What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some Sessions lager with some pizza for dinner, pretty good all around beer, and on sale for $8.99/12 was a good deal. Generally not a lager fan, but this one seems to hit the spot for me.

I'll have to see if I can still score the CIA if it's not too late. I've never had it but I'm a fan of nearly all the beers I've tasted from Great Lakes, so it's worth the hunt.

Well good luck on the hunt. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen it around, even at stores that stock Great Lakes. I picked it up on recommendation from my Binny's beer guy, but Great Lakes are not beers I normally drink. I think I tried one or two types a few years ago and found them a bit too harsh for my tastes.

But this CIA makes me want to give their other beers another try.

I thoroughly enjoyed a few bottles of Bridgeport IPA last night. I wish more American microbreweries would put out bottle-conditioned beer. Great stuff and not overly hopped, which is a nice change of pace these days!

After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!

After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!

Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.

You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.

2 great beers last night. Dogfish - Hellhound on my ale, and 3 Floyds Arctic Panzer.

Tried a new one on a whim....Roscoe’s Hop House – Craft Ale – Amber Ale –....very nice, smooth, slightly sweet malt, just a hint of hops. Evidently, the brewer also makes the Dundee line up, which I had before and enjoyed.....Genesee Brewing Company. Sold in Meijer stores.

http://beerdoctor.wordpress.com/category/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/

http://yearinbeer.tumblr.com/post/723572065/roscoes-amber-ale

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/109609/

http://grub.gunaxin.com/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/27507

You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.

I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?

I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?

I have had the Goose Island IPA before, but it's been years. It was when I was living in Texas and a place got one keg of it, and then they never ordered it again (I do remember it being very good). I haven't seen it in Atlanta before, but I haven't been looking for it either. I'm glad you reminded me of this one...I'll see if I can find it!

Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!

Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!

A-B has had a big peice of Goose Island for years.

Goose Island beer is in A-B kegs.

A-B has had a big peice of Goose Island for years.

Goose Island beer is in A-B kegs.

Founders Centennial, then Left Hand Milk Stout, then a couple of Miller Lites before conducting a blind bourbon tasting with a friend.

While A-B InBev is just now buying Goose Island, they have been distributing their beer for a while. I've seen it all over the place. Most places just have the Honkers and, the last couple of years, the 312. I don't know how much of the rest will be showing up around the country.

I really like the Honkers. Puzzling why they would limit their distribution to those two (Honkers and 312) when their IPA and Summertime (a German-style Kolsch) are big sellers too. Frankly, the 312 has never done much for me but my brother drinks it by the keg when the weather is warm. I greatly prefer their Summertime ale as a quenching session beer when the heat arrives.

Founders Centennial, then Left Hand Milk Stout, then a couple of Miller Lites before conducting a blind bourbon tasting with a friend.

Did you know that there's lactose in LH Milk Stout? Alright, so milk is part of the name... still I was flustered to learn this, as I can't digest lactose. I've enjoyed it on a few occasions and never equated my upset stomach to this fact. If you can't trust beer... by god what can you trust?

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Berry Weiss and Summer Shandy. Had the Sunset wheat at a Rush concert a few weeks back and liked it. Had the Berry Weiss and liked it even more. Had the Shandy and liked it too, but not as much!

Thomas

Dundee IPA tonight while I was cooking some BBQ chicken. It tasted pretty good to me...light, but good.

I've been drinking Guinness, lately.

Damn! being dispensed from a tap with nitrogen verses those bottles with the widget thingy makes a huge difference.

That backwards cascade is almost mesmerizing while I'm waiting to take a sip.

Oskar Blues pale Ale for me this evening... clean, crisp, well balanced... a very civil pale ale with good flavor and finish..

Drinking a Stone Double Bastard tonight. Very, very good stuff. Thanks to Emerald (and Reid or others?) for bringing this to Doug's house!

Various brands of strong stout, e.g., Lava from Iceland, Garrison's Grand Baltique Porter (from Nova Scotia), Guinness FES.

I think strong stout is my favourite form of beer followed by English pale ale. I'm not generally a fan of American pale ale, the C hops are just too big for me, but I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and some others.

Gary

I had a couple Brooklyn Lagers last night at PJ Clarke's in NYC. Very delicious with a burger and fries.

Sapient Trip Ale from Dark Horse Brewing.

A delightful Belgian style triple ale.

$10.49/6pack. 8.5% alcohol I'll bet this will keep well. Going to put some away in the cellar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.