Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Greg picked up the first Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve today for tasting. Bottom line is that it is an excellent effort from Beam and highly recommended. Big , rich, sweet..... one of the best Beams.

post-1354-14489817109657_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817110049_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817109657_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817110049_thumb.jpg

Ohh sure, make us all go out and buy some!

I don't mind standard KC as an occasional bar pour and never buy any Beam for home use. Now I'm looking forward to trying some KCSBR on my own.

I really like it. I always enjoy the regular Knob Creek, and this just kicks it up a notch. (Well, at least the barrel my sample came from did. But we all know that each barrel is different, so...)

Agreed. Regular KC was not a regular addition to the bar but I've had barrel strength KC and this bottling is amped up over the normal offering. More intense flavors, a little more oak influence. Nice mingling of sweet and spice mid palate. Beam did good with this one.

hoping CT gets this in soon. Plan on grabbing 2 bottles, I think KC is always a tasty pour so I'm pumped for this.

If you can't get it in your local store, you'll be pleased to know that it's already on ebay for $100. :rolleyes:

Tried some today, Very similar to the standard KC profile but richer and more depth of flavors across the board. I get more toffee / nougat and dark fruit (dates?) Oak is more pronounced in the finish but not excessively so. Greatly improved mouth feel.

Not sure this is worth the approx. $12 premium over the regular KC... particularly since the standard expression is already 100 proof.

Unfortunately there is no labeling of barrel of origin, so YMMV. I'd love to see this available in a barrel-selection program. (Not likely to happen anytime soon, I suspect.:mad:)

I just got back from the store with one. I like the embossed wax on the neck, that was a nice touch. When I tried to open it I had to remove excess wax with a butter knife and the cork still would not move.

Just before I went to get a pair of channel locks I tried one more time with a rag and was finally able to get the cork out. It looks like the cork was milled a little large. Hardest time I ever had opening a bottle.

Anyways this is tasty. It definitely benefits from the extra proof. This will be a regular on the bar and my first Beam Product not named OGD 114 to make it there. So that's 2 products I'll now buy that Beam makes.

Hopefully there are more options in the pipeline. OGD 114 is definitely a better value for my money but this is more flavorful than regular KC so I'm happy.

I agree with you on the wax and cork. Took me about ten minutes with a knife and pliers to get through the "wax". Then I needed an adjustible wrench to get the damn cork out.

I probably won't get one of these. The last one of these bastards was the Elmer T. Lee gold wax which required a chain saw to open. I have too many other great bourbons than to worry about this shit.

Joe :usflag:

I agree with you on the wax and cork. Took me about ten minutes with a knife and pliers to get through the "wax". Then I needed an adjustible wrench to get the damn cork out.

Do none of you have teeth? :cool:

Say, does anyone remember which movie it is where Clint Eastwood uses his teeth to pull the cork out of the whiskey bottle?

PM me if you do.

Just asking. No particular reason.

The tear strip worked OK... albeit scattering little black pieces across the kitchen. But it came off too high up; not leaving enough space to get a grip on the top of the cork. Hence the knife and needle-nosed pliers to tear it back.

And the cork was much tighter than on any other whiskey bottle I've ever opened.

The tear strip worked OK... albeit scattering little black pieces across the kitchen. But it came off too high up; not leaving enough space to get a grip on the top of the cork. Hence the knife and needle-nosed pliers to tear it back.

And the cork was much tighter than on any other whiskey bottle I've ever opened.

I have that problem with Booker's and Baker's, JB you listening?

I picked up a bottle of this today, and am in the midst of a solid pour, right now. I drink a lot of regular KC, but that is typically in airport, hotel, and restaurant bars, but not at home. So, I don't have a representative sample handy to compare to this KCSBR. But, from memory, I would agree with the favorable reviews of a more robust and flavorful taste profile. Interesting thing about recent Beams, this one included, I keep getting overtones of OGD in their regular offerings. And those, have a resemblance to HH BIB's. Call me crazy, but it's what I'm getting. Anywho, I like this.

Regarding the cork.....Like Robert reported, the embossed wax is a neat touch. However....as I was all prepared to have to Conan the cork out of the bottle, I gave a hefty yank, and just missed implanting the cork into my forehead, because it gave no resistance. Hopfully, no one was filming this Lucy skit...:o

A solid effort from Beam.

I find that a lot of Beam products remind me of OGD. I think it's just because of all the Beam products, I've probably consumed more OGD than any others at somewhere around a 1000:1 ratio. Maybe next year they will have an OGD114 gift pack with an IV.

Did have some great taste but alot of heat at the end. I feel like it had more kick than bookers as far as taste and feel goes but with the flavor I feel like it should have been a little smoother on the back end. But I don't dislike it I'd def recommend to anyone who likes single barrels, just voicing my opinion.

No problems with the wax seal or removing the cork. Must be these massive hands that I've developed from sitting in front of a computer all day. :lol:

My bottle was laser etched on the front below the label with:

L1014CLH

Some others on the shelf had the same etching on the back of the bottle. Perhaps we can use these codes to track decent barrels.

On first blush I like it, but I had a spicy dinner and my palate is a bit bent from the overload.

I am looking forward to enjoying a pour of this new Beam bottling.

No problems with the wax seal or removing the cork. Must be these massive hands that I've developed from sitting in front of a computer all day. :lol:

My bottle was laser etched on the front below the label with:

L1014CLH

Some others on the shelf had the same etching on the back of the bottle. Perhaps we can use these codes to track decent barrels.

On first blush I like it, but I had a spicy dinner and my palate is a bit bent from the overload.

Scott,

I bow to your massive strength and mechanical prowess. :bowdown: (Or maybe I just got an ornery bottle.)

I hope you're right about the codes on the back of the bottle (I missed those). I'm sure some extra-special "honey" barrels will be released and it would be great to grab those rather than simply rolling the dice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.