Your #1 fave 4R SB bottle?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My favorites are the two 17 y/o's that were recently released at the FR gift shop. OBSV, barrel proof and fantastic.

Joe

This is a great pair of 17YO's..... we should have gotten a few more Joe!!

... also, anybody else notice the pattern with Four Roses barrel proof offerings? Barrel proof FR just doesn't drink like most bourbon from other distilleries at barrel proof. I don't know what the secret is, but they are just so drinkable.

A very good point indeed. I don't know what it is either but there is definitely something going on there. Somewhere in thread a while back, somebody here made the comment that Jim Rutledge might be today's personification of Pappy. After trying an assortment of 4R offerings, I tend to agree. Maybe a good bit of credit goes toward the yeasts, the recipes, the 2-story warehouses, etc., but, there has to be a master hand guiding same as well as selection oversight. At present, perhaps nobody is doing it better than JR and just maybe the Pappy comment does indeed ring a good bit of truth.

That being said, the Pappy standard is large & legendary and not to be applied lightly. I don't think we are doing that comparing these two masters. I suppose that is why I now have more 4R in my stash than anything else.

What are perceptions and reactions to the OBSK currently offered by TPS? In the description of same, Jay mentions & compares the previous OBSK from TPS. I missed out on that one but understand it was really nice. I got a couple of the current and have one open. I just wonder how it ranks as compared to some popular OBSK barrels from Binny's(?) At 125.2, I am just not sure as yet where I place it in my rankings. I was not overly impressed at first sampling, but, it is getting better slightly over time. Just not sure if I will be getting more at this point.

The only bottle I've ever had from Binny's - thanks to a fellow SB member - was OESO and it was fantastic! I currently have a private bottling of OESO from Buster's (Memphis). It is quite good as well, just slightly less than the Binny's selection.

What are perceptions and reactions to the OBSK currently offered by TPS? In the description of same, Jay mentions & compares the previous OBSK from TPS. I missed out on that one but understand it was really nice. I got a couple of the current and have one open. I just wonder how it ranks as compared to some popular OBSK barrels from Binny's(?) At 125.2, I am just not sure as yet where I place it in my rankings. I was not overly impressed at first sampling, but, it is getting better slightly over time. Just not sure if I will be getting more at this point.

The only bottle I've ever had from Binny's - thanks to a fellow SB member - was OESO and it was fantastic! I currently have a private bottling of OESO from Buster's (Memphis). It is quite good as well, just slightly less than the Binny's selection.

Bring it down to 50% or so and see what you think, if you haven't already. I liked it a lot at barrel proof, but it was something else entirely with a bit of water. To my palate, it became a lavender rye fruit bomb.

Have you tasted the new 2012 LE OESK? I've only had one pour so far, but my first impression is that it's a very impressive release. I think the bottle I opened was around 120 proof and very rich and flavorful... also, anybody else notice the pattern with Four Roses barrel proof offerings? Barrel proof FR just doesn't drink like most bourbon from other distilleries at barrel proof. I don't know what the secret is, but they are just so drinkable.

I do have a bottle of the 2012 1BLE open, and it's a beaut. Mine is 108.6pf and is nothing but creamy pleasure. I generally prefer the B mashbill, but I'm not complaining when it comes to this one! Also, I agree about barrel-proof FR: I add water to most CS whiskeys, but never, ever do it with FR.

What are perceptions and reactions to the OBSK currently offered by TPS? ... I just wonder how it ranks as compared to some popular OBSK barrels from Binny's(?) At 125.2, I am just not sure as yet where I place it in my rankings. I was not overly impressed at first sampling, but, it is getting better slightly over time. Just not sure if I will be getting more at this point.

I kicked a Binny's OBSK a week or so ago. At 122pf, it was pretty hot when I first opened it - tasty, but less elegant than other bottles I've had. It opened up really nicely with time and space in the bottle, and the last few pours were delectable. I much preferred it to the OBSF I had that was around 124pf.

The standard off the shelf 4R SB product at 100 proof is tough to beat from these guys. I have to say that has not been a Barrel Proof option that I've enjoyed any more, and frankly have liked several of them less. I'll take the regular bottling every time, and be happy. Of these, McScrooge's did a private standard bottling that was magnificent. Of the Barrel Proofers, I would say the Ledger's/EBSG Barrel #4 10yr OBSK has been the best that I've had. Still, one of the best noses on a whiskey that I've ever experienced.

The standard off the shelf 4R SB product at 100 proof is tough to beat from these guys. I have to say that has not been a Barrel Proof option that I've enjoyed any more, and frankly have liked several of them less. I'll take the regular bottling every time, and be happy. Of these, McScrooge's did a private standard bottling that was magnificent. Of the Barrel Proofers, I would say the Ledger's/EBSG Barrel #4 10yr OBSK has been the best that I've had. Still, one of the best noses on a whiskey that I've ever experienced.

I agree completely Joe. TPS does a private bottling of the standard 1B that is an absolute steal at $31.99, IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a couple more of my favorite bottle of Four Roses today! :)

post-4808-14489817958553_thumb.jpg

TPS does a private bettling of the standard 1B that is an absolute steal at $31.99, IMHO

Agreed! Excellent FR and not just for the money.

Almost gone last time I checked, though.

They will soon regret parting with them Bob!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few bottles of the standard 4 Roses SB and just haven't been enthused. It's not bad, I just don't like it any more and don't find it to stand out from othe bourbons prices equally or less. I want to love it, but it just doesn't wow me. Individual taste varies a lot and changes over time. I'll keep trying it every now and then b/c its readily available and good enough. Maybe one day it will click.

• 3 weeks later...
I've not tried any of the special bottlings, but then, have made no effort to obtain any. Probably because I wasn't all that impressed by the standard 4R SB. When that showed up in OR in 2009 I ran right out and bought a bottle...and was disappointed.

With all the love expressed for 4R SB here, I guess I was expecting to see God.

Instead I saw Chuck Cowdery. :bigeyes:

I have a bottle of 4RSB standarn from the TN warehouse that was the first bourbon that I truly loved over the others I had gotten (at the time). I was not impressed with 4RSB LE 2011 and that is all the 4R I have tried. I think I want to try Small Batch next.

Currently a Private Selection OESF, 9 years, 9 months 122.0PF. Huge, rich and very sweet...

FR1B2012 has been my favorite so far follow by a 1B bottling for a local chain Beltramo's I will have to look at what recipe it is when I get home and update this post. I have also found that the standard sb is very good once you hit that sweet spot in the bottle! I had a pour last night that was very nice!

Currently a Private Selection OESF, 9 years, 9 months 122.0PF. Huge, rich and very sweet...

What he said... hell, yeah !

Sounds very much like the Bottle Barn selection, although OBSK. Just a terrific drinker and sad to see it gone, although I grabbed the last 3 from the shelf, so not completely gone for me.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Lately, been in love with a plain ole SB OBSV 100 that is 8 yrs 6 mos....but, I still give the nod to the TPS OBSQ I obtained a few months ago. When it's gone, going to give their new OBSQ a shot. I think it's a little older and higher proof. In any event, not had a bad 4R yet.

Every one I've had has been very good. Four Roses always delivers.

2009 Mariage

I'm pretty much a fanboy as well.

I went back last night to get into the final 1/3 of the 2011 SBLE and found it very rewarding. It seems the longer that one stays open, the better it gets. I know the 2011 was far from the being the favorite in the short but storied history of the SBLE, but I might just have to find another one one of these days.

I went back last night to get into the final 1/3 of the 2011 SBLE and found it very rewarding. It seems the longer that one stays open, the better it gets. I know the 2011 was far from the being the favorite in the short but storied history of the SBLE, but I might just have to find another one one of these days.

I really enjoyed the '11 as well. Its always love hate with single barrels. As a month ago, I could get it fairly easy. Let.me know if I can help

I really enjoyed the '11 as well. Its always love hate with single barrels. As a month ago, I could get it fairly easy. Let.me know if I can help

Will do. I think I know where there are 2 more on the shelf, but you never know. I may be back in touch on that note. Cheers!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.