Knob Creek Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They didn't exactly have the stiffest competition (though I am a fan of Baby Saz):

Best Rye, Double Gold Medal, Knob Creek Rye, Kentucky, [50%] $40.

Double Gold Medal, Reservoir Straight Rye Whiskey, Virginia, [50%] $80.

Double Gold Medal, Wild Turkey 81 Proof Rye, Rye, [40.5%] $23.

Gold Medal, Bulleit Rye, Kentucky, [45%] $28.

Gold Medal, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection New Cask Rye, Kentucky, [46%]

Silver Medal, Hudson Manhattan Rye, New York, [46%] $45. Importer: William Grant & Sons, USA - New York, NY

Silver Medal, Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey, Kentucky, [45%] $27.

Bronze Medal, Taos Lightning Lightning Rye, New Mexico, [45%] $57.

Bronze Medal, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Aged Cask Rye, Kentucky, [46%]

Interesting...it looks like Knob Creek Rye won the 'Best Rye Whiskey' title at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/soon-to-be-released-knob-creekr-rye-anointed-best-rye-whiskey-at-2012-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition-2012-04-03

That is meaningless garbage everybody wins at those things.

In all fairness, I will need to try it for myself before I make any firm judgments. However, I have not been a fan of Beam rye and I tend to deduct points for being NAS - "Patiently Aged" is not something I usually aspire to buy.

That is meaningless garbage everybody wins at those things.

Everybody gets a "medal"... not everybody wins.

That being said, I still don't put a heck of a lot of stock in who the winner is.

I might have been more impressed if Wild Turkey had entered the 101 Rye instead of the 81 and Knob Creek still won. But... we will never know.

They didn't exactly have the stiffest competition (though I am a fan of Baby Saz):

Best Rye, Double Gold Medal, Knob Creek Rye, Kentucky, [50%] $40.

Double Gold Medal, Reservoir Straight Rye Whiskey, Virginia, [50%] $80.

Double Gold Medal, Wild Turkey 81 Proof Rye, Rye, [40.5%] $23.

Gold Medal, Bulleit Rye, Kentucky, [45%] $28.

Gold Medal, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection New Cask Rye, Kentucky, [46%]

Silver Medal, Hudson Manhattan Rye, New York, [46%] $45. Importer: William Grant & Sons, USA - New York, NY

Silver Medal, Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey, Kentucky, [45%] $27.

Bronze Medal, Taos Lightning Lightning Rye, New Mexico, [45%] $57.

Bronze Medal, Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Aged Cask Rye, Kentucky, [46%]

What a disgustingly awful selection of whiskey.

• 1 month later...
What a disgustingly awful selection of whiskey.

Truthfully... I'm actually enjoying the Bulleit Rye. I'm a little puzzled by all of the people who said this stuff had a very "bourbon-y" taste to it.

I took one sip, and could not mistake it for anything but a Straight Rye.

As good as Sazerac? Not quite.

A good Rye nonetheless? In my humble opinion, Definitely

Truthfully... I'm actually enjoying the Bulleit Rye. I'm a little puzzled by all of the people who said this stuff had a very "bourbon-y" taste to it.

I saw a listing today on the Pa. Liqour Control Board website that lists a Beam bourbon selection set with Knob Creek Single barrel reserve, Knob Creek rye, Beam black and Devils cut. it say it is 750 size and runs 29.50. I am thinking it is 4-200ml bottles in a set. It is a special order with a purchase minimum of 4. Ohio has been getting more and more of these sets and oddball smaller size bottles. hopefully this shows up locally!

Thomas

I attended a whiskey event last night in DC and Fred Noe was there. I asked him when Knob Creek Rye would be available in the Washington, DC area and he told me "Around August." Just FYI I guess.

I attended a whiskey event last night in DC and Fred Noe was there. I asked him when Knob Creek Rye would be available in the Washington, DC area and he told me "Around August." Just FYI I guess.

Which event was that? Anyway, my guess it that it will be much less expensive in Maryland, which I hope he was referring to. DC prices are nuts.

The event was called "Whiskey Confidential" and it was hosted by Maker's Mark/Jim Beam. They had a bunch of their brands there--tequila, Irish whiskey, Laphroaig, Canadian Club, and a few others that I was completely ambivalent about. Fred was there and when he spoke he was pushing Devil's Cut.

Overall it was okay--got a little crowded so we left early to go to dinner.

Just tasted the Knob Creek Rye an hour ago at a local tasting. Pretty good, didn't blow me away, but enjoyable. I think I'd put it neck and neck with Bulleit Rye and then Bulleit wins by a nose or 10. But that was just one tasting. You know how things change. I'd be happy to try again sometime. I wish I was more of a Rye expert and had more in my memory banks to compare it with.

They said another 8 months or so for a real release.

STLb

Knob Creek rye is now out on the shelves in Ohio. I bought a bottle yesterday at a local store!

Thomas

Knob Creek rye is now out on the shelves in Ohio. I bought a bottle yesterday at a local store!

Thomas

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Tom....

Opened the Knob Creek last night and compared it to ri1. It definitely has more age and more oak. I like it due to the fact that its 100 proof and is 10.00 less a 750 than ri1 around here. I like the ri1 too but it is way overpriced. Knob Creek definitely has more age than WT or Rittenhouse, which I also tried in the tasting. Overall, I like this new offering, but then again I am a rye whiskey junkie to begin with!

Thomas

Sam Komlenic stopped by yesterday and he sampled my bottle of KC Rye. Even before he had any, he noticed that the bottle does not say "Kentucky Straight" anywhere on it- it is only bottled by Knob Creek Distilling (Beam). There is no mention of who distills it, or if it's even from Kentucky. Sam made mention that he even thought it had a few characteristics in common with LDI ryes, but stopped short of feeling confident it was from a different source other than Beam. I had not noticed the lack of "Kentucky Straight" on the labeling, but after he pointed it out, we got to wondering "What IS Knob Creek Rye?"

Sam Komlenic stopped by yesterday and he sampled my bottle of KC Rye. Even before he had any, he noticed that the bottle does not say "Kentucky Straight" anywhere on it- it is only bottled by Knob Creek Distilling (Beam). There is no mention of who distills it, or if it's even from Kentucky. Sam made mention that he even thought it had a few characteristics in common with LDI ryes, but stopped short of feeling confident it was from a different source other than Beam. I had not noticed the lack of "Kentucky Straight" on the labeling, but after he pointed it out, we got to wondering "What IS Knob Creek Rye?"

True, but now what about the lack of "Straight" ??

I've never had any Kentucky Gay Rye Whiskey, not that there's anything wrong with it...

True, but now what about the lack of "Straight" ??

Well, you don't have to label something straight even if it is. If it were under two years old, it would have to carry an age statement, which it doesn't, so I'm guessing they just decided not to use the label straight. The alternative would be that it has caramel coloring.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.