What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Lot B is a nice choice for the fall. I had a pour of Maker's and an old fashioned with made with High West Rendezvous and Peychaud's bitters.

A little Dickel #12 down the hatch last night. Not bad, not bad at all when you need something simple and light.

Last night it was KCSB with a neighbor. Still haven't had any that is appreciably better / different than the standard- issue KC.

On vacation in Louisville, so it was Weller 12 for breakfast and a flight of RHF, Blanton's, and ETL at lunch. Who knows what the evening in 4th street may bring.

Was over at Halifax's house last night and we hit a lot of different bourbons...I'm definitely feeling they effects of the booze today! ;)

Yellowstone 7/90

Fighting Cock 8yr/103pr

WTRB 1991/1996

ETL 90pr Single Barrel from 1993

ETL BUB 107

Henry Mckenna Lawrenceburg

Pappy 15

Pappy 20

Trying to finish up a bottle of Benchmark, which I'm "tolerating" and not exactly "enjoying." This is some young bourbon.

Was over at Halifax's house last night and we hit a lot of different bourbons...

You do get around.

What were you doing in NC besides raiding Rod's bunker?

I knocked off a bottle of ODG 114 last night on my buddies porch. No, it was not full when I started.

Tonight it's a little Saz Jr. Not sure what I will have after this.

KBS Selection of 1792. A beautiful sweetness up front. Subtle hit of oak to balance it out. A very nice complement to a nice early Fall evening...

Having a pour of FR SmB LE 2010, and this bourbon is FINALLY hitting the sweet spot for me. It's been open for months, and i found it lacking something each time I tried it. I don't know what has changed tonight, but it is tasting great and is a terrific first pour for the fall.

Let's see if I can recall all of the samples from Galt House in downtown Louisville last night.

VWFRR - first taste of this ever. Some really good rye

OFBB 2011

Old Pogue

Kentucky Beau

JW Dant

Old Charter Prop Reserve

Original Barrel 107 by Heaven Hill

Old Ezra 7

ORVW 10/90

ORVW 10/107

Bookers

TW Samuels

Kentucky Gentleman

Fighting Cock

JTS Brown

I was on a mission to try most of what they had that I had never sampled. I was severely disappointed in the OCPR given the love it gets on here. Maybe their bottle has just been open too long. Jean the bartender said it was their last one. The JTS Brown may be a new value pour for me. I was fairly impressed for a bottom shelfer. I was pretty impressed with the Old Ezra 7 year too. Not sure if that one is still in production. Never seen it in my neck of the woods. Some like the Old Rips I had just to enjoy, and some like FC and Old Pogue were revisits that I hadn't enjoyed the first time. Still didn't care for either. The 2011 OFBB was pretty tasty. Lots of the typical OF flavors just more intense and with a hint of nutmeg to my palate finishing with a lot of black licorice. Only the KY Beau and the KY Gentleman were really awful according to my scribbled notes.

Heading to do the BT tour and WT tour this morning. Hope it stops raining before we get there.

I went to the bunker and grabbed a 2009 WLW. So good.

It's being put to much better use up here in the light that it was doing in hiding. Glad I have more.

Yesterday was the last full day in Louisville. Had samples of BT & ER10 at BT. Samples of RB & KS at WT & all three FR products there.

We went for appetizers at BLU at the Marriott when we got back. What a find! We had a flight of PVW 15,20, & 23 for $35!!!! We were really excited because we had only ever had the 20. Everyone agreed the 20 was the best. I was the sole holdout that said the 15 tasted better than the 23. The really good news was that after tasting it, the wife gave me permission to buy as much as I can find this fall! Followed that flight by finishing off the last of their GTS.

Back to the Galt House and I had:

Black Maple Hills

FR1B

The last sips from their last bottle of VG the Fox.

Wathen's

Buffalo Trace

Sam Houston

The wives wanted to finish the trip at Howl At The Moon. Best we could do there was Knob Creek.

All in all, a great trip. Got to same lots that I had never tasted before during the 3 days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.