What type of glass do you drink your bourbon in?

autiger23
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$0.99 Reading China & Glass plain shot glasses. The bourbon needs to be fancy, not the glassware.

I used to feel that way as well until I had the opportunity to sample two pours from the same bottle in different glasses. I was very surprised by the difference. Not saying that it will work for you, but you might give it a shot.

I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference. I've had whiskey out of a Glencairn, but well, it tasted just like whiskey. But I suppose if I were to drink the same whiskey out of 2 different glasses back-to-back I would notice the difference. I've got a few small glasses here of different sizes. Maybe I'll do an experiment...........

• 4 weeks later...

:lol:

I have a Reidel bourbon glass (well, I had 4, and we broke 2 in the same night the other night!) that I enjoy, but I also really enjoy a couple of jam jars that work really well. They are big/solid enough to use as a rocks glass if I want, but can also be used effectively to drink neat, as the mouth is more narrow than the rest and ends up concentrating the smell a bit.

Just check the jam jars or the salsa jars the next time you're in the supermarket and look for one you might like, and give it a shot. The price is right, too.

Just you and Hank Williams

Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou! :lol:

Usually a Glencairn but I occasionally like it in a big old brandy snifter

Revisiting this, if I'm having a pour straight or with a couple of ice cubes, it's one of my Glencairns. If I'm having bourbon with coke etc.., I use a heavy, dimpled rocks glass. Joe

I use cordials glass similar to glencairne but smaller with stem, and cover with watch glass.

I've found that as I get further into bourbon drinking, any glass will do in a pinch.:slappin:

I have a handful of Glencairns but I am moving away from those and more into small snifters. IMO, the wider surface area and tapered opening allow me to delve deeper into the nose of what I'm enjoying. Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

I have found that to be true also.

But one would think it would be the other way around because of the shape of the Glencairn, it appears as if it would shoot the aroma up faster to you.

But then again maybe it does and you lose the aroma before you can nose it.

The larger bowl in the snifter gives you more intense aromas because there's more area for the volatile components to evaporate. The tapered opening then concentrates them before escaping the glass

I've been using some great little tequila snifters in my side by side tastings lately. I have to say that these beat the Glencairn's hands down when it comes to getting a great nose off the glass.

I have a rather eclectic collection of glasses for sipping whiskey. I use Glencairn, some inexpensive port glasses from Crate and Barrel (very copita like), Riedel Port glasses, and Riedel O chardonnay glasses. The later are similer to Villeroy and Boch's latest whiskey glasses. My favorite will always be the Glencairn Copita. I just like it the best for having a stem, directing enough aroma, but not too much, to the nose, and it's simple and effective.

I must also admit that I have enjoyed sipping fruitier bourbons from champagne flutes. Yep I know - a ridiculous thought, and counter to "the people's spirit" persona of bourbon, but don't knock it until you try it.

Been mostly using some Bulleit glasses I got for Father's Day. Every once in a while if I do a flight or side by side I have some smaller soju glasses I'll use. They're wide open and taper down, like the bottom half of a glencairn.

• 5 months later...
I have a handful of Glencairns but I am moving away from those and more into small snifters. IMO, the wider surface area and tapered opening allow me to delve deeper into the nose of what I'm enjoying. Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

It took a while, but lately I've been moving away from my Glencairns to small snifters also. I'll still reach for a Glencairn now and again, but it's usually my second or third choice (or if I haven't washed dishes in a while).

What size snifters are you guys using? It seems to me that a standard size is way too big. I would think something like a 6 - 8 oz. size would be perfect? Also, where do you get smaller sizes? All I can find are the 9-14 oz. sizes.

It took a while, but lately I've been moving away from my Glencairns to small snifters also. I'll still reach for a Glencairn now and again, but it's usually my second or third choice (or if I haven't washed dishes in a while).

My wife has moved back to small snifters while I stick with the Glencairn. I only mention this because she has a much more highly developed palate than I do. The rim of the snifter is wider so the aromas are not as concentrated. But the surface area of the exposed bourbon is also proportionately larger so it is releasing more to appreciate. Someday I will be as evolved as she is. In the meantime, pass that bottle will you, please.

I usually prefer a small rocks glass. However, I recently got some some snifters, and I am really enjoying them. If they are clean... I find myself reaching for them.

What size snifters are you guys using? It seems to me that a standard size is way too big. I would think something like a 6 - 8 oz. size would be perfect? Also, where do you get smaller sizes? All I can find are the 9-14 oz. sizes.

Eric, the couple that I have are 12 oz. A wouldn't mind a smaller one from time to time though....6-8 oz. would probably be pretty good.

I have a Glencairn but I don't like the way I keep bonking the glass into my nose when having a relaxing end-of-the-day drink.

While out gift shopping, I found Bormioli Rocco "Galassia" glasses. The "juice" aka "small rocks" size holds 6.5oz, sits perfect in the hand with just enough weight for my taste, and stacks base-to-base with its buddies for storage and amusement.

$6 per box of 6 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx helped with the buying decision.

51rej6T0sJL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I have a Glencairn but I don't like the way I keep bonking the glass into my nose when having a relaxing end-of-the-day drink.

While out gift shopping, I found Bormioli Rocco "Galassia" glasses. The "juice" aka "small rocks" size holds 6.5oz, sits perfect in the hand with just enough weight for my taste, and stacks base-to-base with its buddies for storage and amusement.

That's a good looking glass.

It seems to me that too many bourbonistas fail to distinguish "nosing and tasting" from that "relaxing end-of-the-day drink." How many posts have you read from guys who only drink it this way or that way? A glass should fit its purpose. I don't put ice cubes in my Clencairn and I don't nose my bourbon from a rocks glass--though I do often pause to take a sniff before sipping.

I use Riedel Vinum Port glasses....similar bowl shape to the Glencairns, and I already had them so figured I'd stick with what I already have. But at $40 for a set of 2, the Glencairns are probably a better value. I got the glasses as a gift many years ago, they do a great job.

Recently, I have been using some rounded Yellowstone shot glasses. I bought 2 doz at an estate sale for 10 cents each and the stack nicely. It seems that larger the glass, the more I drink in each pour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.