Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

BunkerBooze
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a couple bottles from Toddy's and one opened. I haven't tried it in a while, but I remember it being hot with a lot of spice as compared to the 16 yr that was loaded with brown sugar and much smoother. Maybe I'll do a side by side later tonight and try to come back with some notes.

I have another one that I forgot about.

It is a special selection by Binny's.

The stats are as follows,

27 Years Old

138.6 Proof

Bottle No 19 of 24

Distilled: December 5, 1980

Cooperage: White Oak

Stored In Warehouse: C

Rick: NI

Barrel No: 473

It seems that Joe AKA Lost Pollito @ Binny's was trying to keep track of all 24 bottles as to where they ended up.

Hey Joe, you still have that count?

I have one as well. One of my prize possessions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bottle 10. I Would actually like to trade this for a A.H. Hirsch 20. Please PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks!

I have bottle 10. I Would actually like to trade this for a A.H. Hirsch 20. Please PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks!

I have not opened it yet cuz I just ain't got around to it but I have a bottle with the following credits;

Distilled: 5-21-03

Proof: 125.4

Cooperage: Oak

Stored In Warehouse: B

Rick: 54

Barrel No: 2

Selected for: Toddy's & Dougz Fall Festival 2007

Anybody had any?

If so whud ya think?

I have a couple bottles from Toddy's and one opened...

Oscar, like Frank, I have one of these open, another sealed. It's very good whiskey, to be sure -- but the over-riding fact about it to me is how complex 4yo bourbon can be, and how disappointing that makes all the standard 4yo bourbons (albeit, not barrel-proof!) out there.

I'm going to agree with everyone on the Doug's Ryes. Both that I have sampled are great. I don't own any bottles but would love to. The other two Ryes that I find really special and comparable are the Bourbon DC "Iron Fist" and the Seelbach's Rathskeller Rye (I'll call it a Willett).

The Em & Reid 6yr is one of my all time favorite Bourbons. You guys deserve a medal.

The Bourbon Society 7yr never lets me down and now I wish I had the good sense to buy more when I had the chance.

Also I have a 18 yr Doug and Willy'z bourbon open that should be on this list.

So, my question is...when are we picking a sb Willet barrel? I think we could probably pick a great one together. :grin:

So, my question is...when are we picking a sb Willet barrel? I think we could probably pick a great one together. :grin:

I am in. But I think it should be a 10 yr old or better.

The finest Willett SB I've ever tasted was a 12 y/o 114 proof jewel that I think I got at the Party Source. There were only 72 bottles made. That ranks with some of the finest whiskey that I've ever tasted. Also Dave Gonano's 16 y/o was quite good.

Joe :usflag:

o, my question is...when are we picking a sb Willet barrel? I think we could probably pick a great one together.

Only if Doug, Dave, Emerald and Reid lead the charge am I confident.

There's only been one "official" Straightbourbon.com barrel purchase and that was the two Pappy 23yo SB's we did several years ago. Purchased through Binny's to facilitate shipping around the country.

Individuals and small groups of SB'ers have purchased barrels from the Kulsveens, BT, JVW, JD, WT, et al. It's getting too hard to keep track of all the single barrels that our members have participated in. I don't recall ever trying a bad one.....something with a serious flaw. Some were not my favorites in terms of flavors I look for, but were all drinkable. For example, those 4yo Willetts are a little brash to my taste, but make excellent Manhattans. As do those older Willett Ryes. My least favorite SB was done many years ago by some of us as a SB of regular ol BT. The reason it's my least favorite is that it tastes like.......regular BT. And that's not bad, just nothing special.

Randy

Only if Doug, Dave, Emerald and Reid lead the charge am I confident.
I am in. But I think it should be a 10 yr old or better.

I agree with all of the above.

Let's do it!

the two Pappy 23yo SB's we did several years ago. Purchased through Binny's to facilitate shipping around the country.

Randy

Some of the finest whisky I ever had!

With that said, I'd be up for any single barrel stuff headed by the great people of this forum.

Randy is too humble to mention the "Best" single barrel...his own "Van Blankle". He's the one who started the craze.

• 4 weeks later...

I was out today for the first time in many months (broken foot) and I stumbled upon 3 bottles of Willett 25yr, BevMo Bottling, 90.2 proof. From what i have read here this is pretty good juice (any comments???)

I purchased one thats all the cash I had on me and I plan on going back for the other two. Really looking forward to trying this one.:grin:

Some of the finest whisky I ever had!

With that said, I'd be up for any single barrel stuff headed by the great people of this forum.

I'm in!!!!!!:cool:

I have learned a valuable lesson. What you ask? Well if you look at post #47 I reported that I found 3 Willet 25 yr. and I had enough cash on me to purchase 1 bottle. Well I went back and the other 2 didn't last long.

First I hope that another SB.com member was able to get them or a least one of them. I hope that a lurker didn't get them and they end up on Ebay. I had planned on getting the other 2 for Sb.com members.

Lesson: Do not post any news on bottles until you have bought all that you want (whether they are for you or friends on the site).:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.