Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We're picking our barrels on Wednesday. I hear the turn around is quick. We should have them in stock by march.

I picked up a bottle the other day and was impressed. I can't really speak for the original Knob Creek because I've only had pours in bars and have never had a bottle myself.

This is only about $35 in KY and I will continue to stock it, if for no other reason than to support what Beam has done with this offering (luckily I really like it as well). How many distilleries are keeping age statements, upping the proof, not chillfiltering? (I don't know if everyone knows this is unchillfiltered. Saw Fred Noe mention it in a video about the product.) Whether you like it or not, I say this expression was created for us, not the average bourbon drinker, and that's something I can get behind. Especially for only $35.

We're picking our barrels on Wednesday. I hear the turn around is quick. We should have them in stock by march.

I'm glad now that I've waited :cool:. Great news, Joe.

Nicely done video. I couldn't tell for sure, but my impression was that the warehouse is one that's not at either distillery, but is off Withrow Court on the outskirts of Bardstown, the site of a former distillery which Beam now owns for the warehouses.

Nicely done video. I couldn't tell for sure, but my impression was that the warehouse is one that's not at either distillery, but is off Withrow Court on the outskirts of Bardstown, the site of a former distillery which Beam now owns for the warehouses.

You're probably right. I just refreshed my memory with some pictures and the one it reminded me of isn't even Beam's, it's the one at the pre-Prohibition Beam distillery now owned by Heaven Hill near Nazareth. It's old and ratty too, like the one in the video.

I like the fact that they didn't pretty anything up for the video.

You're probably right. I just refreshed my memory with some pictures and the one it reminded me of isn't even Beam's, it's the one at the pre-Prohibition Beam distillery now owned by Heaven Hill near Nazareth. It's old and ratty too, like the one in the video.

I like the fact that they didn't pretty anything up for the video.

I believe the one you were thinking of is on Nazareth road and was the Old Hart and Tub Distillery pre-pro. It is referred to as Glencoe now I think. It is on the railroad spur there and has that little dollhouse rickhouse that is believed to be the oldest in continuous operation in Nelson County. Beam owned it for awhile after prohibition and sold it to Heaven Hill. When you go inside that particular rackhouse, there are still memos posted on the supporting timbers from Beam from the 70's. Some of the tanks are still there in the distillery building.

That's the one. It's one of several sites that once bore the Glencoe name. You can drive by it but you can get closer by taking the dinner train. Officially Heaven Hill calls it "Warehouseman Plant 4." I've never heard it called Old Hart and Tub but it was known as Beam & Hart and also Old Tub, which was the brand. Hart was married to Jim and Park's sister.

So someone finally put it on sale here in the Orlando area, and picked up a bottle for $37 (what can I say, I like a bargain). I will post my feelings tomorrow, since I've been on a beer bender all afternoon, and have to work tonight.

That is a well done video, and it worked on me - now I'm wanting a taste of the KCSB now. Hey, it's not like it's hard to talk me into drinking more bourbon!

I have really enjoyed getting to know this new Single Barrel KC. For me it's clearly worth the increase in price. Obviously it's a Single Barrel, and there will surely be some variances. As anyone would imagine, the family resemblance is undeniable with Maple and Oak sharing the spotlight. However, I found the increased proof lifted the sweetness and spice, slightly taming the dry oak and bitter char that the Small Batch can overdo sometimes (for me). As a whole, this increased sweetness, oak, and spice are all sandwiched together in a much richer, fuller package than it's brother. It's more balanced and far more complex.

Bottom line, it's a good level superior to me. Being a single barrel I imagine they picked the cherry barrels, so I'm sure that helps a lot also.

We picked our barrels on Tuesday. All the samples were quite good. The consistency was pretty amazing. I think this will play well.

We picked our barrels on Tuesday. All the samples were quite good. The consistency was pretty amazing. I think this will play well.

Did they pull the barrels from the same general spots? I have tasted a lot of single barrels side by side and sometimes their is consistency and sometimes not. But usually when there are a lot of variances, upon closer inspection I've noticed it's because they've been pulled from a number of different spots.

4 weeks ago I was participating in a barrel selection at Four Roses. Each barrel was night and day - totally different (and all were the same OBSV recipe). And each was pulled from a different aging location.

I'm not a big fan of Knob Creek, which is what prevented me from buying this sooner, but this is way better tasting. The high proof will prevent this from being a regular pour for me since I try to drink everything neat, but will be great as an occasional treat. Very sweet with a strong taste of oak, and a very leathery aftertaste.

My only big complaint is that they need to line the wax up better. I pulled the string, and the stupid cap was still sealed under the wax. Come on Beam, it's hard to steer my bike while trying to gnaw off the wax.

My only big complaint is that they need to line the wax up better. I pulled the string, and the stupid cap was still sealed under the wax. Come on Beam, it's hard to steer my bike while trying to gnaw off the wax.

Same thing happened to me.

Did they pull the barrels from the same general spots?

We got samples from 3 warehouses. G, H, and P. All the abv's were around 130. It does seem that they were pulled from 2nd and 3rd level floors.

Is a screw top so declasse that we must have this wax entombed cork to convince consumers that the contents are really special?

A dear 64 year old acquaintance of mine was struggling to get her medicine open when the four year old grandson said 'here Mamaw, let me help' and the kid whipped off the child proof top. My point being the conceived reason for creating that closure in the first place had unintended consequences that resulted oppositely.

Producers reading our posts, welcome by the way, might give more thought as to how to get it open rather than how it looks.

Producers reading our posts...might give more thought as to how to get it open rather than how it looks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.