OscarV

Four Roses 10 Recipes

Kepler
Just now, 0895 said:

the 2013 bottle that I’ve never owned of course! 😉
My memories of my tasting of it are fond.... and I don’t remember much from that night. 🙂

All of these are pretty good 

My rankings tonight are:

1.  2015 (love you, Jim)

2.  2018 (love you too, Brent)

3.  2019 (just damn good 4R)

4.  2016 (good oaky, but slightly bitter and awkward next to it’s friends)

5.  2014 (a bit too oak heavy and one dimensional for me)

6.  2017 (I still don’t care much for the raspberries mixed with dirt flavor in this release.  And before anyone gives me crap about that bottle having the lowest liquid level in it, it’s because I’ve been sharing it with friends, etc, to move it along closer to empty).

Awesome lineup, and I do sincerely mean awesome.  But for me the Al Young 50th beats all of those.

• I like it 1

MM818

How does the Four Roses community think about OBSK? I know it’s well regarded. But I haven’t had this particular recipe. I’m eyeing a store pick barrel proof at 120 proof. 8 years 8 months in the barrel. $90.  It’s at the higher end of alcohol content that I enjoy. Normally I would buy without much thought but I’m not sure I trust the people doing the selecting. 

Richnimrod
4 hours ago, MM818 said:

How does the Four Roses community think about OBSK? I know it’s well regarded. But I haven’t had this particular recipe. I’m eyeing a store pick barrel proof at 120 proof. 8 years 8 months in the barrel. $90.  It’s at the higher end of alcohol content that I enjoy. Normally I would buy without much thought but I’m not sure I trust the people doing the selecting. 

That last part is paramount!      Have you tasted anything they've chosen?   Did 'they' actually choose this barrel, or was it decided for 'em by the distiller, or distributor (this happens)?

The folx who actually decide what (or if any) barrel will be selected make ALL the difference.   I've tasted several OBSK's that were bold, spicy, moderately sweet, and very tasty, with lovely noses, excellent finishes, etc.    However, I have also taste a couple that were only OK... and one that was definitely subpar, and that one was about the same age as the one proposed by your query (though that is coincidental, not indicative, because some of the best were around this age with one even younger; and a couple were older... one of 'em about 3-years older).

So, my advice?   Get a taste or two before deciding about laying down nearly a 'hundo' for a bottle of Bourbon.   (These were around $60 not all that long ago.)

Good luck!   4-R pix can be lovely; but fewer have been in the last couple years than several years ago.

• I like it 1