Knob Creek Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I agree with Robert. Innovation is good, but they need to start hitting it out of the park.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Just tasted the Knob Creek Rye an hour ago at a local tasting. Pretty good, didn't blow me away, but enjoyable. I think I'd put it neck and neck with Bulleit Rye and then Bulleit wins by a nose or 10. But that was just one tasting. You know how things change. I'd be happy to try again sometime. I wish I was more of a Rye expert and had more in my memory banks to compare it with.

They said another 8 months or so for a real release.

STLb

Just tasted the Knob Creek Rye an hour ago at a local tasting. Pretty good, didn't blow me away, but enjoyable. I think I'd put it neck and neck with Bulleit Rye and then Bulleit wins by a nose or 10. But that was just one tasting. You know how things change. I'd be happy to try again sometime. I wish I was more of a Rye expert and had more in my memory banks to compare it with.

They said another 8 months or so for a real release.

STLb

Thanks for the report.

• 1 month later...
Beam's attitude toward new product development has done a 180 in the last year, so anything is possible.

I picked up a bottle of the single barrel reserve bourbon a few weeks back and it's pretty good. Are these recent releases any hint of things to come?

Craig

Just in the sense that Beam seems committed to product innovation across all of its brands, much more so than they were a few years ago.

The label references "smoothness", so you know its good. :slappin:

Ya...I'll second that. I guess compared to JB Rye :shithappens: , anything could be considered smooth...even kiwi shoe polish, 160 proof.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess would be late spring.

Don't fret too much about things like age statements, or lack thereof, on prototype packaging. With Knob bourbon age stated at 9 years, and Beam being the producer most comitted to age statements, I suspect we will see an age statement on KC rye and it will be 6 to 9 years.

My guess would be late spring.

Don't fret too much about things like age statements, or lack thereof, on prototype packaging. With Knob bourbon age stated at 9 years, and Beam being the producer most comitted to age statements, I suspect we will see an age statement on KC rye and it will be 6 to 9 years.

I hope you're right. It looks like it's on the Alabama price list (p. 22) http://www.abc.alabama.gov/PDFs/ABCBoardPrices.pdf at $39.99, and they don't have an age statement listed. How accurate is the ABCB?

At forty bucks and NAS it sounds like (ri)1 in a shorter bottle. At least it's listed at 100 proof.

100 proof, looks like NAS.

This link has an image of the label: http://thewineandcheeseplace.blogspot.com/2011/11/bourbon-tasting.html

"Hand bottled in limited quantity for superior taste and smoothness"

As if I'm to believe that the method of bottling and the availability are going to make it taste different/better :skep:

And as if I believe I won't see this on every whiskey shelf in every liquor store in every town :slappin:

• 2 weeks later...
KCR just hit the Michigan supplemental list.

50 ml for $3

750 ml for $40

$40 for a 7-9(ish) year old 100 proof rye with CORN in it? I will definitely pick up a bottle.

There is a Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve Rye on the Whiskey List for Chicago WhiskyFest, poured only during the VIP hour. I'll be sure to hit it up and see if I can get any more info from them, and I'm sure I won't be the only one!

Nothing changes the fact this is still a JB product... given how Old Overcoat, JB Rye and especially Ri(1) have TASTED, I don't have high hopes for this.

I'll certainly try it - no doubt about it - but my expectations are terribly low for this to actually be good (or even any better than the other JB Rye products). My guess is it's just going to be a mid-shelf mixer that will be on every bar across the country, but nothing you'd want to sip on neat.

All that said, I do appreciate the 100 proof. Who knows, that could push it over the edge to being a pleasant experience.

$40 for a 7-9(ish) year old 100 proof rye with CORN in it? I will definitely pick up a bottle.

I have yet to see an age statement. The COLA label doesn't have one unless you consider "patiently aged" to be an age statement. :rolleyes:https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=11277001000242

Also interesting that the label refers to it as "rye whiskey" not "straight rye whiskey." From what I can tell the only difference would be that straight rye has to be at least 2 years old. (It's not used cooperage because that would be "whiskey distilled from rye mash".) I assume that it will be over 2 years old, :skep: so why not label it as Straight Rye?

So here we have a NAS rye that's going to sell for more than it's 9 y/o bourbon cousin. Thanks Beam you've always been a little overpriced, but age statements are one of the few things you had going for you.:hot:

At least it looks like it will be cheaper (and of course higher proof) than (ri)1 but I'm curious if there will be any other appreciable differences.

"Hand bottled" is kind of interesting, because regular Knob is not. Only automated wax dipper I've ever seen.

"Hand bottled" is kind of interesting, because regular Knob is not. Only automated wax dipper I've ever seen.

Does "hand bottled" have a real meaning? I'm envisioning someone with a funnel and ladle scooping it from a vat.

Craig

I'm pretty sure they'd have to hand bottle it, how else would they be able to get the (ri)1 out of the tall bottles into the new short bottles?:lol:

/yes I know they're not the same proof.

I'm pretty sure they'd have to hand bottle it, how else would they be able to get the (ri)1 out of the tall bottles into the new short bottles?:lol:

/yes I know they're not the same proof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.