Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Possible. But Four Roses has told us that you have to come to them if you want a barrel. Not that I mind! :D

But they might make exceptions for state liquor agencies or big accounts. I don't think they should but certainly wouldn't be surprised if they do.  

47 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You were always able to put the side label with logo and age on the OBSV 100 pf store selects. It is just that they haven't been around much of late because they only recently restarted barrel selections for them after a hiatus of 2 or so years.

Thanks for that info. Cheers.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Possible. But Four Roses has told us that you have to come to them if you want a barrel. Not that I mind! :D

But they might make exceptions for state liquor agencies or big accounts. I don't think they should but certainly wouldn't be surprised if they do.  

I'm pretty sure VA doesn't travel and do picks ( and I really hope they would have picked a PS one if they did). I have to imagine they purchase a lot though (for example they received 114 bottles of Al Young this year). 

9 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm pretty sure VA doesn't travel and do picks ( and I really hope they would have picked a PS one if they did). I have to imagine they purchase a lot though (for example they received 114 bottles of Al Young this year). 

As much as a lot of us here in the "enthusiast community" are cask strength enthusiasts the general buying public seems to be less so, at least at the store I work with. So I am not that surprised that they would want the 100 pf single barrel rather than a cask strength pick.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

As much as a lot of us here in the "enthusiast community" are cask strength enthusiasts the general buying public seems to be less so, at least at the store I work with. So I am not that surprised that they would want the 100 pf single barrel rather than a cask strength pick.

FWIW, I was hesitant to buy that VA OBSV pick @ 100 proof just because it was not a cask strength.  OTOH, with the 4R barrel proof picks, I almost always add a small cube after tasting it neat the first time (to figure out what size cube works best).  The VA pick is worth the $44+ IMO even at 100 proof.  In other words, I think Bruce is correct.  Also, VA ABC gets x-more bottles by selling it at 100 proof instead of barrel strength.

21 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, I was hesitant to buy that VA OBSV pick @ 100 proof just because it was not a cask strength.  OTOH, with the 4R barrel proof picks, I almost always add a small cube after tasting it neat the first time (to figure out what size cube works best).  The VA pick is worth the $44+ IMO even at 100 proof.  In other words, I think Bruce is correct.  Also, VA ABC gets x-more bottles by selling it at 100 proof instead of barrel strength.

I know they get more bottles this way, but I figured they would still make more selling the PS at $70-$75 ( I don't know MSRP on it but it usually has pretty decent premium to the single barrel). And at $45, they sold the VA selected barrels at the same price they sell the normal single barrel (although they didn't put them on sale when the single barrel currently is). 

I did pick pick up a bottle of barrel #2 but haven't tried it yet. Do you happen to know which barrel you got Harry?

15 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I know they get more bottles this way, but I figured they would still make more selling the PS at $70-$75 ( I don't know MSRP on it but it usually has pretty decent premium to the single barrel). And at $45, they sold the VA selected barrels at the same price they sell the normal single barrel (although they didn't put them on sale when the single barrel currently is). 

I did pick pick up a bottle of barrel #2 but haven't tried it yet. Do you happen to know which barrel you got Harry?

"Barrel #1.  Aged 8 years."  AKA - Warehouse 5N, Barrel No. 47-3L.  I figured that, for the same price as the regular SiB, how could I miss?  And, I was right.

On 8/25/2017 at 3:47 PM, The Black Tot said:

I've only had a few ceremonies under my belt so far, but they've been good ones and I know I've got the faith. It won't be long before I feel comfortable identifying as a cultist.

It's a good thing I don't live near a "10 recipe store", I'd be broke as a joke!!!

Hang on, such a thing as '10 recipe stores' exist?? Where?

41 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

They definitely do

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Absolutely agree. Now Makers may be an anomaly with their long standing loyal drinkers. But in stores here that carry MM cask I could guess from subjective shelf observation they sell 20 regular to every cask. Sure some of it is price driven but many, even experienced drinkers, have Everclear-grain alcohol association and fears when you get over 100 proof.  

18 minutes ago, T Comp said:

Absolutely agree. Now Makers may be an anomaly with their long standing loyal drinkers. But in stores here that carry MM cask I could guess from subjective shelf observation they sell 20 regular to every cask. Sure some of it is price driven but many, even experienced drinkers, have Everclear-grain alcohol association and fears when you get over 100 proof.  

I understand this, but as far as I know they got two barrels for the entire state.  I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have a problem selling those over the entire state (It seemed like each store around here got 6 bottles).

21 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Binny's and The Party Source used to have many or all recipes on hand at various times but getting all 10 at once has gotten harder to do with more allocation happening. And people are buying them with greater frequency of course so they probably can't keep up with demand. Not sure either store even has one PS on hand at present which is a bit sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the various affordable, 10+ yo BP selects by MS Walker you can find throughout MA? I am a bit skeptical, given that's more a distributor pick (?) than a store pick with someone you can actually chat with doing the picking. And they tend to sit on the shelves and remain below market prices; maybe that's a good thing!

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Any thoughts on the various affordable, 10+ yo BP selects by MS Walker you can find throughout MA? I am a bit skeptical, given that's more a distributor pick (?) than a store pick with someone you can actually chat with doing the picking. And they tend to sit on the shelves and remain below market prices; maybe that's a good thing!

My least favorite 4R pick is a 11 yr 6 month OBSQ from a store where I like literally every other pick I have ever purchased from them including other brands, one of my favorites is a "Distributor Pick" that was a 9 yr OESK no branding on the side label whatsoever and was available in a few stores in Northern NJ. My point being really you wouldn't know if you like anyone's picks if you don't try them and past success doesn't guarantee future results. For those of us in states where you can't try before you buy there is always some risk to buying a store pick.  Unless the store moves tons of other store picks and bottles in that price range I wouldn't worry about them sitting on the shelf, there are only a couple stores in NJ that clear inventory of store picks relatively quickly, a few of the best stores still have great store picks from a couple years ago at great prices!

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

My least favorite 4R pick is a 11 yr 6 month OBSQ from a store where I like literally every other pick I have ever purchased from them including other brands, one of my favorites is a "Distributor Pick" that was a 9 yr OESK no branding on the side label whatsoever and was available in a few stores in Northern NJ. My point being really you wouldn't know if you like anyone's picks if you don't try them and past success doesn't guarantee future results. For those of us in states where you can't try before you buy there is always some risk to buying a store pick.  Unless the store moves tons of other store picks and bottles in that price range I wouldn't worry about them sitting on the shelf, there are only a couple stores in NJ that clear inventory of store picks relatively quickly, a few of the best stores still have great store picks from a couple years ago at great prices!

Thanks for the insights! All right... I've been told similar stories so many times on SB.com that I should probably stop thinking, start drinking, and decide for myself.

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the insights! All right... I've been told similar stories so many times on SB.com that I should probably stop thinking, start drinking, and decide for myself.

^^^^^ THIS!!!    It's always the right decision!    You GO, Kane.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:13 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

How old was the 100 proof OBSV store pick?

48 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Um . . . I don't know.:rolleyes:  I finished the bottle before the end of September.  I know I finished it before 30 SEP because the bottle's not in the current recycle bin which is almost empty, and I know I dumped the recycles on Monday, 2 OCT.  So, I can't look on the label.

And, no, I am NOT ashamed I don't remember its age OR the rapidity with which I finished it.  I did notice how good it was, hence the rapidity.  AND, I don't know the age or proof of its replacement - the OESV I picked up WED 4 Oct - because it is still in my car trunk waiting for shelf space.B)

• I like it 1

On 10/7/2017 at 8:20 PM, Mako254 said:

VA ABC got two barrels. I believe they were both aged 8 years. 

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, JoeTerp said:

VA ABC got two barrels. I believe they were both aged 8 years. 

image.thumb.jpeg.eab68f0c7bb90084af67a63699b388ec.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...

Last night I pulled out all 10 4R recipes and "tasted the rainbow" with a few friends.

Although a bit overwhelming for the taste buds, I had a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed listening to what everyone was experiencing.

My takeaway is that 4R is just really darn good bourbon in any of its forms.

:)

IMAG3376.jpg

IMAG3378.jpg

• I like it 5

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Last night I pulled out all 10 4R recipes and "tasted the rainbow" with a few friends.

Although a bit overwhelming for the taste buds, I had a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed listening to what everyone was experiencing.

My takeaway is that 4R is just really darn good bourbon in any of its forms.

:)

IMAG3376.jpg

IMAG3378.jpg

That sounds awesome. That one Jim Rutledge bottle looks like it’s almost done. Sadly I’ve been noticing a diminishing amount of gold neck bands on my bar as well. 

Curious us as to the group opinions on favorites or the groups thoughts in general. 

19 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

That sounds awesome. That one Jim Rutledge bottle looks like it’s almost done. Sadly I’ve been noticing a diminishing amount of gold neck bands on my bar as well. 

Curious us as to the group opinions on favorites or the groups thoughts in general. 

Everyone seemed to have different likes/dislikes.  We also added some water and went back through them, which changed things yet again.

My favorite last night was probably OBSQ.  

The O yeast bottles remain my least favorite.

That gold neck band bottle is an OESK gift shop bottle from early 2016.  It's actually an Elliot pick before they changed away from the gold neck band.

Edited by 0895

V yeast has been hitting for me lately. 

This 9yr 3 month in particular has been great. 

A1C25B08-6DFE-464B-A035-1A9FDA9CFDD4.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.