Knob Creek Single Barrel

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've already seen a couple of places that supposedly have had their own barrel of KC bottled. Both were up in Wisconsin. Probably the program where the distillery picked a barrel for them, or just put stickers on bottles. :skep: Both places had a nice barrel display with KC t-shirts and hats, and had a sign stating, "Bottled Exclusively For -------". Joe

A place I was working did a Knob Creek Single Barrel back in 2000/2001. We got to go down to do the selection and tour the distillery with Fred Noe.

A KC single barrel would be cool, but why would anybody pay $5-8k for a barrel without tasting it? Sounds like a huge gamble, and I'll bet we see very few of these bottlings, and that none are special enough to warrant the effort.

I know at least three stores in Livonia and Ann Arbor that have their own Knob Creek single barrel. Two store owners told me that they had to buy the entire barrel.

They have a cutaway barrel and if memory is correct the store's name on a wooden bottle holder.

Somehow I resisted buying one.

I know at least three stores in Livonia and Ann Arbor that have their own Knob Creek single barrel. Two store owners told me that they had to buy the entire barrel.

They have a cutaway barrel and if memory is correct the store's name on a wooden bottle holder.

Somehow I resisted buying one.

I didn't think that was legal in the Great Lakes State. I wouldn't mind being pm'ed their locations.

They did some of these for some of the higher volume stores in Ohio around the holidays several years back. They had a nice suede leather type bag and a copper neck tag that listed the store that got the barrel. The cases from the barrel then were used to build a store display and promote the brand. I bought one because the bag was neat but haven't opened it yet. I had received a handle of KC as a gift the year before and it was already open. Maybe I'll bring it to the next sampler!

Thomas

The Virginia did a single barrel, or should I say several single barrel Knob Creeks

post-1354-14489816786729_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816786976_thumb.jpg

I think they should do one for Pennsylvania, and close it out right away at 9.95, like they do for everything else. Oh, that's right, the only bourbon left on the shelf in PA is Beam so we'll have to wait a month or so before we clear it out.

Joe :usflag:

I've seen this in a couple of stores in MA (Julio's included). The store ends up with a nice cut open display barrel and each bottle is in a wooden box.

From what I hear Beam picks the barrel, the customer doesn't.....

In Virginia, at least, they were picked by Fred Noe.

In Virginia, at least, they were picked by Fred Noe.

Excellent point Chuck...... not sure if that is always the case with KC SB's

I think they should do one for Pennsylvania, and close it out right away at 9.95, like they do for everything else. Oh, that's right, the only bourbon left on the shelf in PA is Beam so we'll have to wait a month or so before we clear it out.

Joe :usflag:

Virginia just closed out WT KS at $26 and WT RR at $16...... Go figure

WARNING OFF TOPIC:

I heard that the VA gov wants to get out of the liquor business and privatize and sell liquor licences to any retailer that wants one.

WARNING OFF TOPIC:

I heard that the VA gov wants to get out of the liquor business and privatize and sell liquor licences to any retailer that wants one.

Yep.... working hard at it

Last night I had dinner with Bill Newlands, Senior VP of Beam Global, and asked him about Knob Creek Single Barrel. He confirmed that it is indeed a reality, and they're slated for a January 2011 roll-out. I asked about the reports of sightings in VA and other markets. Bill assured me that these were KC "buy a barrel" bottlings, and NOT the single barrel.

I also asked him how he felt about concerns that the Maker's 46 would cannibalize from traditional Maker's consumers. He made a valid point that - up until now - Maker's fans had nowhere else to go but outside the brand if they were wanting to experience a different taste profile. Maker's 46 allows the Maker consumer to stay 'within the family'.

Last night I had dinner with Bill Newlands, Senior VP of Beam Global, and asked him about Knob Creek Single Barrel. He confirmed that it is indeed a reality, and they're slated for a January 2011 roll-out. I asked about the reports of sightings in VA and other markets. Bill assured me that these were KC "buy a barrel" bottlings, and NOT the single barrel.

I also asked him how he felt about concerns that the Maker's 46 would cannibalize from traditional Maker's consumers. He made a valid point that - up until now - Maker's fans had nowhere else to go but outside the brand if they were wanting to experience a different taste profile. Maker's 46 allows the Maker consumer to stay 'within the family'.

Not sure I understand the difference between buy a barrel and single barrel programs?

Beam has allowed retailers/restaurateurs the ability to purchase the output of an entire barrel...a selection from three or four barrels pre-selected by the distillery. The project to be debuted in January of 11 will be a standalone program, a 'best of the best' from the KC program.

I didn't think that was legal in the Great Lakes State. I wouldn't mind being pm'ed their locations.

Ann Arbor Party Center on Jackson Road. Not exactly a pm, but I don't think it's a big secret.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.