Knob Creek Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was at WhiskeyFest last night, and sneaked away from my table to do some quick sampling. Was really hoping to finally try this...only to have Fred Noe tell me, "We poured the last of it five minutes ago".

A swing and a miss!

Was at WhiskeyFest last night, and sneaked away from my table to do some quick sampling. Was really hoping to finally try this...only to have Fred Noe tell me, "We poured the last of it five minutes ago".

A swing and a miss!

The program listed a "Single Barrel Reserve Rye" to be poured during the VIP hour. I made it a point to stop by the booth early on, but they kept picking up the KCSB bourbon when I mentioned it. So I had a taste of the rye. Yeccccchhhhhhh! I'm sure it could be an acquired taste, and it had a definite rye flavor, but it really tasted exactly like the Beam Rye with a bit more wood. Tasted among the other VIP pours it was really disgusting.

It presented an off flavor that was really gross, but I could see people who don't know what good rye tastes like acquiring a taste for it.

It was mentioned to me by my favorite whiskey mongers it won't be out till September or so...a new Whistle Pig release may be coming too.

It was mentioned to me by my favorite whiskey mongers it won't be out till September or so...a new Whistle Pig release may be coming too.

I noticed Whistle Pig at a store here in Columbia SC for the first time the other day. The manager said it was a new product for his store.

I noticed Whistle Pig at a store here in Columbia SC for the first time the other day. The manager said it was a new product for his store.

You are correct Enoch. I intended to mean more Whistle Pig is being released. Whether its from their original acquisition of barrels or whether they have now acquired additional barrels...I don't know other than it was related their sourcing is secure and your report confirms more bottles are here.

I saw Dave Pickerell at WhiskeyFest, pouring WhistlePig. I had heard that the whole deal with he and his partner had blown up. He said they have changed their relationship, but Dave is still very much in the picture. I asked if they have an ongoing supply of the WhistlePig whiskey (a 100% rye from Canada) and he said that, yes, there is whiskey in the pipeline and it is now a contract production arrangement. He's also working on some other products made on this side of the border.

Also talked to Wes and Lincoln Henderson. Lincoln said they had some trouble convincing their money guy to invest in a distillery but they think they have that worked out and should have their own distillery in the works soon. He had to explain that when they built Woodford it took six months to get the place producing good whiskey. You can't build a distillery and start producing good whiskey the next day.

I saw Dave Pickerell at WhiskeyFest, pouring WhistlePig. I had heard that the whole deal with he and his partner had blown up. He said they have changed their relationship, but Dave is still very much in the picture.

So, is Raj out of the partnership?

Knob Creek says wide release is slated for July, though I guess it could take some time to make it through the channel to retail in some areas.

I saw Dave Pickerell at WhiskeyFest, pouring WhistlePig. I had heard that the whole deal with he and his partner had blown up. He said they have changed their relationship, but Dave is still very much in the picture. I asked if they have an ongoing supply of the WhistlePig whiskey (a 100% rye from Canada) and he said that, yes, there is whiskey in the pipeline and it is now a contract production arrangement. He's also working on some other products made on this side of the border.

Also talked to Wes and Lincoln Henderson. Lincoln said they had some trouble convincing their money guy to invest in a distillery but they think they have that worked out and should have their own distillery in the works soon. He had to explain that when they built Woodford it took six months to get the place producing good whiskey. You can't build a distillery and start producing good whiskey the next day.

I heard the same thing as well from someone very close to Dave. Would not be surprised to hear their relationship came to an end. I just hope it doesn't negatively impact WhistlePig as I am a huge fan. In my humble opinion....Jefferson's and Masterson's don't cut it. All 3 very different to my palate. As for local projects, I believe he is helping out KBD some. Looking forward to see what KBD comes out with. I know it's been a long time coming.

I wish Lincoln would release that cask strength Angel's Envy soon. I really liked it. :(

I just had a nice chat with a store owner...We were talking about rye availability when he mentioned that Ri1 has been discontinued. He said he's been trying to order more, but the distributor said that what's on the shelves is what's left and that the Ri1 stock is being diverted to a new product (i.e. KC Rye). I don't think anyone will shed a tear over this and the writing was on the wall, but it was interesting to hear anyway. Also doesn't give me high hopes for the Knob Creek...

Like very much but, true, not love. It has the same fault as all of the Beam ryes: timidity.

That's a shame because if there is anything a rye should NOT be is timid. That's what I like about the 4 year Willett (LDI) rye. I can sip GTS and WLW all day neat, but I have to add a splash of water to the Willett. That stuff socks you in the face, in a good way.

I just had a nice chat with a store owner...We were talking about rye availability when he mentioned that Ri1 has been discontinued. He said he's been trying to order more, but the distributor said that what's on the shelves is what's left and that the Ri1 stock is being diverted to a new product (i.e. KC Rye). I don't think anyone will shed a tear over this and the writing was on the wall, but it was interesting to hear anyway. Also doesn't give me high hopes for the Knob Creek...

Based on early reviews and comments from the couple of tasting events I wouldn't put too much stock in the fear of Knob Creek Rye just being a repackaged (ri)1.

(ri)1 was intended to be a poseur Rye. Lighter with less punch. Look at the early reviews of Knob Creek and you see terms like "Bold" , "Rich", "Spicy."

I understand that it is status quo around here to think negatively about all things Beam, but with a more powerful taste (apparently), higher proof and lower price point, I wouldn't be in a rush to dismiss KCR.

Based on early reviews and comments from the couple of tasting events I wouldn't put too much stock in the fear of Knob Creek Rye just being a repackaged (ri)1.

(ri)1 was intended to be a poseur Rye. Lighter with less punch. Look at the early reviews of Knob Creek and you see terms like "Bold" , "Rich", "Spicy."

I understand that it is status quo around here to think negatively about all things Beam, but with a more powerful taste (apparently), higher proof and lower price point, I wouldn't be in a rush to dismiss KCR.

I look forward to trying the KC Rye, as I was one who found the Ri1 lacking. But, I'd be careful to not make broad statements in regards to the board as a whole in regards to Beam, or any other topic, for that matter.

I look forward to trying the KC Rye, as I was one who found the Ri1 lacking. But, I'd be careful to not make broad statements in regards to the board as a whole in regards to Beam, or any other topic, for that matter.

Fair enough. And while I know there is almost nothing that is absolute, and perhaps it is because I tend to drift more towards Beam that I see more of it, but it doesn't seem to be an observation that is far from the mark.

But, point taken, I will try to use a less broad stroke in the future.

Fair enough. And while I know there is almost nothing that is absolute, and perhaps it is because I tend to drift more towards Beam that I see more of it, but it doesn't seem to be an observation that is far from the mark.

But, point taken, I will try to use a less broad stroke in the future.

I think that is the general outside impression of this board, as being full of Beam-haters. It was my impression as well when I was in lurker mode. However even though I'd still bet the majority fall into that category, it sure isn't as one-sided as I used to think.

Really? I've never thought that. Surely, there are some folks that don't like some (or even all) Beam products. . But, the majority? Hate Beam? Hmmm, I'm skeptical. :skep:

Really? I've never thought that. Surely, there are some folks that don't like some (or even all) Beam products. . But, the majority? Hate Beam? Hmmm, I'm skeptical. :skep:

Maybe if you take OGD out of the equation.:lol:

Maybe they are just more vocal..

Maybe if you take OGD out of the equation.:lol:

:D I'll tell ya what. I'll be sad if BT does in fact knock off OWA. But, I'd throw the proverbial s&!t fit if Beam were to contemplate whacking OGD 114!

As would we all, Joe. As would we all.

I can't even imagine the level hoarding!

I certainly don't hate Beam. OGD 114 is a regular pour for me. I enjoyed the BH I tried, but think it's too expensive for what it is. The 7yr they make for Costco is a steal. Everything else I've had from them is decent enough (though I haven't had JBW in years, so who knows), I just tend to prefer the stuff from other distilleries.

Interesting...it looks like Knob Creek Rye won the 'Best Rye Whiskey' title at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/soon-to-be-released-knob-creekr-rye-anointed-best-rye-whiskey-at-2012-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition-2012-04-03

Well, good for them. But the whole thing just sounds like a press release. :skep:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.