying to keep track of all 24 bottles as to where they ended up.

Hey Joe, you still have that count?

27 Years Old

138.6 Proof

Bottle No 19 of 24

It seems that Joe AKA Lost Pollito @ Binny's was trying to keep track of all 24 bottles as to where they ended up.

I know where 3 are.... Scott, Birdman has 1... not sure of the number... like 9 of 24 I think and I have #5 (unopened) and #16 (1/3 gone).

Tony has one I think.... How many did Binny's hold behind for prosperity... I hope a few.

27 Years Old

138.6 Proof

Bottle No 19 of 24

Yep. I've got the list on my desk. :grin: I think 2 are held back. That was SW juice. Very delicious. :grin: I hear we may get some more at some point. Fingers crossed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.