Angel's Envy Bourbon Review

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We've been anticipating this one for a while, and as of 10/10, the official name and release date of this expression, here is the review: Angels Envy

It is quite unique and delicious, like nothing we've ever had.

I received an email from them a couple of weeks ago. They implied that their new target date for release was around the first of the year.

Triple distilled...does that mean they bought some Bourbon and then redistilled it? Do any of the majors triple distill?

I believe you're right on the Woodford, Scott. I also think you could include Bowman on the Virginia Gentleman, although initial distillation is at BT.

Anybody have an idea of where and for how much Angel's Envy will be available?

I remember seeing the price somewhere, I am pretty sure it's going to be in the $40-$60 range.

On John's blog Wes Henderson mentioned they were trying to get it approved by the PALCB so I think there's a good chance it might hit MI.

You might want to check that "triple distilled" claim as it appears nowhere in the brand's official literature. That may have been a misunderstanding on someone's part.

The official literature does say it will retail for about $44.99 and be available in Louisville, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, Austin, Washington D.C., and Boulder/Denver.

Brown-Forman is not too happy about Lincoln starting a new distillery - he is no longer "Distiller Emeritas" at Brown-Forman. Do you think they would sell him whiskey for a project they don't approve of? I think not and Brown-Forman can be eliminated as a source of the bourbon.

Mike Veach

Brown-Forman is not too happy about Lincoln starting a new distillery - he is no longer "Distiller Emeritas" at Brown-Forman. Do you think they would sell him whiskey for a project they don't approve of? I think not and Brown-Forman can be eliminated as a source of the bourbon.

Mike Veach

Since we're talking to the same people at BF I'm surprised you keep saying this because I've been told they wish him nothing but the best and still consider him part of the family.

Lincoln announced at the ADI meeting that he was removed as Distiller Emeritas of Brown-Forman. I assume he was telling the truth.

Mike Veach

Assume whatever you want. Here's what Brown-Forman says about it:

"BF is not mad at Lincoln or his distillery. They recently called us for some assistance and Lincoln was out at WR a few weeks ago. We have never created the Master Distiller Emeritus position and therefore couldn’t have taken it away."

You might want to check that "triple distilled" claim as it appears nowhere in the brand's official literature. That may have been a misunderstanding on someone's part.

The official literature does say it will retail for about $44.99 and be available in Louisville, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, Austin, Washington D.C., and Boulder/Denver.

Chuck,

Your observation is correct about the "triple distillation". This is what happens when the PR folks get a hold of something, and it does not come across my desk, or Lincoln's desk. Per my instructions going forward, any communication that includes description of our processes must be cleared by one of us in advance. While plans going forward consist of a production plan that could be labeled as "triple distilled", our current expression is most certainly a product of a column method.

While I look at this as more of a misunderstanding, I have gone to great pains to make sure what we are doing is credible, especially amongst the members of this particular community of bourbon lovers. We will always be open about what we are doing, as this is what creates the bond between distiller and consumer.

Thanks for pointing this out...

Wes Henderson

Lincoln announced at the ADI meeting that he was removed as Distiller Emeritas of Brown-Forman. I assume he was telling the truth.

Mike Veach

I think Lincoln was just having some fun with the group at ADI. The folks at BF have been great. I am sure they don't see us as a threat, and there is plenty of market share to go around.

Thanks Wes. It's great to have the son of an independant bottler (for now!) interact in such a positive way with us SBers.

While I need to taste this again with a MUCH cleaner palette (not after 20 other bourbons and scotches), my initial impression is that this is a fantastic bourbon for those that like whisk(e)y with finishes (which I do). Unlike some other attempts, I found that the other flavors were well integrated.

Tom

I too tried this after about a dozen other tastes at Whiskeyfest in NYC this week. It is good, quite good, IMHO.

I'm going to have to dig for it in D.C. I guess when it gets released.

• 1 month later...

I'm really curious to try this one, but I do have a question for you knowledgeable folks. A few bloggers/posters elsewhere have argued that Angel's Envy doesn't qualify as "Bourbon" because it was finished ("ACEd") in port pipes, and thus its entire aging history was not in new, charred oak barrels. By my reading of the Title 27 Code of Federal Regulations, bourbon does not have to be stored for its entire aging period in new, charred oak barrels, so long as it was stored in them for some period. Am I correct in this assertion, and thus Angel's Envy is indeed still bourbon?

I'm really curious to try this one, but I do have a question for you knowledgeable folks. A few bloggers/posters elsewhere have argued that Angel's Envy doesn't qualify as "Bourbon" because it was finished ("ACEd") in port pipes, and thus its entire aging history was not in new, charred oak barrels. By my reading of the Title 27 Code of Federal Regulations, bourbon does not have to be stored for its entire aging period in new, charred oak barrels, so long as it was stored in them for some period. Am I correct in this assertion, and thus Angel's Envy is indeed still bourbon?

It is. Those bloggers/posters are wrong.

More specifically, it is officially "bourbon finished in port barrels." The finish has to be disclosed on the label so, in that sense, it isn't just bourbon. That's the part some folks can't seem to wrap their heads around. Once it's bourbon, or straight bourbon, that's what it is and you can't un-bourbon it any more than you can un-ring a bell. If something is done to the bourbon after it has become bourbon, or straight bourbon, that 'something' must be disclosed, but it does not make it not bourbon.

Some people can't distinguish between what they think the rules should be in their personal interpretation and what the rules actually are. As the saying goes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Has their been any word on the official release date yet? At first it was 10/10/10, but that didn't happen and I haven't heard anything firm yet. I am anxious to give this a try, have heard nothing but good things.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!