Knob Creek Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Reckon any will finally make its way into the Volunteer State? Still looking for my first bottle.

I don't think it's on the market anywhere yet. I think all of the comments here are from sample bottles. Maybe not. A few states may have it now. It will be everywhere soon.

It's been out in Ohio for at least 3 weeks!

Thomas

Right, and when it gets to Ohio and Michigan, it's about a month away in other places. Ohio and Michigan tend not to respect producer launch dates. Start to look for it in other places in July.

Right, and when it gets to Ohio and Michigan, it's about a month away in other places. Ohio and Michigan tend not to respect producer launch dates. Start to look for it in other places in July.

According to either Bernie Lubbers or Fred Noe, KCR moved into control states first because of the windows of time to get added to price lists. Already on the shelves in New Hampshire for a month now...

According to either Bernie Lubbers or Fred Noe, KCR moved into control states first because of the windows of time to get added to price lists. Already on the shelves in New Hampshire for a month now...

Yes, it's available here in the Great Control State of Oregon. I ignored a bottle of it last week.

Apparently no respect from New Hampshire or Oregon either. :rolleyes:

Jim Beam: The Rodney Dangerfield of distillers!

Based on my impressions, more like the JCPenney of distilleries.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle today. May give it a try while I grill some beef ribs. It's so hot I may not even have to light the grill.

Craig

No joke! It's super hot here today too. The small shopping plaza at the edge of town has a sign with a thermometer- 89F when I went past at 1PM today. As much as I love the KC Rye, I think I'm going to stick with the 80 proofers today- Pikesville Supreme Rye and Banker's Club Bourbon.

Still haven't seen it make an appearance here in NJ, and so I settled on some Bulleit to tide me over until then.

I found a bottle in a Virginia ABC store. If you're in VA, might want to drop by your local ABC and see if you can snag one.

• 4 weeks later...

It has finally reached NJ distributors and is going out to stores. Just appeared on the shelves of Shopper's Vineyard and some Shop-Rite Liquor stores.

It just hit Minnesota. I saw it for $38 which is more than the KCSB that was next to it... I think I'll shop around.

$31.99. Only bought it due to SmokingJoe's glowing reviews. It's not bad on first taste, not great, but not bad. Who knows, it may grow on me. (Beam has set a pretty low bar for Rye.)

My previous taste had been a trade show, so it's tough to really examine that way.

Edited by White Dog

$31.99. Only bought it due to SmokingJoe's glowing reviews. It's not bad on first taste, not great, but not bad. Who knows, it may grow on me. (Beam has set a pretty low bar for Rye.)

My previous taste had been a trade show, so it's tough to really examine that way.

Sure. Blame it on me... ;)

Did you get the similarity to WTR 101 that I did? I thought they were similar in their flavor profile. "Biting". BTW, your price was much better than mine. I would have been even more glowing had I saved the 7 bucks you did. :D I'm with you on the low bar thing. Every other Beam rye has just been poor IMO. Just, plain, B-O-R-I-N-G!!! Despite my question to you on the WTR 101 comparison earlier, I am sensing a really cool thing in general in the rye products...There is a nice "house style" differentiation developing between distilleries. BT has theirs, LDI has theirs, Barton (thank God for my customer in WI :D) has theirs, Beam "maybe" now has theirs (if not usurping WT's). My hope is that the DSP KY 1 Ritt BIB will continue the trend, and move away from such a "bourbony" profile. A lot of different and enjoyable ryes being brought to market. That's a good thing.

:toast:

I can see what you're saying in regards to the WT101 similarity in the mid-palate and finish. WT gives me more mint and ginger on the nose, and it's also sweeter. Knob gives me a bit more char, and that may be due to age? Both have the same mouthfeel of spice and weight. I can see putting them in the same camp, apart from LDI and DSP-354 Ritt. I would put Baby Saz in the same "biting" category.

And I'm glad you've gotten your hands on some Fleischmann's. That stuff is it's own animal. When I think of what it could be with higher proof...:bigeyes:

Also, I dig what you're saying about establishing some Rye house styles. It would be really welcome for us Rye lovers. And I can't wait to start comparing Ritt DSP-1! This is a good thing. Too bad Turkey is dropping the ball.

Hey WT, are you listening???

Distributor brought a bottle of the new Knob Creek Rye to a porch tasting the other evening. It's bottled at 100 proof but comes on like a much more powerful offering. The nose didn't offer any solid clues as to what this juice would taste like .. other than powerful. I would say the most dominant aroma once past the proof would be oak and grain with just a hint of sweetness. You do get the sense that this will be a complex drink. The first taste was on the order of "wow" .. and the wow was because of the power. It takes no time in introducing itself as a "big boy" rye as one of our tasters declared. It has some welcome complexities and a good, long finish. Having had a Sazerac 18 the day before, this was quite a departure. No demureness here. This offering would pair well with a pair of pearl handled 45's. Admittedly, it softened nicely with the addition of ice .. nothing more. When I added a bit of spring water .. it seemed anti-climatic. The porch consensus was that this is a darn good "big boy" rye .. and we'll all likely be adding these to our bars. It's ready to go on the shelf and will likely be there today or early next week.

This offering would pair well with a pair of pearl handled 45's.
Ha! Quoted for awesomeness. Welcome to the forums. Edited by LostBottle

HighHorse welcome aboard! Very nice first post! How about posting an introduction in the New to Straight Bourbon Forum? Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks p_elliot & thanks LostBottle! That's a nice welcome. I look forward to joining in the discussion. That's actually my first written review .. although our group of porch smokers and drinkers compare notes with the best. The bartender often warns newcomers that sit in with us to go easy because "these guys are professionals"! It ain't necessarily so .. but we get a kick out of it. Thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.