What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While wrapping the rest of the Christmas gifts I look the liberty to taste test some Willett Hi Time Cellars 6yr, Toddy's Willett 10yr Purple Wax, and some Old Fitz BIB DSP 16/24. The Toddy's Purple Wax was the winner of the evening...very nice selection by the crew in Bardstown! :cool:

While wrapping the rest of the Christmas gifts I look the liberty to taste test some Willett Hi Time Cellars 6yr, Toddy's Willett 10yr Purple Wax, and some Old Fitz BIB DSP 16/24. The Toddy's Purple Wax was the winner of the evening...very nice selection by the crew in Bardstown! :cool:

Glad to see you coming around on the Toddy's purple wax. Good stuff and only 48 bottles from what Dougdog calls a "short" barrel adds some allure.

While watching my wife and daughter wrap presents :grin: I started with Old Fitz BIB from '84, then on to JDSB and a very small ending taste of a private bottling of 4R-OESO. The JDSB was the last 45ml of a bottle I've had open for over a year and its change of pace profile was what I needed, at least for this one night. Would consider another if I could get it at the $30 I paid for this now empty one.

@markedwards ... I've been eyeing that but always skip over it. I may have to go for it! Did you see the natgeo show on it?

I just opened a bottle of Rays 50th Anniversary Bourbon. A local liquor store had 150 bottles produced for them by Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee, WI. It is surprisingly good for a light colored 80 proof. I love it!

@markedwards ... I've been eyeing that but always skip over it. I may have to go for it! Did you see the natgeo show on it?

No, I missed the show, but have seen lots of the news items about it. I bought it out of curiosity and because the presentation was so well done.

This was a good (not great) scotch, and was very pleasant, but a bit delicate and not particularly complex. This is more a $60 scotch than a $150 scotch.

Got to thinking today that the new Col EH Taylor Sour Mash was very similar to my handle of old ER 101, so I did a side by side.

First time I've really smelled butterscotch on the nose, about 5-10 min into the pour, ER had it more than the EHT. ER was sweeter, less burn, not as complex but that made it easier to drink.

EHT was a bit bitter sweet, had a bit of burn, but tasted less sweet and more balanced than the ER.

I enjoyed them both but I think I've come to the conclusion that CEHTSM is not worth the $75 they charge for it. $50 probably. But I also paid $40 for this handle of ER 101!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.