Angel's Envy Bourbon Review

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Great discussion, and of course, Chuck is right.

Angel's Envy will be launching in Kentucky the last week of January, 2011. Glass production schedules set us behind a bit...

Merry Christmas to all!

Wes

Marking my calendar for a late January visit to Kentucky. I love finished scotches (e.g. sherry, port, sauterne, etc) and after tasting this at the NYC WhiskyFest definitely want some more. IMHO, this is the first really successful integration of wine casks into bourbon.

Tom

Marking my calendar for a late January visit to Kentucky. I love finished scotches (e.g. sherry, port, sauterne, etc) and after tasting this at the NYC WhiskyFest definitely want some more. IMHO, this is the first really successful integration of wine casks into bourbon.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Give it until the 1st week of February to get into all the outlets. Will be pretty wide distribution in Louisville, Northern KY and Western KY. Check with me before you come for details (whenderson@louisvilledistilling.com).

Cheers!

Wes

Tom

I'M GOING WITH YOU !!!!:grin:

That's the part some folks can't seem to wrap their heads around. Once it's bourbon, or straight bourbon, that's what it is and you can't un-bourbon it any more than you can un-ring a bell. If something is done to the bourbon after it has become bourbon, or straight bourbon, that 'something' must be disclosed, but it does not make it not bourbon.

So bourbon can be re-distilled (so long as it isn't distilled out to more than 160 proof) bottled and sold as "something" bourbon or bourbon "something" ?

What if we filtered bourbon in such a way that it takes away much of the color and flavor, something on the order of "frost 80"? If the process is meant to undo what the required ageing in new chared oak barrels did and to mitigate against the high cogoner content the low distilation proof gave the new make spirit, is it still bourbon?

OK, I'm being provocative and a smart ass, but while you say "you can't un-ring a bell", a lot of us say "you can't get oak from ash. Bourbon can be un-bourbonised.

When the regs were written stating that the distillate had to be stored in new charred oak barrels for X amount of time was anyone really thinking about "finishing"? Had anyone used the practice of "finishing" American straights when the regs were written? If no one had used this practice it would seem an oversight that it isn't specifically forbidden in the regs more than purposely leaving the option open for such things as port wood finished bourbon.

Great discussion, and of course, Chuck is right.

Angel's Envy will be launching in Kentucky the last week of January, 2011. Glass production schedules set us behind a bit...

Merry Christmas to all!

Wes

Glass...It's always the dang glass! I need to start a glass company. "Bourbon to the front of the line!", will be my credo. :)

When the regs were written stating that the distillate had to be stored in new charred oak barrels for X amount of time was anyone really thinking about "finishing"? Had anyone used the practice of "finishing" American straights when the regs were written? If no one had used this practice it would seem an oversight that it isn't specifically forbidden in the regs more than purposely leaving the option open for such things as port wood finished bourbon.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that the legal definition was designed to take into account "finishing" or other techniques. Rather, they were addressing a question about the legal definition of "Bourbon whisky" and whether finishing a bourbon in a used barrel disqualifies it from being called "Bourbon whisky" thereafter. If Chuck's statement that "you can't un-bourbon [a bourbon] any more than you can un-ring a bell" is correct—and I'm guessing that it is—distillers and rectifiers can do a number of things to bourbon and still call it such, irrespective of whether the laws were written to take "modern" techniques (if that's what they are) into account.

The example I always give is if Beam sells a pre-mix of Beam and Cola, the product is KSBW with cola. The addition of cola doesn't make the bourbon not bourbon, but you also could not just label the product "bourbon." You have to label it "bourbon and cola." That's what the rule is intended to prevent, the passing off of something artifically colored or flavored as bourbon. If you say, "we took this bourbon and did x to it" you have met the standard.

So if you took bourbon mash white dog and aged it a used port barrel it wouldn't be bourbon because it wasn't aged in a new oak barrel, but if you age it in a new oak barrel until it becomes straight bourbon you don't un-bourbon it by letting it spend additional time in a used barrel. Adding the finish of a port cask is no different than adding cola or cherry juice. You have to say, "this is bourbon with ..." so in that sense it's not bourbon, it's 'bourbon with..."

Now if you want to mix bourbon with vodka, I suppose you could label it as KSBW with vodka, but the law also permits you to label it as blended whiskey.

Chuck, I thought premixes of Bourbon and cola were not lawful in the US.

They're legal, they're just not popular because they can only (except in Ohio) be sold in liquor stores and they're prohibitively expensive because taxes on spirits are higher than taxes on malt beverages. They're very popular in Australia.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like another trip to Chicago will be in order. Can you give me a heads up when its there, Joe?:grin:

Question, did Lincoln Henderson actually distill the product in the bottle of Angel's Envy? I had read in a number of spots that this was "sourced" whiskey. Is that correct or no? Thanks!

Question, did Lincoln Henderson actually distill the product in the bottle of Angel's Envy? I had read in a number of spots that this was "sourced" whiskey. Is that correct or no? Thanks!

Yes it is sourced and then Henderson finished the whiskey in port pipes.

This is a product I can get excited about.

I have sent my in-laws in Louisville on a quest to obtain a bottle of this for me, but so far they have come up empty. Anybody in that area care to share where this could be found in stock?

I have sent my in-laws in Louisville on a quest to obtain a bottle of this for me, but so far they have come up empty. Anybody in that area care to share where this could be found in stock?

This is not specific but this is from Wes Henderson in response to when Nashville area would receive it:

"Jason,

I don't see us in TN until the end of the year. We will be available in Western KY, however, by the end of February."

Have 'em looking around for it around that time I suppose.

• 5 weeks later...

Someone really wants to try this before release. Just saw a 100ml sample bottle sell for $61 on that auction site.

Someone really wants to try this before release. Just saw a 100ml sample bottle sell for $61 on that auction site.

The sample bottles are quite attractive. I'll sell mine for a lot less than $61, but it's empty.

Sampled this yesterday and enjoyed it. It's a light, sweet, balanced and the finish flavors are well integrated. A very easy drinker with enough complexity to enjoy sipping neat. With that finish it reminds of a gentle Manhattan.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!