What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2010

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't been to the store yet today but I do plan on going...thinking that I'll either pick up a OFBB 2008 or a OGD 114.

It's fitting that it's snowing in Chicago right now...welcome spring! :grin:

ORvWset800.jpg

I hit the Gazebo Thursday night for the first time in months and there was talk of this special release. I think it was TomH who was going to Binnys south loop to pick some up Friday. Turned out to be an expensive session. I'd seen it at Binny's Highland Park, but wasn't sure. I called my friend Dave Friday morning (luckily it was still there) and put it on hold. Picked it up last night. Hopefully I'll open it today--no reason to wait. Someone mentioned vanilla on the nose over in the Special Bottlings forum and that's something I like about Pappy 20.

ORvWbottle2800.jpg

Nice pick up Ken! Stop in the gazebo more often. We'll help you spend some more money. :grin: Joe

Went to the Party Source yesterday and didn't purchase anything.

I think I need to call some friends to talk me through this.

Since the weather's improved here, it's been a busy couple of days.

I picked up my 3 bottles of Lot B yesterday, and today I followed that up with a PVW 15 and a bottle of ORVW 10/107.

The pours of Lot B were thoroughly enjoyed last night!

To celebrate getting a check that I didn't think I was ever going to get. Better yet from a lawyer. Went out and found a bottle of Stagg 09.

AA 10 Star. It may not be 10yr but for a 90proof BT product at 12.50 Its a good deal.

It's not bourbon, but yesterday I picked up High West Rendezvous Rye (Batch 30, bottle 241, if it matters). With a 95 MA rating, and priced at $36, it was practically screaming, "take me home." I have some WTRR rye to compare it with when I get to opening it.

As for bourbon, a few days ago, I walked into a supermarket liquor store I had not been in for several years. I don't remember it having a great selection then and it's a little out of my way, but anyway here I was. A quick glance at the top shelf in the bourbon section and the velvet bags immediately caught my eye. That's Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23! And next to that, nearly the whole lineup: PVW15, VWFRR13, Lot B, ORWV10/107. I usually don't see Van Winkle here in New Jersey, and the prices are currently beyond my means, but it was nice to finally them all proudly on display. After looking through the rest of their selection, I took one more drooling glance at the top shelf. This time actually looking at the prices: PVW23 $205, PWV20 $95, PWV15 $50, VWFRR13 $55, Lot B (12yo) $48, ORWV10/107 $35. All arranged in age order.

Wait a minute, something seemed wrong there. The 15 was only $2 more than the 12? I'm sure I paid $50 for Lot B last year in PA for my b-day present to myself. Yes, I'm pretty sure the 15 should be $60-70/bottle. So naturally I couldn't let the opportunity pass and I grabbed the PVW15, so I can give it a nice home. I might wait a while until I open it. However, I do have an unopened Vintage Bourbon 17 Years Old just staring at me, daring me to compare. We'll see.

Matt

... a few days ago, I walked into a supermarket liquor store I had not been in for several years....A quick glance at the top shelf in the bourbon section and the velvet bags immediately caught my eye. That's Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23! And next to that, nearly the whole lineup: PVW15, VWFRR13, Lot B, ORWV10/107.

Grab that VWFRR13! You may not get another chance at that outstanding rye.

It's not bourbon, but yesterday I picked up High West Rendezvous Rye (Batch 30, bottle 241, if it matters). With a 95 MA rating, and priced at $36, it was practically screaming, "take me home." I have some WTRR rye to compare it with when I get to opening it.

Matt

I have a bit of non-buyers remorse myself regarding the Rendezvous Rye. I had wanted to get some of that or the 16 y/o Rye from High West this weekend, but I got enough of a look when I got home that I probably made the right decision. I am having similar feelings about the

Anyway, I found this little hole-in-the-wall liquor store at the South Loop in Chicago this weekend and picked up a few things:

1 Four Roses BS Binny's OBSK

1 Elijah Craig 18 SB, Binny's select

1 Baby Saz, Binny's Select

1 Virginia Lightning

For the last one, I was mocked by a certain employee at this store. I countered that it is the finest unaged corn whiskey on the market. The mocking continued. I countered that it was micro-distilling at its finest!

It's so hard to find good help these days :lol:

1 Virginia Lightning

For the last one, I was mocked by a certain employee at this store. I countered that it is the finest unaged corn whiskey on the market. The mocking continued. I countered that it was micro-distilling at its finest!

Not to defend a certain non-named employee, but I don't understand how you could pick an unaged corn whiskey over and unaged spirit that screamed "MANGO" (I think it was a wheat spirit, but can't remember for sure).

Tom

Thanks to Tom I was able to save a 2008 WLW from collecting more dust on my way through Indy this afternoon. I also picked up another bottle of FR Yellow to give to my manhatten drinking friends! :) Now I'm off to save a couple FR Mariages from the same fait in Louisville. :cool:

Ok...so I saved a bit more from Louisville...

4 2009 FR Mariage

2 Willett 6yr Emerald/Reid bottling

1 Weller 12 SW

1 BT Cream Liquor

I hope I don't get stopped on my way back to Chicago! :D

4 2009 FR Mariage

1 Weller 12 SW

1 BT Cream Liquor

Nice haul! I'm mad jealous.

Not to defend a certain non-named employee, but I don't understand how you could pick an unaged corn whiskey over and unaged spirit that screamed "MANGO" (I think it was a wheat spirit, but can't remember for sure).

Tom

Yeah, it was the Koval wheat. The rye had that same weird tropical fruit nose and taste. It was interesting but not interesting enough to lay down some dollar bills. I do regret not picking up a bottle of the millet or oat spirit, tho. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to go back to Binny's...

I know and already love the Virginia Lightning, so it was an easy choice. It's technically available in Michigan but it is very hard to find. Still it's one of my favorite late spring/summer pours. Really great stuff.

4 2009 FR Mariage

1 Weller 12 SW

1 BT Cream Liquor

You have a remarkable taste in whiskey :rolleyes:

Since I really like the WLW now, I just purchased two bottle of WLW 2007 (117.9 proof). Some said this may be one of the best. I have enjoyed the WLW09 tremendously so can't wait to get the 2007.

In the store and there is 1 bottle of Stagg on the shelf. I grap them it for this the last of the Stagg the owner will get this year. Great, 1 more GTS 09' for the bunker. A couple days later I am looking at the bottle and it says proof: 140.6. I look at a couple of the other GTS that I have and they all say 141.4. So I look it up and the latest purchase is a 2006 vintage. Thinking, what the hell, MI can barely get any BTAC, now there is old stuff mixed in with new releases.

More to the point, what's everybody's opinion on the 06' v 09'? Better yet, what are the preferences for the past 5 years, say 05 thru 09?

I have a bit of non-buyers remorse myself regarding the Rendezvous Rye. I had wanted to get some of that or the 16 y/o Rye from High West this weekend, but I got enough of a look when I got home that I probably made the right decision. I am having similar feelings about the

Anyway, I found this little hole-in-the-wall liquor store at the South Loop in Chicago this weekend and picked up a few things:

1 Four Roses BS Binny's OBSK

1 Elijah Craig 18 SB, Binny's select

1 Baby Saz, Binny's Select

1 Virginia Lightning

Bought another bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select and 2 bottles of Rittenhouse Rye 100.

Got my first bottle of WT101 since I really started ENJOYING bourbon. I should of picked one up earlier, this stuff is damn good.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!