What type of glass do you drink your bourbon in?

autiger23
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've always preferred my Riedel Bourbon glasses, but these are either being discontinued or have been discontinued and replaced by the Riedel "O" Spirits glass which I like as well. I think that the slightly more open top of the Riedel works better for higher proofers than the more narrow top of the Glencairn, but that's just been my experience.

Love my glass (not crystal) glencairns. Hate my snifters. Occasionally have a pour in my 4 roses glasses.

I like my glass glencairns too Ben. Joe

I've got a few rocks glasses that I use, I typically grab this one:

-11431304564823960.jpg

But have a couple of smaller ones, with a more rounded shape, better for swirling.

Picked up a set of crystal Glencairns recently and have enjoyed them. The bowl is perfect for swirling and holds just the right amount. Drinking took a bit of adjustment due to the narrow opening, but I've learned to tip it back so the bourbon hits about 1/3rd of the way back on my tongue, which seems to be the sweet spot.

Brian

• 5 weeks later...

I was recently able to learn more about 1789b from CorvallisCracker and he definitely pitched the positives of the site from his perspective. I really appreciate the information that he passed along bit I remain unswayed.

While I have a better understanding of the motivation behind creating a site where members are only allowed when sponsored and must meet the approval of the membership at large, I do not agree with it at all. Creating a site simply to exclude those with whom you disagree is petty, IMO.

I guess I prefer my bourbon straight and without a confidentiality agreement back.

Ben, I find Four Roses has some of the better "hand out" glasses. I really like the small rocks glass they have with the squared off corners from the Sampler a few years back... nice feel and a great size.

I have a few of those, but I prefer the Four Roses glasses that are circular and have the roses in relief on the bottom.

I decided when I started visiting distilleries that the souvenir I would purchase would be rocks glasses, so I have a lot of those.

My favorite is the Riedel I got for free on the Belle of Louisville during the riverboat race a couple of years ago.

...the Riedel "O" Spirits glass which I like as well. I think that the slightly more open top of the Riedel works better for higher proofers than the more narrow top of the Glencairn, but that's just been my experience.

I have a few of those, but I prefer the Four Roses glasses that are circular and have the roses in relief on the bottom.

I decided when I started visiting distilleries that the souvenir I would purchase would be rocks glasses, so I have a lot of those.

My favorite is the Riedel I got for free on the Belle of Louisville during the riverboat race a couple of years ago.

The round 4R's glasses are also very nice... especially given you can stack a few to save space. They do tend to be a bit thick for me, but are pretty sturdy.

The round 4R's glasses are also very nice... especially given you can stack a few to save space. They do tend to be a bit thick for me, but are pretty sturdy.

The only problem I have with the round 4 Roses glasses is that they are the exact size of the garbage disposal on my sink. More than once I have had to take apart the disposal in order to retrieve the glass.

Tried a Glencairn glass for the first time, and kept whacking myself in the nose. It really concentrated the smells, but drinking out of it became a Pain. Is there a trick that I missed, or is it just user error.

Tried a Glencairn glass for the first time, and kept whacking myself in the nose. It really concentrated the smells, but drinking out of it became a Pain. Is there a trick that I missed, or is it just user error.

Try lying less.

That's a joke.

As some one with a larger than average honker I can sympathize. It just takes lots and lots of practice.:grin:

It requires less tilting of the glass and more tilting of the neck. :)

Innocently (he thinks), he tiptoes in.... I recently bought a couple of these and like them a lot. I like / need a heftier glass and these fill the bill. Great for straight tasting yet room for a cube or two...

Innocently (he thinks), he tiptoes in.... I recently bought a couple of these and like them a lot. I like / need a heftier glass and these fill the bill. Great for straight tasting yet room for a cube or two...

Those are nice glasses, John. And the price ain't too bad neither. I may have to pick up a couple!

Josh,

Thanks for the support, now I know it was not just me. I was told once that if you want to be the best you need to practice, so I will take tour advice and not quit.

Ironhead,

I did actually think at one point to plop a cool bendy straw into the glass. I will try the neck move instead of the straw. Just hope I dont fall over backwards off my barstool.

those do look nice, but I think I would like the scotch glasses a bit more.

I use the glasses that came with the ORVW23 Decanter set. It's great and has the ORVW logo on it. I like that style of glass a lot more.

At one point, I brought my two glasses to let some friends taste some of my special bourbon then found that during the transportation, one of them cracked. I was quite sad. So I email Julian and he was able to replace it for me!!

Cheers

--Hugh

post-2364-14489817314287_thumb.jpg

I prefer the Glencairns but I also use several different rocks glasses and a nice 4R Distillery glass similar to the Reidel O.

I like one that has a solid sides and bottom with an opening on top.

Those do just fine, too.:grin:

$0.99 Reading China & Glass plain shot glasses. The bourbon needs to be fancy, not the glassware.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.