C. E.H. Taylor Tornado Surviving, bottle in allocation?

autiger23
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen more than a few bottles of the single barrel pop up at a couple places in NKY recently. Kind of strange; I guess a distributor was holding some back for some reason.

I'm seeing the same thing happen in South Carolina -- which is how I ended up with a Single Barrel instead of Tornado. It does seem like the distributors saw the Tornado flying off the shelves, and found some older bottles to send back out. They are still charging $70 for the single barrel though.

The singles are still on the shelves in many places in nashville. I think many stores didn't really think much of the tornado at first given the slow past sales of the single bbl

Well I bought a single barrel last night. Thought I was buying a Tornado but came home, opened it (duh and did I really need one more pour) and then realized it was a single barrel. Moral of the story...don't drink whiskey for 4 hours at Binny's with your SB friends and then go buying :rolleyes:. I had my designated driver and I guess I also needed a designated buyer :lol:.

But, along the lines of eye openers...If anyone is lamenting the passing of Eagle Rare 10 yr 101, you have it's clone. At least, the Frankfort ER iteration. Just did a side by side of the Tornado and the ER 10 101, and aside from some slightly more roundness in the ER, and a little more brashness in the Tornado, these whiskies taste almost identical to me. A very, very, good thing!

Interesting comparison, Joe. I guess I'll just have to do a side by side tonight!

You gotta love the SB expressions that give you no idea of what barrel it came from...... possibly all the single barrels taste identical so it don't much matter...:grin:

Any MN's seen this in state yet? Or is the feeling it's not going to make it this way? I know the others were a bit late in coming up this way.

B

I've only just started seeing the single barrel listed here and there, haven't verified them in the wild yet.

Yah, I've seen the sour mash and single barrel also, but have been waiting for the tornado.

In trying to raise my hopes, I sent a email or to Buffalo Trace last night. Early this morning I got a very prompt response stating that it is not distributed in MN. It is distributed in 18 states.

Following up on this I asked back hoping to find out which states it is currently in. 3 minutes later, I got a list back. I was floored by the response time. That really impressed me.

Pushing my luck, I forwarded the email to Mark Brown, mostly to give thanks in expressing my gratitude for such great service. But I also asked if some could get sent this way. Had to ask.

Less than I hour later, he actually replied, didn't expect that, and said he would forward it to the state guy. I have hopes that maybe we could get a little!

Keep your fingers crossed guys.

B

Mind posting the list of 18 states that do get it?

No problem.

From the first email.

Hello

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding our Colonel E. H. Taylor Tornado Surviving Bourbon. Unfortunately this product is not distributed in Minnesota. (It is currently only distributed in 18 states). Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Second Email

Sure. The states are listed below but all are pretty limited:

1) California

2) Arizona (only 1 case)

3) Florida

4) Georgia

5) Kentucky (we have the most available)

6) Indiana

7) Louisiana

8) Maryland

9) Montana

10) New Jersey

11) New Mexico (only 1 case)

12) New York

13) South Carolina

14) Tennessee

15) Texas

16) Washington State

17) Wyoming

18) Vermont

Looks like you made the cut

I'd be interested in hearing other users experience with the list accuracy. I know that it's probably not completely correct, because Illinois-Binny's, currently has the Tornado release.

B

No problem.

From the first email.

Hello

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding our Colonel E. H. Taylor Tornado Surviving Bourbon. Unfortunately this product is not distributed in Minnesota. (It is currently only distributed in 18 states). Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Second Email

1) California

2) Arizona (only 1 case)

3) Florida

4) Georgia

6) Indiana

7) Louisiana

8) Maryland

9) Montana

10) New Jersey

12) New York

13) South Carolina

14) Tennessee

15) Texas

16) Washington State

17) Wyoming

18) Vermont

I'd be interested in hearing other users experience with the list accuracy. I know that it's probably not completely correct, because Illinois-Binny's, currently has the Tornado release.

B

Not sure what they mean by "limited" but I've seen tons of it out here in CA. Bevmo is a big chain out here with 50+ stores in CA alone. I've been in 3 different ones in the last week and all have had 6+ bottles of the Tornado in stock at $75.

Odd that the list doesn't show Illinois. There were at least 5 bottles purchased at Binny's at our get together earlier this month

Odd that the list doesn't show Illinois. There were at least 5 bottles purchased at Binny's at our get together earlier this month

At least 5 were "intended" to be purchased....Thaaaad....:D But, I do know that the better part of one was consumed!

It comes in a case of 6. Guaranteed that what you see is all the store has unless it's a serious high volume store. Then maybe they have only a couple.

At least 5 were "intended" to be purchased....Thaaaad....:D But, I do know that the better part of one was consumed!

After enduring 2 weeks of tremors, cold sweats and wild hallucinations...enough was enough and I made it back down to Lost Pollito and Brophmonster's turf on Saturday to make up for my mistake. I once again had to come home and explain to the family that potted meats and beans would be on the menu for a while but OH YEAH I came home with the right bottle this time :grin:. It's already going too quick. I like it a lot.

No problem.

From the first email.

Hello

Second Email

1) California

2) Arizona (only 1 case)

3) Florida

4) Georgia

6) Indiana

7) Louisiana

8) Maryland

9) Montana

10) New Jersey

12) New York

13) South Carolina

14) Tennessee

15) Texas

16) Washington State

17) Wyoming

18) Vermont

B

There are still a gazillion bottles of Tornado in Texas. I see them everywhere, priced between $62-70. They're not exactly flying off the shelves--in fact, there are still a few Sour Mash and Single Barrel bottles languishing here too. If your state can get bottles shipped, Binny's and K&L still have them available on their respective websites.

No problem.

From the first email.

Hello

Second Email

1) California

2) Arizona (only 1 case)

3) Florida

4) Georgia

6) Indiana

7) Louisiana

8) Maryland

9) Montana

10) New Jersey

12) New York

13) South Carolina

14) Tennessee

15) Texas

16) Washington State

17) Wyoming

18) Vermont

B

I know that shipping is generally a available option, but my problem, and I'm sure its a problem of others, is the availability to be there to receive the package.

Shipping to my work address is out of the equation. So is shipping to the misses work address, but for other reasons :grin:

But, I have hopes that some will make the way here. If not, I'm sure a friend or two may be willing to help out otherwise.

B

This list isn't complete. :skep: I bought a few bottles in Wisconsin. I've also seen a couple of bars in Wisconsin that have this bourbon.

I've been meaning to branch out over there. Lacrosse is a short drive, and I figure there has to be something good hidden over there.

B

I know that shipping is generally a available option, but my problem, and I'm sure its a problem of others, is the availability to be there to receive the package.

Shipping to my work address is out of the equation. So is shipping to the misses work address, but for other reasons :grin:

You can ship to your local UPS store even if you dont rent a box there. I ship to my local UPS store and they sign for my boze packages, cost is a few bucks per box.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.