Best Tasting Willett (Bourbon and Rye)

BunkerBooze
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've only had a sample of the Willett 8 yo wheater 1789b and it was sublime. Apart from that, my expertise level is still so low that I have no idea what to buy as far as Willetts go. Still a lot to learn.

fellas, just read my way all through this thread as I consider myself a bit of a willett fan. only had the fam estate rye (4yo I believe) and a pretty hyped bourbon so far (x/98 bottles iirc). and the rye makes for a top notch manhattan/sazerac... my local dealer just got a 18/20yo fam estate bourbon and I was wondering if those are worth a healthy amount of money... will try to get more info on the bottlings.

are you guys talking about the hirsch american whiskey 20yo special reserve 96 proof by any chance? bc I might be able to pick up a bottle...

cheers

Hmm, maybe some more researching on Willett and Hirsch would be useful for you. There are tons of other good threads as well.

For Willett, the consensus is truly, you will need to know what bottle or barrel you are buying. Every other barrel could be night and day different for say Willet 18 year or 20 year. So you either need to know the barrel number or name on the bottle to know exactly what you are getting. If you are going blind then at least pick the person who chose the barrel not the bottle itself.

For Hirsch 20, please don't jump into conclusion yet :). People reference Hirsch 20 for many different things and some are truly sublime other maybe not. Also lots of confusion with Hirsch and AH Hirsch as well.

Cheers

I would love to try one (bourbon or rye) but all I ever see are the younger ryes. The price point and potential for variance steer me to other options. I am going to have to ask the manager at my local store what he suggests from his stock. The 8 year old wheater the Bingster tasted sounds pretty good.

@tigerlam: got quite some new infos on willett and their business model in this and some other thread. would you mind referencing me some threads that might heighten my hirsch-knowledge? gonna use the search function but happily acceptin help ;)

• 4 months later...
I have another one that I forgot about.

It is a special selection by Binny's.

The stats are as follows,

27 Years Old

138.6 Proof

Bottle No 19 of 24

Distilled: December 5, 1980

Cooperage: White Oak

Stored In Warehouse: C

Rick: NI

Barrel No: 473

It seems that Joe AKA Lost Pollito @ Binny's was trying to keep track of all 24 bottles as to where they ended up.

Hey Joe, you still have that count?

I have bottle number 18.

hey all, was looking for anyone who has had the 10yr barrel #1295. I did a search and found fellow hoosier old dusty scored a bottle last year. mind sharing any tasting notes?

hey all, was looking for anyone who has had the 10yr barrel #1295. I did a search and found fellow hoosier old dusty scored a bottle last year. mind sharing any tasting notes?

I haven't tried that many Willetts but I did like some that I tried and brought back from Japan, Willett 17 year barrel #3706 and 8 year barrel #6536. I also liked the 9 year old Willett that Bill brought to the last GBS meetup, it had a strong peanut butter flavor.

Peanut butter is a pretty rare descriptive for whiskey. Last time I ran across that was Auchentoshan three wood I had years ago.

I have most only had the 4 year and (currently open) a 3 year rye. Oddly, the 3 year is less rye like and more bourbon like. Very smooth in comparison to the 4 years, probably the best Willett I've had.

I haven't been lucky enough to find that many WFE's in the wild but the best two by far have a 10yr Barrel # 824 at 127.2 that I found at Julio's and a 12 year private barrel from Yankee Spirits Barrel #385 at 123.1 proof. The 12 year was highly recommended so I bought 3 untasted and tasted that night and immediately ordered 3 more. I wish my budget was bigger because I would have bought out the barrel. Just amazing. Chocolate cocoa lusciousness.

Although I've had some very enjoyable Willetts, one that stands out was a 25 year-old that was bottled at least 5-6 years ago for Pacific Edge or BevMo -- my memory is a little rusty. It's remarkable to me for two reasons: first, because I don't tend to like extra-aged bourbons, and second, because it was the chocolatiest bourbon I can remember tasting. It was like drinking an oak-chip chocolate bar dunked in alcohol. Does anyone else remember this bottling? I recall that it was at a relatively low proof, and had a black wax top but not much else.

Although I've had some very enjoyable Willetts, one that stands out was a 25 year-old that was bottled at least 5-6 years ago for Pacific Edge or BevMo -- my memory is a little rusty. It's remarkable to me for two reasons: first, because I don't tend to like extra-aged bourbons, and second, because it was the chocolatiest bourbon I can remember tasting. It was like drinking an oak-chip chocolate bar dunked in alcohol. Does anyone else remember this bottling? I recall that it was at a relatively low proof, and had a black wax top but not much else.

There is a reference earlier in this thread to the "Chocolate Monster" a 25 yr BevMo bottling. I haven't sampled it but seems to be fairly renowned on the board. Probably the same one you reference. The cocoa/chocolate taste seems to crop up in the older Willetts. I just sampled a 17 and a 16 that both had that flavor. The 17 in spades.

There is a reference earlier in this thread to the "Chocolate Monster" a 25 yr BevMo bottling.

D'oh! Right on the first page! Thank you for the re-direct, Old Dusty. That's the one -- the "Chocolate Monster." Man, was it ever. To have been able to afford a stockpile of that stuff... but I'll make myself cry salty, non-chocolately tears if I keep thinking such thoughts.

D'oh! Right on the first page! Thank you for the re-direct, Old Dusty. That's the one -- the "Chocolate Monster." Man, was it ever. To have been able to afford a stockpile of that stuff... but I'll make myself cry salty, non-chocolately tears if I keep thinking such thoughts.

Just vat whatever you're drinking with a little hot cocoa, and voila!

• 2 months later...
i do have that bottle but it is on deck for opening. Sorry no notes yet. Was told by the purveyor that it was wheated mash, but can't confirm.

Old Dusty I was wondering if you had opened that 10yr #1295 yet? I was just able to snag a bottle of it and would love to hear your opinion on it

Not yet-big on deck circle:grin:

A friend has one open and I will ask and also try to open mine this weekend.

Not yet-big on deck circle:grin:

A friend has one open and I will ask and also try to open mine this weekend.

Totally understandable. Thanks, I appreciate the response and let me know your thoughts if you are able to try some

Old Dusty I was wondering if you had opened that 10yr #1295 yet? I was just able to snag a bottle of it and would love to hear your opinion on it

Hey Tim, since you have a bottle, why don't you pop that sucker and give us YOUR opinion of it!!

:toast:

Hey Tim, since you have a bottle, why don't you pop that sucker and give us YOUR opinion of it!!

:toast:

Normally that is exactly what I would do. But I generally split my finds with a buddy and in this case I was able to grab an 8yr willett and a 10yr willett. I'm trying to figure out which one to keep and which one to let him have. Not that I won't be able to have some pours from the one I give up, but I'd like to find out any info beforehand

• 2 weeks later...

Any insight on that Willett 1295, may have a chance to purchase a bottle and wanted to see if it was wheated and tasting notes

The best I had was a recent 23 year for Liquor Barn and a 10 year for Westport whiskey & wine (barrel 2070). Outstanding bourbons. I think the 10 year was slightly better.

The best I had was a recent 23 year for Liquor Barn and a 10 year for Westport whiskey & wine (barrel 2070). Outstanding bourbons. I think the 10 year was slightly better.

I completely agree on the 2070. Tried some at a Bardstown restaurant during Sampler and have been looking for a bottle ever since. :)

Edited by Old Dusty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.