What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Very Old Barton BIB. Nobody believes me when I tell them that it really isn't that bad for the price.

I love the stuff. Being in Cincinnati, I try to get everyone to stock it; it's so cheap there's no reason not to have a bottle of it around. When we toured the distillery, the guide was surprised to find that VOB BiB was my favorite product of theirs; he kept trying to convince my wife and buddy that 1792 is better.

The thread question asks "enjoying".

I'm sipping it but I ain't enjoying it.

It's a bottle of 4R OBSV barrel strength selected by The Party Source of Bellvue, KY.

This crap blows.

Very hot and thin, no redeeming qualities, well it is 108.2 proof so it would be good to guzzel and party like a frat boy I suppose.

I have been warned before about special selections from The Party Source but I was weak and I rolled the dice and crapped out.

I picked one of these up for my first 4R SB a little while back; I couldn't believe how bad it was. I've since tried 5 SBs from 4R and have loved all of the rest of them. I can't warn people enough to stay away from that SB selection.

On another note, my buddy picked up ETL from CNB; it was downright awful as well. They way some people talk about it here, it seems it might have been a poor selection as well.

Allow me to boldly agree with what others have said.

I've been tooting the VOB BiB (and even 90 proof) horn for years myself. Soooooooooooo frickin' good.

The only TPS selections I've really liked have been the Bowman Rye and a couple Willets when I was still buying those. I bought a BT last time I was there and it is slightly better than the standard offering, but not on a level with the ones I've had from Binny's or Kahn's which were stellar.

Right now, I'm enjoying some Lawrenceburg-bottled Old Rip 90 and shaking my head about all this Van Winkle hysteria. Can't even find the Old Rip 107 around here anymore. Never thought it would ever get that crazy.

Just a pinch of WT American Spirit for me tonight. If not the most complex of the WT one-offs of recent years, it is certainly the most drinkable...and maybe the most enjoyable? Tribute is still the Gold Standard of these releases IMO, but for every day approachability, the AS gets my nod. This is a whiskey you can sip and contemplate over, or you can enjoy simply drinking it.

Tonight I am enjoying a pour of Abraham Bowman Bourbon barrel 5. For a nightcap I think a pour of Stagg 2011 is in order.

Sipping on this OWA7/107 Louisville bottle I got... the UPC is 88004 so it was definitely bottled by BT.. but it tastes like a combination of BT and SW juice. Not as bad as BT juice, but not as good as full blown SW. Either way, it's good and I look forward to enjoying it for a while as I know have 5 liters of the stuff :lol:

Sipping on this OWA7/107 Louisville bottle I got... the UPC is 88004 so it was definitely bottled by BT.. but it tastes like a combination of BT and SW juice. Not as bad as BT juice, but not as good as full blown SW. Either way, it's good and I look forward to enjoying it for a while as I know have 5 liters of the stuff :lol:

Not as bad as BT juice? The BT juice is fantastic too. Nothin but love for the OWA.

I'm enjoying some good ol' Maker's Mark tonight. I guess because I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador they sent me this silly Christmas sweater for a 750ml bottle. And of course, I ended up buying a bottle since I didn't have one on hand.

IMG_1888.jpg

While at the Makers Mark lounge in Louisville I had some ORVW 10/107, EC 18, and OGD 114...now that I'm back at the hotel I'm getting into some FR SV Rutledge OBSV...yummy stuff for a store offering!

Not exactly enjoying, but getting close to the end of a liter of Cabin Still that I picked up for a VBT a while back. It's not terrible :grin:

Started off with some VOB BiB on the rocks after a supper of corned beef and cabbage braised in apple cider. Now I've moved on to Kahn's select Rock Hill Farms. Their other selections have been up and down, but the RHF is always stellar, and $10 cheaper than what I see it for around here.

Getting back into a bottle of EWSB barreled in '99, bottled in '09. A little sweeter than I remember it, but not a bad pour.

Rainy and windy outside, sitting down with some Ridgemont Reserve and Stephen Kings, The Stand.

A great film, when I have 6 hours to kill. You probably went through several bottles watching this.

A great film, when I have 6 hours to kill. You probably went through several bottles watching this.

LOL :slappin:

I will watch it when I am done with the book. Tonight a little OGD 114, I think that will help clear my stuffy head... or maybe not?

I had some Blanton's last night and it was better than I remember. It seems a little time in the bottle has helped.

Bowling night again. :rolleyes: Bowled good, and drank pretty good too. One of the guys brought some Binny's Weller 12, and I brought some 1988 SW Cabin Still, and some current Yellowstone. :grin: FWIW, the Yellowstone wasn't half bad. :skep: I know..... Cheers! Joe

At a buddy's house, had some Gentleman Jack. Not bad, wouldn't turn it down if offered again. Light and candy sweet but not at all off-putting.

Mentioned a few days ago my disdain for a party source bottling of 4R single barrel. I never really got into my bottle of Sazerac rye from them either. It always seemed a bit thin and watery, lacking the spice that I was hoping for from a rye (it was my first rye). Admittedly I bought it for Sazerac cocktails, which it worked well in.

My question: was the PS bottling of Sazerac rye a good representation? Sazerac isn't letting people do their own selections anymore so it's a moot point as far as buying more. Just curious. Thanks all!

I had a pour of PVW 15 last night and it just didn't sit right on my palate. I hate ruining a good bourbon on a bad palate night...thankfully it was just a small pour!

Thoroughly enjoying a Fleischmann's Rye this evening. A nice sweetness on the tip of the tongue, then a beautiful transition to it's full ryeness. Our Jeff Renner, in a thread from a couple of years ago, described the flavor as "teaberry", and that's exactly what it is. A little "dried flowers" too, as it passes to the back of the palate. The finish is dry, but it lingers for quite some time. Just delightful whiskey. For an 80 proofer, it really puts you on a rollercoaster of sensations. And, at a hair over $19 + tax for the 1.75L bottle, I feel like I hit the lottery.

Enjoying several pours of Old Ezra 101 as the first blast of winter is supposed to come through tonight.

Ass kicking delicious Abraham Bowman 10 year old 134.6 proof rye bottled by Party Source followed by outstanding ORVW 107 of the 2010 vintage. Last night was exquisite Jim Rutledge selected OESV Four Roses bottled for Shoppers Vineyard at 112.4 proof followed by sinfully rich OGD BIB from DSP-14, distilled in '79 and bottled 8 years later in '87. Its been a great whiskey week and continuing affirmation that bourbon and rye are the finest and most pleasurable of drinks known to man.

I did that the other night too, VSOF then Weller 12. It was a nice progression I thought.

I think you've inspired me to do it the other way tonight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.