Your #1 fave 4R SB bottle?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got a brand new botle of K&L's special 9.1 year old Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection (birthday present to myself!) today, and boy....it doesn't suck. It coats the glass beautifully, has great aroma, and is lingering and gorgeous.

I got an OESQ bottle, at 9.1, and 112 proof...one ice cube, and it's off to the races. You can sit and smell it for a long time and you'll keep getting new smells. This delish juice got me thinking: what's the best single barrel bottle of 4R I've ever had? While this is magnificent, and easily the best bourbon I've bought in awhile, it's not my fave, ( I hated the '09 Mariage, for some odd reason....) I think I really prefer the OB mash, cuz of the higher rye content....

So, what's your favorite 4R SB you've ever had? I think mine was the dram I got at a bar in Seattle (who knows about Zig Zag Cafe?!?!) that served me an 8 year OBSX (forget the yeast) private label back around '08.

The Oscar/Tony standard 100 proof SB from the Thoroghbred Shoppe in Lexington is the hands down best FRSB I have ever tasted. Glad to have a couple more in the bunker.

I have only one more of those infamous Curtis/Hightower selections.

It was the best 100prf 4R1B I have ever had.

Followed by a selection made by Liquor City in Covington KY.

Last Spring I came across a couple that had the most sweet and fruity flavor of any 4R1B 100prf from the Warehouse US and Barrel No 10-2A and 10-1D.

But my all time favorites are the 2008 & '09 Maraige.

Followed by Binny's Barrel Strength selections of OESO & OBSK recipes.

Not had as many 4R variations as others here so the Binny's OBSK barrel strength followed by a 100 proof Binny's # 3 from a few years back. Went through 3 of those # 3s.

The Curtis/Hightower is outstanding. It would be great if the band could get together again!

The Oscar/Tony is not bad either!

I'm only a recent convert to the Four Roses line, but the 100th Anniversary bottle was a real stunner: 17 year OBSV that I was sad to pour my last from last night, as a matter of fact. I hope to find another bottle. So far, my favorite SB recipe that's not an LE is OBSQ, bottled by Binny's; a perfect balance of full honey-caramel sweetness and absolutely unique astringency.

I've been mixing my Binny's OBSF with the standard release Small Batch to great affect: adds a beautiful depth to the SmB while broadening all the high notes of the OBSF.

I have an 08 Mariage, '10 LE SmB, '11 LE SB and a Binny's OESQ waiting for room to open up in my open bottle cabinet.

I've had too many outstanding 4R SB to name an avsolute favorite. It's my favorite FR product.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently loving the OBSK K&L selected last year (bottling at 62% ABV certainly helps).

( I hated the '09 Mariage, for some odd reason....)

Jim Rutledge wasn't too fond of the '09 Mariage either. Apparently the "mariage" had a little more of the 19 year old bourbon than what he had previously approved.

Haven't had the opportunity to try a lot of these indie bottlings but I can tell you I have had and adore the 100th anniversary LE

I love the Jim Rutledge Shopper's Vineyard bottle... But I think my favorite comes from Schneider's of Capitol Hill - their store bottling is among the most floral, sweet and enjoyable SB's I've had.

TPS & Binny's also do a great job.

Thus far, it is Binny's OESO which I am sad to say is now deceased. Once I open my '09 Mariage and recently acquired Gift Shop OBSV 16yo, I may have to make a difficult reassessment.

Very little 4R experience yet but I've enjoyed the regular 4RSB and I had read a lot of good opinions on the obsk so had to give TPS OBSK a try. 62.6 abv - aged 10 yrs, 7 months. The first thing I noticed was how much darker it was. Big rye, big abv, and intense flavors that make your mouth light up and your tongue say howdy!

It's not subtle stuff but I'm liking it a lot and feel it was well worth the $48. I've been enjoying it neat in small doses so far, but thinking I might play with a tiny bit of water with this one to pick up even more flavors.

Rich

found a couple of bottles of the 2009 LE this week one the shelf...quite tasty stuff. This is my new favorite 4R (for now).

I'm a sucker for any OBSK.

Have you been able to compare yours with some other labels? Not "better" or "worse", but comparisons of the profiles. I've only had the new Party Source bottling and find it delicious. I'm asking because the wife and I will visit Chicago in a couple of months and I've reserved the back of the car for Binny's whiskey :)

Have you been able to compare yours with some other labels? Not "better" or "worse", but comparisons of the profiles. I've only had the new Party Source bottling and find it delicious. I'm asking because the wife and I will visit Chicago in a couple of months and I've reserved the back of the car for Binny's whiskey :)

For the most part (90% of the time), you can't go wrong with the binny's hand picked stuff.

Also- the South loop and the Lincoln park locations have all bottlings available to sample IIRC. Other locations might as well.

I love the Jim Rutledge Shopper's Vineyard bottle... But I think my favorite comes from Schneider's of Capitol Hill - their store bottling is among the most floral, sweet and enjoyable SB's I've had.

TPS & Binny's also do a great job.

I love Schneiders also. The first toime I bought it, I didnt know it was their own selection. The second time I went back they told me they sleected it themselves. I said great, which recipe is it from, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I was probably talking to the wrong person, maybe I will try and go back and se who knows. Hopefully someone will.

I love Schneiders also. The first toime I bought it, I didnt know it was their own selection. The second time I went back they told me they sleected it themselves. I said great, which recipe is it from, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I was probably talking to the wrong person, maybe I will try and go back and se who knows. Hopefully someone will.

I believe they just kind of fell into it... The owner knows what it is, and pushed it on me pretty hard when I bought some other stuff from him (like Vintage Rye) by mail order. He gave me a good deal on it (like $38?) so I was very happy before I even tasted it.

I can't for the life of me recall the recipe now - I think it was an OBSK. Super sweet and floral. Good stuff, and I believe he still has more...

I haven't had the opportunity to try other handpick's. However, I would assume they'd be relatively close in character, as they age a little more consistently and controlled than others. The smaller ricks and such. If you swing by the S. Loop, let me know and I'll have a taste of OBSK waiting for you. :grin:

Okay, it might have just been the Lincoln park location that had all the bottles (it was a while ago though)

• 2 months later...

I have a 120th Anniversary that I think is OBSK--has some sweetness to it.

I think the Highland Park Binny's had 9 on the shelf the other day.

I'd love to do a sit down of all of them.

Just posting as AaronWF's editor. Correction: please replace "affect" with "effect" in Aaron's post on the first page. Thanks.

As AaronWF's editor, I apologize for taking this long to notice his error.

OK, I realize this is probably too obtuse for y'all. I am making fun of Aaron for mistaking "affect" for "effect."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.