Angel's Envy Bourbon Review

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...each of the two heavy ranters on this thread also link back to their own blogs on SB.

Hey Tom, commenting about people's weight is not cool! :skep:

a virus pushing their wares

Hey now! Careful how we throw around that term. :lol:

Is what he's doing any worse than creating your own site and recruiting people from here? Who's to say. Oops... people are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden.....

Seriously though, I will discuss this with the boss.

This thread has ran way off topic way too long so it needs to get back on it directly, thank you Tom for attempting that.

As for the self promotion, I would highly recommend chilling out at least a little on it. Contribute to the conversation without always promoting yourself.

It is widely known that this site is the number one source for bourbon info and everyone it seems wants a piece of that action; however, sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

A couple thoughts on Tom's response:

*I agree with WD.... it is great to actually see a post that is conversational rather than simply self-promoting. I too hope this becomes the new norm rather than an exception in self-defense.

*As far as I can tell, no one has said anything ill of Wes, Angel's Envy, LDC or bourbonblog.com. The "negativity" has been directed at the drive-by self-promotion of Tom's posts and the obvious link-dropping.

*Most people link to their blogs in the "home page" section of their profile. Those that link in their blogs in their signature tend to link based on either their name or the name of their blog rather than attempt to boost search engine optimization. I have no doubt that chuckcowdery.blogspot.com is the best website for info on Chuck Cowdery; but, it is debatable as to whether or not bourbonblog.com is the best site on bourbon whiskey, bourbon reviews or bourbon recipes. In my opinion as a webdesigner, I think Tom's signature is a blatant attempt to boost google rating rather than to point people to quality content.

*Speaking of content, bourbonblog.com is a great website with some excellent resources and some very well produced videos. They are things I enjoy reading and watching. However, I value bourbon discussion which is why I am on sb.com and would prefer to interact on the topic rather than just have old news reposted in order to provide a link. Just once I would love to see Tom come back to a topic he has started in order to participate in the discussion that follows.

*I admit, my links were a bit childish (that was a internet meme known as Rickrolling in case you weren't familiar). However, since I felt your purpose on SB.com is to encouraging linking back to your site I figured I would return the favor with some off-topic fun.

*I too am excited about Angel's Envy and wish them all the best.

In summary: I have no issue with Tom Fischer, Bourbonblog.com, Angel's Envy or anything else. I do resent seeing SB.com -- a community I value -- being co-opted for self-promotion. I care about relevant bourbon related information, but I also value discussion.

It actually pains me to say negative things about Tom because he's generally a nice guy and has always been nice to me, but I don't think much of his self-appointed role as the industry's echo chamber. I guess Byron Allen thinks of himself as an entrepreneur even though his chosen mode of entrepreneurship is as a full-time entertainment industry shill.

In my opinion the booze industry does a good enough job promoting itself and doesn't need a 'journalist' whose journalistic mode is to flack for everything the industry does. The personally most offensive part of his overly defensive and aggressive response above is his suggestion that what he does and what I do are the same thing. If I believed that I'd probably put a bullet through my head.

This has bothered me for a long time. I've agreed with everything Ben has said on the subject and decided to add my voice to his. I'm sorry, Tom, but you are not 'part of this community.' In 5+ years you have posted 57 commercials for yourself, period.

No offense to the Hendersons but doing this in an existing thread in a less-frequented section was a good way to do it openly but among the family.

So fess up. Who tipped Tom off? We know he didn't discover this on his own during his deep reading of the board.

Finally, if the boss says Tom's okay, I'll immediately shut up about it.

^What they said.

If the link to my blog in my signature bothers anyone, I'll take it off. I don't make any money off my blog, in fact I probably lose money on it. It's just me reviewing what I drink. About a dozen people check it on a regular basis.

And I don't consider myself a journalist, just a drinker with a writing problem as someone once said. And that's literally the case for me these days!

Tom, like others here, I wish you would interact with us more and stop dropping by merely to repost old news to direct folks to your blog. This claim that you're simply drawing our attention to newsworthy stories that are not mentioned on SB.com is disingenuous at best. You seem like a nice guy. I've met people who have met you and they say you are a nice guy and I'm inclined to believe them. Just cut it out, please? It's disrespectful.

If the link to my blog in my signature bothers anyone...

I owe someone an apology, aw man, just when you think you're through the apology dance card starts filling up again, oh, well.

Well, I'll try to get this thread back on track.

1. I doubt it just yet, but has anyone seen it in a bar/restaurant or store yet? I know they just dumped & bottled, but not knowing anything of the timeline between bottling & shipping I suppose it is possible.

2. Are you willing to pay approximately $45 for a bottle of four-year-old bourbon no matter who made it? Seems a bit steep to me given the age and competition's price points. Then again, maybe the port finishing gives it a taste that is worth it? Never having had a bourbon finished in any kind of wine barrel, I'm not sure what to expect. I realize this has been discussed some, but would relish seeing more opinions on the subject.

I'd love to try this in a bar before I shell out the dough for a full bottle.

I really like Forty Creek and Crown Cask 16, both of which are bourbon-ish whiskeys finished in wine-ish barrels, so I'd like to give this a try.

I've heard nothing but good things from those who have tasted this. I believe early April is the latest ETA (in KY anyways).

FWIW, Lincoln Henderson will be doing a tasting of Angel's Envy at the Party Source on April 1.

Yes, it deserves to be mentioned that the notion that Tom's posts provide information the readers of this board would not know otherwise is laughable.

I also see no one rising to defend and support Tom except Tom.

"You owe Wes and Angel's Envy an apology because the release of this Bourbon is a big deal for the Louisville Distilling Company, and I'm proud of them."

Okay Tom. You call yourself a "journalist," but what school of journalism teaches you to say that you're "proud" of your subject. Where is the objectivity in that?? Also, as others have said, none of the criticism on this thread has been directed at Angel's Envy, but rather at the way you conduct yourself on this board.

How is your "reporting" different from any self-serving press release from BT/HH/JB/WT/B-F...

I would love to hear your response to these points.

To say that Tom does not participate on here is simply not true. Tom has stopped by chat on occasions and chatted with me. I also believe we have rules about bullying so posting your opinions is one thing but being civil is another.

I think it would be better for everyone at this point if this thread just died.

There is great discussion (complete with some excellent producer dialog) about the actual Angel's Envy Whiskey over at the other thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13910

[Thanks Sku for originally posting it and Josh for bringing it back to our attention.]

My apologies for the last post. I took it too far and should keep such things to myself.

My apologies for the last post. I took it too far and should keep such things to myself.

I cleaned it up a little. And I think we will just go ahead and close this thread for now. The other thread is far more informational and productive.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!