What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Poured an Oscar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale. Another tasty can o' subs from OB Brewery.

Sam Adam's Double Bock.... actually a very nice brew. Big, dark, rich with sweet toasty notes. Worth seeking out if you like big, sweet chewy brews.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while sitting down to get a little work done, this evening. This has turned into be one of my favorite Double IPA's.

Been enjoying Raging Bitch from Flying Dog.... great summer Belgium /IPA... refreshing but a bit more interesting than most lighter brews... also a nice cigar beer..

Left Hand Milk Stout as I finish up some work for the week...I'm glad the weekend is here!

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. I still have a problem putting "fresh hops" on the label when the hops have been dried, even if it was only a week before they were used. I don't have a problem with the beer itself.

Had a great beer tonight. Tramp Stamp from clown shoes. Wonderfully hoppy. Will repeat tomorrow for brunch.

Tried Negra Modelo for the first time at On The Border yesterday. Not bad at all.

Founders Old Crumudgen... big, rich and a fairly heavy brew. Holding the rest for cooler weather...

For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Well worth seeking out if you can find it...

For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Man... I'll have one of what Reid is having! But until I track some down, I'll be sipping on some cold DAB in 500ml cans, one of my favorite summer heat and thirst quenching beers.

Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...

http://www.beergeeknation.com/?p=3182

Tonight I reached for a Founders KBS.... this boy is a chocolate bomb that just keeps giving. I gather the bourbon barrel adds a fair amount of sweetness to the brew. Nice treat now and then but given the choice I would grab a Stingo.......

Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...

After your write up and his video I couldn't resist getting my tired ass back in the car tonight and bringing home 3 bottles. Thanks for the heads up on this one Reid.

After reading this review I stopped by the store while I was out for lunch yesterday. They did not have the Stingo, but I did pick up a Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Has anyone had this? I'm looking forward to trying this one tonight.

The Taddy is a good example (IMO) of a 1700's-1800's style porter in its dryness. A good, traditional, winy porter.

Good catch on that Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

.......Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

Perfect description Gary.... now why are beers like this so hard to find? Stingo is near imposible to get and when I do it is one or two??? Any suggestions on something that may be similiar to the Stingo??

After your write up and his video I couldn't resist getting my tired ass back in the car tonight and bringing home 3 bottles. Thanks for the heads up on this one Reid.

Thad, that is more Stingo than I have seen all year!! Looking forward to your thoughts... of course if you hate it I would feel obligated to take it off your hands:grin:

The Taddy is a good example (IMO) of a 1700's-1800's style porter in its dryness. A good, traditional, winy porter.

Good catch on that Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

Thanks for the description, Gary. I'm drinking it right now and the dryness did surprise me a little bit (in a good way). It almost makes the beer taste lighter to me than it should. Definitely one that I'll buy again.

Had 2 great beers..well 3. Zombie Dust from 3 floyd's, Wipeout from Port, ans a Matilda. Lovely night.:cool:

I've been digging Great Lakes' Lake Erie Monster. It's an Imperial IPA that tastes very tamed, in a pleasing way, at least to me. My favorite Great Lakes brews have a clean water taste in their carbonation that works to balance the big flavors underneath. I could see how someone might miss the more boom-y, bitter and/or fruity hops, but I find it tasty and refreshing. It comes in at 9.1%, so no skimping on the alkyhol either.

I find most easy-going beers in the 9% range rely on sweet malt to keep other flavors under control. That's not the case with this one, and I like it.

Stumbled upon a Founder's KBS, Oscar Blues Gubna I-IPA and Gordon Imperial Red. Weekend starts now!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.