Knob Creek Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm pretty sure they'd have to hand bottle it, how else would they be able to get the (ri)1 out of the tall bottles into the new short bottles?:lol:

/yes I know they're not the same proof.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :drink:

"Hand bottled" is a real thing, although I don't see how it makes the whiskey taste any better. Buffalo Trace's single barrel line is essentially manual. Heaven's Hill's line for EWSB is as well. So is the line for Woodford. Very small, very slow, lots of people.

Beam has a single barrel line for Knob Single Barrel. Even though the rye isn't single barrel, they may be using that line just because it's low volume.

And, yes, that's probably the easiest way to transfer it from the r1 bottles.

In seriousness, though, labels are usually a long-term proposition and Beam doesn't think small. What about when Knob Rye gets big enough to go onto the big boy line?

I don't even have to type up posts anymore as others seem to do it much more eloquently than I could.

I find the image of a RI(1) rebottling line highly amusing.

Nothing changes the fact this is still a JB product... given how Old Overcoat, JB Rye and especially Ri(1) have TASTED, I don't have high hopes for this.

I'll certainly try it - no doubt about it - but my expectations are terribly low for this to actually be good (or even any better than the other JB Rye products). My guess is it's just going to be a mid-shelf mixer that will be on every bar across the country, but nothing you'd want to sip on neat.

All that said, I do appreciate the 100 proof. Who knows, that could push it over the edge to being a pleasant experience.

First review is in - lots more pictures of the bottle there. Not really a great review in terms of depth - but they lost me at:

"At the same time, it has detectable, signature Beam whiskey notes."

http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2012/02/23/knob-creek-rye-review/

Wow, another brutally honest Bourbon Blog review. Tom pulls no punches, lemme tell ya.

I've tried it. I did (am doing right now, in fact) a side-by-side with (ri)1 and the Knob Rye tastes like (ri)1 with another two years in the barrel, i.e., it's noticeably richer. People who like the LDI ryes will find this much more bourbon-like. It's clearly rye, with a dry finish, a little mint, a little new mown hay, and a little lilac.

Again, none of this is a surprise, and to some I know this will be damning with faint praise, but of the four Beam ryes, Knob Rye is definitely the best. They haven't announced a suggested retail, but I predict it will be the same as Knob bourbon in your market, which in Chicago means about $25.

So if you don't like Beam ryes, you won't like this, but if you thought (ri)1 could be improved by uping the ABV (Knob is 50%), aging it longer, cutting the price by about half, and putting it in a more normal-looking bottle, voila, your wish has been granted.

Selected markets will have it in March and everyone should have it by July.

Since I like both of the KC offerings, I'll definitely be trying this one, as well.

I've never tried ri(1), only because I'm not willing to pay the price for it.

... but if you thought (ri)1 could be improved by uping the ABV (Knob is 50%), aging it longer, cutting the price by about half, ...

I'm trying to think if there's any whiskey that wouldn't be improved by increasing the proof, being longer aged, and halving the price. I can think of a few that don't fit the first two, but the third criterion always makes up for it.

I'm trying to think if there's any whiskey that wouldn't be improved by increasing the proof, being longer aged, and halving the price. I can think of a few that don't fit the first two, but the third criterion always makes up for it.

I know what you're getting at, but bad whiskey is never cheap enough.

I have never had ri(1) but have had Old Overholt (did not like it). Still looking forward to trying the new KC Rye. Heck at least it's 100 proof. I love Bulleit but it would be nice if it was bottled at 100 proof.

By the way, although the word 'straight' doesn't appear on the label, the note from Fred Noe that accompanied the sample refers to it as a straight rye and there is no reason to imagine that it would not be. It tastes very well aged. This isn't the first time a company has decided not to bother with the word 'straight,' assuming correctly that most people don't know what it means anyway.

Similarly, Fred has told me that regular Knob is, in fact, BIB but they don't choose to put it on the label because most people don't know what it means. I suspect that's true of the rye as well.

I've now tried it. It's certainly a "straight," just not labeled as such.

And it tastes just like a Beam Rye.:rolleyes:

I'm sitting here sipping on Knob Creek Rye and am enjoying it. Definitely a bit lighter on the palate than I like, but still good. I haven't had the ri, so I can't compare, but it should be another solid rye offering once it hits the market. I have to say that I still prefer Rittenhouse, especially at Rittenhouse's ridiculously low price point.

I'm not sure I would say RR is ridiculously low in price. I enjoyed it much better when it was $13.

I'm not sure I would say RR is ridiculously low in price. I enjoyed it much better when it was $13.

It's not available locally, but the person I trade with for it gets it for $14, so it's still ridiculously low priced in his area.

For what it's worth, Mark Gillespie in his latest Whiskey Cast rated KC Rye a 93.

For what it's worth, Mark Gillespie in his latest Whiskey Cast rated KC Rye a 93.

Interesting that he said it is a mix of 4 and 9 year old ryes. I wonder if they are going to maintain that sort of a profile going forward.

If you follow Mark and your palate aligns with his then it is worthy to know. Otherwise, numerical ratings are just a number. Really not much different than random bloggers offering whiskies of the year and other such platitudes.

• 2 weeks later...

Selected markets will have it in March and everyone should have it by July.

So does anybody have this on the shelves yet?

Not in Texas yet..guess it will be the summer before we see it. Although Cowdery did not love it and he isn't a Beam-hater, so I may wait for a few more reviews.

Like very much but, true, not love. It has the same fault as all of the Beam ryes: timidity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.