Hoarding PVW 15

RWBadley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's BT-owned wheated bourbon, but it may be a combination of BT-made and Bernheim-made juice.

And do we know it's not SW?

I don't know, this one had pictures.

We should feel honored to have a corgi thread drift within our midst! :lol:

Here's a playmate, Coco

post-3572-14489816442363_thumb.jpg

I don't want to get anyone paranoid as I know how easily us bourbon nuts do, but was wondering if anybody else has heard about any possible change coming to PVW15? While on my cross country drive a store owner in Idaho told me his distributor mentioned it was going to be different in the near future. He mentioned lower proof, no age, or going away all together. I told him I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to bourbon and couldn't imagine anything like that especially since the Pappy 15 label itself really wasn't that old, but he was pretty adamant that he heard something...

Anyway, I am sure it was probably just a distributor trying to stir demand which it doesn't need as there wasn't a single bottle in Idaho, but thought I'd see if anyone else had heard anything.

What the hell is wrong with (the best of) BT stock?

It has the lowest level of Unobtainium of any stock that Weller/VW uses.

It used to be that Bernheim wheater stock didn't have enough Unobtainium, but it's getting more every year. :grin:

Roger

I like the Unobtainium theory, but when Julian reconfigured the line, he said he had enough SW left to keep the Pappys SW for some time to come. Straight line math from the date of the distillery closing doesn't account for what Julian has dumped and set aside in stainless for future bottlings, or may even still be aging some Pappy 20 or 23.

2010 - 1992 = 18

As I've said about Lot B. When it's that good, who cares where it came from?

It has the lowest level of Unobtainium of any stock that Weller/VW uses.

It used to be that Bernheim wheater stock didn't have enough Unobtainium, but it's getting more every year. :grin:

Roger

Do we need to start a war or somethin' to get more of this Unob-whatever-it-is into our wikkey? The spirit of Pappy must not die out with SW stocks. I think we may have to drill for it, baby. Drill.

Signed,

He Who Stands With Wheat

Possibly one should just taste it and determine for themselves if it is S-W..... at the end of the day does it really matter what it is if you like it?

I suspect that 99% of "aficionado's" could not tell the difference between all the S-W variations, blends, recipe remakes, shadowed distilled, etc. if put in a blind tasting..... they would however know what they like the best. I suspect once the label is hidden most experts develop quite a pedestrian palate that is not better than most mere mortals....

You are absolutely correct. I have had Stitzel Weller bourbon that ranged from outstanding to mediocre. I could not tell the difference between Stitzel Weller variations. Taste it before passing judgement on van Winkle products.

You are absolutely correct. I have had Stitzel Weller bourbon that ranged from outstanding to mediocre. I could not tell the difference between Stitzel Weller variations. Taste it before passing judgement on van Winkle products.

I agree, but I swear there's something about that s-w (Not S-W) nose.

I suspect that 99% of "aficionado's" could not tell the difference between all the S-W variations, blends, recipe remakes, shadowed distilled, etc. if put in a blind tasting..... they would however know what they like the best. I suspect once the label is hidden most experts develop quite a pedestrian palate that is not better than most mere mortals....

I think it is along the same lines as the famed "Cuban cigar". I had one last night, it wasn't even close to the Dominican I had a few days ago. But most people who smoke, and virtually all of them that do not would say NO WAY! CUBANS ARE THE BEST!!!

Why is it that most think that S-W juice is infallible? Does not all distilleries have bad releases? Or low end econo stuff? Was S-W magically spared from this?

That isn't really a fair comparison. You are correct that there are plenty of easily obtainable cigars that are just as good as the best Cubans. However, Cuban cigars earned their reputation before the trade became the mainstream hobby it is today. Most cigar aficionados will tell you they have preferences, but there is not a significant difference in quality between the premium labels of differing regions. Monte Cristo #2 still have a place in my humidor, but that is only because they were one of the first Cubans I ever had. Just like bourbon, I have my preferences (I don't like rye) but I don't deny that there are great ryes out there.

For me it also goes the other way too. We are expecting that it would taste the same, what happen if it doesn't taste the same. True, if it tastes as good to me as now then that’s great and I will purchase the new stuff. For now, I know I like the SW stock and the line of Van Winkle that uses the SW stock. I also believe in Julian's selection and tastes. But what happen if the new juice is not quite the same. Further, it could still be very good but not what I like anymore. So, since I know what I like now and the price is acceptable for me, I'm going to stock it up.

I'm actually worry that 1992 + 20 years = 2012 that after 2012 the PVW20 will have to change and keeping it consistent or at least as good as it is now may be quite uncertain.

I have been bunkering PVW20 and PVW15 as well as some PVW23.

Cheers

--Hugh

Here we go adrift again..... Havana cigars are different, not better but different. IMO, they provide a different flavor profile as well as in many cases, IMO, greater complexity. Where many NC's focus on strength to carry flavor the Havana's seem to be able to pull it off with their less powerful cigars ie... HdM, ERdM, SP.... Overall most Havana's are lightweights in the current strength arena. Lastly, the Havana's, IMO, age much more gracefully than their Caribbean cousin's with many 8-12 year old cigars just beginning to smoke well.

I find the NC's to be like big, full flavored Aussie jelly wines that are very enjoyable but don't have the complexity to keep ones interest much past the first glass. A great aged ERdM Tainos is much more like an 1982 Mouton.... elegant.

I am not suggesting one is better, just different...... and to each their own.....

I'm actually worry that 1992 + 20 years = 2012 that after 2012 the PVW20 will have to change and keeping it consistent or at least as good as it is now may be quite uncertain.

Here in Europe pappy 15 is almost impossible to find witch is a pity as the last bottle I tasted from was the best ever of that brand to my personal taste. 20 and 23 are no problem to get for those how want though.

Leif

• 1 month later...

Well, Red Wagon is at it again. Pappy 15 has been out of the State for a couple of months now and today I found it at my favorite retailer (infer sarcasm) and there sitting on the shelf were 3-4 bottles of Pappy 15. Except they were asking $89.95! :hot: State min is still $64.95. Bastards!! Needless to say I will wait to some of the other stores get the stuff in.

Well, Red Wagon is at it again. Pappy 15 has been out of the State for a couple of months now and today I found it at my favorite retailer (infer sarcasm) and there sitting on the shelf were 3-4 bottles of Pappy 15. Except they were asking $89.95! :hot: State min is still $64.95. Bastards!! Needless to say I will wait to some of the other stores get the stuff in.

Damn! That's practically what Pappy 20 goes for around here.

That party store used to be very good, but since they moved to their new facility they think their customers got stupid and are charging outrageous prices for certain items. They've become the type of store I avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Binny's HP sold out a case pretty quickly I'm told at around $55. I got a Pappy 20 for $99.

Binny's HP sold out a case pretty quickly I'm told at around $55. I got a Pappy 20 for $99.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.