Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

BunkerBooze
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

........ bourbons are the 25 year BevMo (chocolate monster) ........

OK, 'fess up, who got it?

Last night a bottle of this liquid chocolate sold on eBay for $260.33 plus $16.00 shipping.

Bottle No 63 of 96.

It would have went so nice with my empty bottle of No 29.

Lesson: Do not post any news on bottles until you have bought all that you want (whether they are for you or friends on the site).:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

We've all been there.

OK, 'fess up, who got it?

Last night a bottle of this liquid chocolate sold on eBay for $260.33 plus $16.00 shipping.

Bottle No 63 of 96.

It would have went so nice with my empty bottle of No 29.

That's not a totally insane price either. Shocking for ebay.

That's not a totally insane price either. Shocking for ebay.

Yeah, it was a reasonable eBay price. 2 hundred was the original shelf price.

Confession time,....my last bid was $255.83.:rolleyes:

I have learned a valuable lesson. What you ask? Well if you look at post #47 I reported that I found 3 Willet 25 yr. and I had enough cash on me to purchase 1 bottle. Well I went back and the other 2 didn't last long.

First I hope that another SB.com member was able to get them or a least one of them. I hope that a lurker didn't get them and they end up on Ebay. I had planned on getting the other 2 for Sb.com members.

Lesson: Do not post any news on bottles until you have bought all that you want (whether they are for you or friends on the site).:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Gee, no bids yet on the WR4G starting at $219.99. :lol:

I wonder if that's the same one I traded to someone on here for something that I'd actually drink. :grin:

• 2 years later...

Followed a link from the Rye Drinking thread to here.

I've got a bottle of Willett FE 8yr Barrel 775 / 61.85% ABV - a stunner of a bourbon with deep caramel & fruit jam notes. (bottled for Vinum Distributors here in Washington state - released Fall 2012)

9463262434_a5f5dd9d6c_c.jpg

Edited by ChainWhip

Was able to sample a 21 yr Willet here in Nashville. Got to talking with a salesperson and asked if I'd like to try it. They had an opened bottle in the back. It was some amazing stuff. Not sure if there is any still around, but i knew two stores that had the 21 yr bottle for $175. I've not had a 20 or 23 yr winkle, but had to imagine it being much better.

While at Jack Rose in DC this summer, me and two buddies sampled a couple Willets. I have no idea which ones, just remember our tab split 3-ways was not a small number. Wouldn't have been two bad until on guy ordered a 21 yr Macallen as we were asking for our tab.

I have a 9yr 125 proof wheater selected by Crossroad Vintners Spring 2013 release. Compares favorably with WLW in a side by side. WLW better but not by much. Suspect similar provenance for the juice.

I have a 9yr 125 proof wheater selected by Crossroad Vintners Spring 2013 release. Compares favorably with WLW in a side by side. WLW better but not by much. Suspect similar provenance for the juice.

What barrel # is yours?

• 2 months later...
1598 ( message too short etc)

Well i just stumbled across one of these today (and left another on the shelf). Curious if you feel as strong about now as you did then?

Also managed to find a 10yr, barrel #821 at the same store. Pretty good Willett week for me given these are leftover from Spring release.

Well i just stumbled across one of these today (and left another on the shelf). Curious if you feel as strong about now as you did then?

Also managed to find a 10yr, barrel #821 at the same store. Pretty good Willett week for me given these are leftover from Spring release.

There was a lot of love for the Doug Ryes, but I have to be honest and say that the Velvet Glove bottled for the Jack Rose blew away both barrels.

is willetts source BT?

It varies and is never directly disclosed. This particular bottle was tasted by multiple people whose palates I trust much more than mine and all agreed it was BT. Clearly a wheater and did not taste at all like the Old Fitz/Larceny line from HH. Compared very favorably to WLW side by side. So to answer your question, on this single barrel bottling we believe BT was the source.

There was a lot of love for the Doug Ryes, but I have to be honest and say that the Velvet Glove bottled for the Jack Rose blew away both barrels.

I've consumed copious amounts of the two 'Doug' ryes as well as the Iron Fist and Velvet Glove selections and I must disagree.

The latter two had a harshness that wasn't present in the former, but it all depends on whose palate yours happens to follow.

I've consumed copious amounts of the two 'Doug' ryes as well as the Iron Fist and Velvet Glove selections and I must disagree.

The latter two had a harshness that wasn't present in the former, but it all depends on whose palate yours happens to follow.

Edited by tigerlam92

Not privileged by any means, just a matter of good timing.

Doug Phillips' Green Ink made an appearance at the recent Indy gathering. Now had several pours of that and the Neal/Doug. Both sublime and don't drink their proof( in a good way). I have yet to taste anything (rye or bourbon) better.

I have only tried one Willett, TPS barrel 14a, 17 y/o wheater. Stellar, in my top 3 all time bourbons.

fellas, just read my way all through this thread as I consider myself a bit of a willett fan. only had the fam estate rye (4yo I believe) and a pretty hyped bourbon so far (x/98 bottles iirc). and the rye makes for a top notch manhattan/sazerac... my local dealer just got a 18/20yo fam estate bourbon and I was wondering if those are worth a healthy amount of money... will try to get more info on the bottlings.

My nephew retired from the Navy last year after 20 years of service and his 20th wedding anniversary arrives in June. We thought a Hirsch 20 would make a really nice "20 years" gift theme.

are you guys talking about the hirsch american whiskey 20yo special reserve 96 proof by any chance? bc I might be able to pick up a bottle...

cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.