Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Booker's is about the only Beam product I have bought and enjoyed. Knob Creek is just plain nasty and overpriced!

Got my KC1B today and I had no problem opening it up.

First you have to pull the thread in the correct direction and after that scrape off some of the wax from below the thread line and wha-la it opens easliy.

But then again, back in the day as the kids now say, I could unhook a girls bra one handed with my left hand, I do know how to get to where I wanna go.:grin:

About the OGD recipe versus the JB recipe, the only differences between the two are the yeast and mash bill. Everything else, so far as I know, is the same: same water, same stills, same barrels, same warehouses, and the same people running the equipment.

As far as the mash bill is concerned, the percentage of grains differs but it's all the same grain, from the same silos, the same milling, etc. OGD simply contains more rye and less corn. Same amount of malt, I believe.

My information comes directly from Booker Noe but we had that conversation about 15 years ago and it's possible something has changed, but that's how it was. I remember going back even further, to Beam's acquisition of the brand in 1987, and being told then by Beam executives that Old Grand-Dad was the only National Distillers whiskey that they were going to make according to National's recipe. Everything else was going to get the standard JB juice.

I was a fan of Knob Creek when it first came out but have not been buying it since it's popularity and price increased. This may be worth a shot.

About the OGD recipe versus the JB recipe, the only differences between the two are the yeast and mash bill.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

That's a lot, from what I understand 25% of the taste comes from the yeast and 25% from the mashbill.

I'm late to this post, but I thought it was a very solid effort from Beam, and I'm going to pick up a bottle to add to the bar as soon as it hits the liquor stores in nearby Montgomery County (see killer deals thread). Having a bottle of the standard 100 proof KC open and having had a pour recently, I thought this version showed a lot more depth and was very drinkable at 120 proof. I got little heat in the way of the taste of the bourbon and that has definitely not always been my experience with the 100 proof version.

While out and about today, I picked up a bottle. Had a couple of very small pours after supper. Jury is still out. Better than regular KC, but.... it may be my palate, so I will withhold judgement for the time being. Joe

the only differences between the two are the yeast and mash bill.

Well, gee, that's quite a difference isn't it? :skep: :skep:

Sure, no argument, but it's the same stills, same people, same water, same barrels, same warehouses. A lot of "same" too.

Sure, no argument, but it's the same stills, same people, same water, same barrels, same warehouses. A lot of "same" too.

50% difference, 50% similarity. It's like a brother from another (father?)

Had a pour tonight at my favorite local liquor store and while very good, it was not as good as I remember from the pour that I had in December. Tonight I got a lot more wood and corn husk that I remember from the previous tasting.

Tom

My mail-order bottles arrived today. I haven't seen this at retail in Oregon yet. No issues opening the bottle, but I've had some practice opening KC bottles before (I always open the was over the trash can to catch any of the black wax that flies off).

Anyway, after my first pour, my first impression is that I can taste a lot of sweetness and vanilla, with a slight yeasty taste. I like it! Didn't notice the increased alcohol, but I take little sips.

KB is pretty expensive in Oregon (regularly $38, on sale now for $33), so I'm curious to see how much this will retail for.

KB is pretty expensive in Oregon (regularly $38, on sale now for $33), so I'm curious to see how much this will retail for.

That's what I am wondering too. I can still find Bookers for under $40 a bottle from time to time, so unless it's considerably less here I won't be buying it.

My mail-order bottles arrived today. I haven't seen this at retail in Oregon yet.

I have. Big Y Liquors in Eugene.

I'm curious to see how much this will retail for.

$47.95.

I have. Big Y Liquors in Eugene.

$47.95.

$39.99 in a suburban Chicago store today (add at least 11% tax). My purchase is being delayed by a newly opened regular bottle and other planned purchases of PHC and FRSB first.

In my area, 2 stores received multiple case shipments. One store sold out in 2 days and the other only had a few bottles left!

Thomas

I'm excited to taste this. We have barrels samples on the way. Perhaps we'll get a group taste at the get together.:grin:

I'm excited to taste this. We have barrels samples on the way. Perhaps we'll get a group taste at the get together.:grin:

Does this mean you're going to do a Binny's-selected version?

So is this totally different product than regular KC, or is it pretty much an amped up version of KC (I'm not saying one is necessarily better than the other. Just wondering)?

Can you taste more of the small grains/barrel, etc?

It's like a 'best of the best,' so the difference is subtle, more on the order of balance. Definitely not different in any significant way.

I am just a little past the half way mark on my bottle and I think it is superior to the standard KC.

I have to agree with Chuck, the balance is there and like he said they did pick the best of the barrels that have the KC profile.

So I am wondering if they will maintain this high standard.

Will future KC1B be as good?

I'm also about half way through a bottle of this. I'm not sure it's better than the standard expression. Other than the higher proof, it's still Knob Creek... not that that's a bad thing. I like it, but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra money over the standard issue.

Having said that, I'll probably buy it again, because I tend to like high proof offerings.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.