What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried a close derivation of this last weekend: S-W WSR + BT OWA7 + egg nog....came out really good. It was so good, I went out & found a liter of S-W/WSR on a old dusty shelf. Now I can revisit this concoction for a few more seasons if lucky & conservative with supply...lol.

I'm not much of a vatter but occasionally enjoy this combination of S-W WSR with BT OWA in a 2/1 combo myself...but without the eggnog.

The line-up tonight, and help get my perspective back on life after a devastating Chicago Bears loss :hot: , are pours of Bowman Rye 134.6 proof and a Four Roses OESV 112.4 proof barrel picked by Mr. Rutledge himself.

Working on a few fingers of Old Charter 10 while watching the Cowboys and Giants.

Nothing to write home about, but I've got this big honkin' handle of it and it's certainly not going to drink itself.

I've been suffering from a cold for the last week so I haven't been drinking anything. I had a pour of 16 year Lagavulin last night at a party, but stopped after one since I couldn't smell or taste much anyway. I'm really hoping this is gone in a day or so so I can get back to appreciating some bourbon and/or rye.

Last night it was PVW 15 (fall 2011 BT juice). I only alllowed myself 2 small pours. Then I transitioned to Old Weller Antique from a bottle that's been more than half empty for a few weeks and has really come into its own. The switch from PVW15 to OWA was surprisingly smooth and NOT disappointing, and the common Weller/wheated/BT thread in the flavor was apparent. The OWA really held its ground pretty well, quite good. I can't believe OWA is $18.99. Seems like a steal.

This fall in general, OWA is my go-to wheater and OGD114 is my go-to high-rye flavor. Cheap and just real, real good stuff.

STLb

Couldn't agree more. I think those are two of the best values in bourbon!

Working on a few fingers of Old Charter 10 while watching the Cowboys and Giants.

Nothing to write home about, but I've got this big honkin' handle of it and it's certainly not going to drink itself.

It's a rough life some times ain't it?:grin:

Been hitting the rye's pretty heavy lately, so i'd thought i would swing the pendulum the other way to balance life out.

Opened a Weller 12yr tonight. Gotta make this one last a bit, seeing it's not seen within MN, and its the only one i have.

Thankfully, Christmas is with the family in IL. Need to start making that Binny's wish list soon.

Like most, it needs some open time in the bottle, but the first glass is lovely.

B

Jim beam black recently. Its a good drinker at $20 for a liter.

I've been really getting back into all the Beam brands lately.

WTRB and WTKS. RB is winning hands down. Whatever WTKS they were pouring at Whiskey Fest Chicago 2011 was certainly a honey barrel!:rolleyes:

Tried OWA first neat then with a splash of water. Really different experiences both nice! Followed up with a small pour of MB Roland black dog bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened a Weller 12yr tonight. Gotta make this one last a bit, seeing it's not seen within MN, and its the only one i have.

B

I could have sworn I'd seen it at that big store in Nordeast....although that would have been months ago. They don't list it on their website though.

I enjoyed a nice 1:1 vatting of OWA and WLW 2011 last night. This particular bottle of OWA is just a little thin tasting to me, and the bump in proof and richness of the WLW really helped to balance things out.

I enjoyed a nice 1:1 vatting of OWA and WLW 2011 last night. This particular bottle of OWA is just a little thin tasting to me, and the bump in proof and richness of the WLW really helped to balance things out.

OFBB '08, neat, spicy goodness, so glad I have more then 1 bottle

John J. Bowman Single Barrel

Trying it neat at the moment... and I'm unsure of it. It has a great nose with lots of caramel and vanilla. As for the taste/mouthfeel it is a bit harsh. Not bad. But not smooth like, say, Blanton's. I'm also getting a floral component from it on the back end. So, I think it's interesting to say the least. Worth the $50 and change I paid for it? I don't think so. But I'm not knocking it. I still need to try it on the rocks and see how it opens up.

Pounding Mellow Corn at the moment. It's drinking way too easy. Like candied water.

I'm also having some current Old Fitz 12yr. I've had this bottle open for many months, and it still disappoints.:rolleyes:

John J. Bowman Single Barrel

Trying it neat at the moment... and I'm unsure of it. It has a great nose with lots of caramel and vanilla. As for the taste/mouthfeel it is a bit harsh. Not bad. But not smooth like, say, Blanton's. I'm also getting a floral component from it on the back end. So, I think it's interesting to say the least. Worth the $50 and change I paid for it? I don't think so. But I'm not knocking it. I still need to try it on the rocks and see how it opens up.

I like it a lot but $50? Ouch.

Still working on my bottle of WLW 2011. Pretty good. Also tried a sampler of Baker's. That was not so impressive. Good thing I didn't buy a full bottle.

Decent pour of my quintessential rye tonight, Willett 4yr. I'll stand by my decision on this any day.

B

Savoring a Toddy's/LiquorWorld 5 yr Willett Rye this evening. I'm thinking this is probably from the same family as your 4 yr. If it is, you're right. It's terrific whiskey.

Savoring a Toddy's/LiquorWorld 5 yr Willett Rye this evening. I'm thinking this is probably from the same family as your 4 yr. If it is, you're right. It's terrific whiskey.

Yep, Just trying to spread the Gospel on this one, it really is a fine product. I just hope that with the recent sale of LDI, that some of these with still be available in the years down the road.

I wouldn't feel too bad if some of the more recent other products coming out of there went by the wayside, I'm thinking of the Redemption and others, I've sampled them and the've been ok, but nothing special to write home about. The "stories" behind them are more interesting than the whiskey itself.

But i would be pretty bummed if the source of these for the Willett line would disappear. I think these really are some of the more interesting, and sometimes affordable products for ryes and bourbon. Rye especially. While sometimes had to find, like everything else worthwhile, but totally worth seeking out.

Maybe Chuck knows a bot more, since he did have that nice article on them that just came to my doorstep, but even there much talk was not forthcoming from them.

I'll just continuing the current hoarding of them........

B

Yep, Just trying to spread the Gospel on this one, it really is a fine product. I just hope that with the recent sale of LDI, that some of these with still be available in the years down the road.

I wouldn't feel too bad if some of the more recent other products coming out of there went by the wayside, I'm thinking of the Redemption and others, I've sampled them and the've been ok, but nothing special to write home about. The "stories" behind them are more interesting than the whiskey itself.

But i would be pretty bummed if the source of these for the Willett line would disappear. I think these really are some of the more interesting, and sometimes affordable products for ryes and bourbon. Rye especially. While sometimes had to find, like everything else worthwhile, but totally worth seeking out.

Maybe Chuck knows a bot more, since he did have that nice article on them that just came to my doorstep, but even there much talk was not forthcoming from them.

I'll just continuing the current hoarding of them........

B

I'm curious how many barrels Willett has in the pipeline. They've released 2, 3, and 4 year olds, all single barrels, already. I wonder if they have more, and if so, are they earmarked for longer aging?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.