Your #1 fave 4R SB bottle?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not had as many 4R variations as others here so the Binny's OBSK barrel strength followed by a 100 proof Binny's # 3 from a few years back. Went through 3 of those # 3s.

I'm going with the Binny's #3 as well. I bought the last of the OBSV 100 prf that they had at the Lincoln Park store two weeks ago. All three now sit in the bunker. Best 4R pick imo!

• 2 weeks later...

I've not tried any of the special bottlings, but then, have made no effort to obtain any. Probably because I wasn't all that impressed by the standard 4R SB. When that showed up in OR in 2009 I ran right out and bought a bottle...and was disappointed.

With all the love expressed for 4R SB here, I guess I was expecting to see God.

Instead I saw Chuck Cowdery. :eek:

I've not tried any of the special bottlings, but then, have made no effort to obtain any. Probably because I wasn't all that impressed by the standard 4R SB. When that showed up in OR in 2009 I ran right out and bought a bottle...and was disappointed.

With all the love expressed for 4R SB here, I guess I was expecting to see God.

Instead I saw Chuck Cowdery. :eek:

Go get 2011 limited small batch... It'll change your life :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...
Go get 2011 limited small batch... It'll change your life :shocked:

Darn. Not the response I was hoping for.

:skep:

Anyway, when I say "effort to obtain any" I definitely mean effort. Because Oregon is one of those flavors of control state where the only buyer is the state itself. A distiller/importer must convince the OLCC to carry a specific product. For limited production items, many companies don't feel it's worth the trouble.

So all we get here is YL, the standard SmB and standard SB.

But I'll be in Cal in June, and keep an eye out for it.

They had a 17 y/o OBSV Barrel Proof in the gift shop recently. I didn't open it yet, but I'm expecting great things.

Joe :usflag:

They had a 17 y/o OBSV Barrel Proof in the gift shop recently. I didn't open it yet, but I'm expecting great things.

Joe :usflag:

Drinking the OBSV gift shop bottle right now and it is very good. Of the few that I've tried, OBSV and OESO remain my favorite mashbills (with my favorite single bottle being from a private barrel OESO).

2011 Paws and Claws Four Roses OESO - 56.1% ..... this was an amazing barrel... that IMO bests the 40th...

post-1354-14489817901028_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817901028_thumb.jpg

2011 Paws and Claws Four Roses OESO - 56.1% ..... this was an amazing barrel... that IMO bests the 40th...

That gets my vote for #1 4R bottle with an animal blowing smoke rings.

I have that in my top 3...the other two being Paws and Claws OBSK and 1789b OBSV.

These OESO's sound awesome. Anyone with a thought/preference to this over OBSK? (And I can read the website, I'm looking for personal experience)

These OESO's sound awesome. Anyone with a thought/preference to this over OBSK? (And I can read the website, I'm looking for personal experience)

I find they're very different in flavor profile. I love them both at their best, but I'm not sure it's going to come down to one recipe is better than the other as much as it is which one tastes best to your palate. There's only one way for you to find out. Binny's has a history of selecting good OESO's. I'm not sure how their current selection is, but might be a good place to start...

I had a sample of an OESV and OESO that were both gushing soft corn butter, but all in all, I prefer the more balanced OB profile. OE is sweeter, and like Nivto said, at their best they can be superb. The 2012 LE1B is OESK, so that would be a great one to go up against your OBSK.

My current fave is the most recent 17yo OBSV from the gift shop. I also love Binny's OBSQ.

My current fave is the most recent 17yo OBSV from the gift shop. I also love Binny's OBSQ.

I've been thinking on this question for some time and holding off til I could get a side-by-side tasting of all I have at present. The only one I have held off opening is a 16yo from the gift shop from this past winter. Once I sample that one, I may have to adjust my opinion.

Anyhow, as of the present, I have to give my nod to the latest OBSQ from TPS. Although one of the lower proof offerings I've seen at 98.2, it is absolutely grand in my book :drink: having just the right balance of everything & needing no water. A close 2d would be OBSV from TPS that I am just about to empty :frown:. It came in at 108.2 and adding water to it would be a rotten shame as well.

I've been thinking on this question for some time and holding off til I could get a side-by-side tasting of all I have at present. The only one I have held off opening is a 16yo from the gift shop from this past winter. Once I sample that one, I may have to adjust my opinion.

Anyhow, as of the present, I have to give my nod to the latest OBSQ from TPS. Although one of the lower proof offerings I've seen at 98.2, it is absolutely grand in my book :drink: having just the right balance of everything & needing no water. A close 2d would be OBSV from TPS that I am just about to empty :frown:. It came in at 108.2 and adding water to it would be a rotten shame as well.

Cigarnv, that is probably the case. I know I typically lean toward the rye heavy and higher proof stuff, so that one would be down my list without a good recommendation like this

Anyhow, as of the present, I have to give my nod to the latest OBSQ from TPS. Although one of the lower proof offerings I've seen at 98.2, it is absolutely grand in my book :drink: having just the right balance of everything & needing no water.

I've had two OBSQ barrels from Binny's and just ran into a third the other day. They all come in under 110pf and are probably my favorite recipe I've had from Binny's. In my experience, the lower the proof out of the barrel, the better the bourbon, when it comes to FR anyway, though the 17yo gift shop OBSVs that hover right around 110pf are drop dead gorgeous.That 98.2 is damn impressive.

I think I've got a bottle or two from Four Roses that are in the 112-120 range that might change your opinion on that Aaron! You just have to find the time to get out here to taste them! ;)

I think you'll find I have a very open mind when it comes to this sort of thing, Bob! Let's make it happen!
How about next Friday night...say 8ish?

The low proof OBSQ from TPS is probably the best OBSQ I have had. For some reason this is a real tough recipe to find great barrels of. Jay has had this one around for a while.... as good as it is I am not sure why it is still there. Possibly folks see the low proof????

I agree with everything you've said. I think the lower proof barrel proof gets overlooked at times. Also, I think the 2011 LE SB OBSQ got some sour reviews....and, from what Mr. Rutledge said, it may have well deserved it. This may have put a damper on giving OBSQ a chance in a regular single private barreling. I still have not dropped the dough for one of the 2011 LE in either small batch or single barrel. After I read JR's comment about "Q" yeast being a bit more difficult to master & select, I got to thinking about it further in relation to my TPS bottles. At that point, I got a couple more before they were all gone. I hope they get another one very similar and knowing Jay, he might even do better.

My favorites are the two 17 y/o's that were recently released at the FR gift shop. OBSV, barrel proof and fantastic.

Joe

In my experience, the lower the proof out of the barrel, the better the bourbon, when it comes to FR anyway

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.