C. E.H. Taylor Tornado Surviving, bottle in allocation?

autiger23
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been meaning to branch out over there. Lacrosse is a short drive, and I figure there has to be something good hidden over there.

B

Good luck in LaCrosse, I have family there. Let me know if you find anywhere that stocks anything good. If I get over there in the near future I could def get down on a trade for some Surly cans.

I know that shipping is generally a available option, but my problem, and I'm sure its a problem of others, is the availability to be there to receive the package.

Shipping to my work address is out of the equation. So is shipping to the misses work address, but for other reasons :grin:

But, I have hopes that some will make the way here. If not, I'm sure a friend or two may be willing to help out otherwise.

B

Well, as luck would have it, there appears to be some in the state already, thanks to a PM by another member. And from word by email with the state rep, it appears that some more will be making it down my way in not too long of a time.

Thanks to all.

B

I have seen this in three different stores in SoCal. All are selling it for $70. I picked up a bottle.

I like it quite a bit, but I can also get most of the BTAC bottles around the same price. I am not sure it stands up to those.

Scott

I have seen this in three different stores in SoCal. All are selling it for $70. I picked up a bottle.

I like it quite a bit, but I can also get most of the BTAC bottles around the same price. I am not sure it stands up to those.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the mash-bill on this. seems very high rye but that could be due to excessive angels share. science geeks feel free to elaborate (bore, enlighten)

Does anyone know how many distinct batches were bottled? Because of the BIB statement I'm assuming some very small batches were dumped as the barrels qualified. Some of us are bringing bottles from around the country to compare in Bardstown. If different markets were allocated as the batches were bottled this could explain why the reviews seem to be so divergent from place to place.

So far sending samples to each other it seems like there are at least three different batches but we haven't included bottles from Texas or SoCal but we will later this week.

Anyone know the mash-bill on this. seems very high rye but that could be due to excessive angels share. science geeks feel free to elaborate (bore, enlighten)

It is the Buffalo Trace "low rye" mashbill #1 recipe. I haven't ever read anyone to know/reveal the exact proportion differences between the low rye and high rye recipes of #1 and #2.

No feathers ruffled.

In one of the Col. E.H. Taylor threads, it is stated by Chuck and others, I believe, that the new Taylors will all be #1 b/c that's Sazerac's own mashbill and the other one, #2, is only (expect for Bowman and the White Dog #2?) used for brands owned by Age International.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15460&page=15

Yes, I asked. It is not the special sour mash (that was a one-off) and it is BT rye-recipe bourbon mash bill number one.

Although BT makes the two rye-recipe bourbon mash bills, #1 is used for all brands Sazerac owns and #2 is used for all brands Age International owns, so if it's a Saz brand (as Taylor is) you can just about guarantee it will be #1, until we get to some of the micro-distilled stuff. This is standard BT rye bourbon #1 at 11 years.

I would like to know this too. Some bottles could be 9yrs old and some could be 11yrs old.

I like the bottle I've opened very much. I want to find another from a different source and see if there is a difference in flavor. Would like to mix the two and see what that marriage produces.

BIK Bottled in Kitchen

I just realized when I was looking at the Tornado and the SB that the color of the tax stamp is different between the two. The SB has a burgundy stamp and the tornado I have has a greyish stamp. I am just curious if the same tax stamp color is used on every batch? For example, do ALL tornado releases hvae the grey stamp or are there other colors. It's just a potential idea to identify which batch is which?

Grey here on two bottles one purchased in KY and the other in Chicago.

Grey on the Tornado and blue on the sour mash.

Also noticed the "tax label" matches the color of the writing on the can. So, my guess is that they'll all be the same color.

My tornado stamp is grey also. When I first read about the tornado I thought it was just a gimmick but tasting it I really like it.

Hidden

...from their original press release. They recanted but will not convince me...

Finally *in *late *2011, *those *same *barrels *were *tasted *and *the *bourbon *was *married *into *a *single *batch *dubbed *“Warehouse *C *Tornado *Surviving *Bourbon.â€

Would love to hear from those who compared various bottles at the Gazebo.

My bottle, picked up in Bardstown on the way home is f----ing awesome. There's this weird creaminess that I find reminds me of some ND OGD, though it's lighter. I dunno. I'm pretty well fried from my KY trip, but I'm glad I took a chance on this. I mean, I thought it was a dumb gimmick, but look, the chorus here is nearly unanimous. So this sort of trial by disaster may just be the thing we need in our pursuit of bourbon "perfection."

Maybe we should fill an old ship with bourbon barrels, sail for wherever the Titanic sank, and then deliberately sink the ship (or, I guess, throw them overboard, though that's less romantic). The barrels (that aren't destroyed in the controlled explosion to sink the ship) will float and eventually wash ashore, no? Might need GPS devices on the barrels to track their locations, so that pirates and scoundrels wouldn't steal them as they washed ashore, but we could end up with "Titanic Area Sinking Surviving Bourbon" that way.

Could be really, really good.

Also, who is this "Carlisle" bro on the faux tax stamp? He's on dusty tax stamps I have, so it's not just a Taylor thing. I tried googling, etc., but came up with nothing.

My bottle, picked up in Bardstown on the way home is f----ing awesome.

Good to hear. I think I mentioned, as we were wiping that store out of its inventory, being concerned that a new bottle wouldn't be as good as the one I picked up a couple of months ago. That one is fantastic and it sounds like another good one went in the bunker.

I like the idea of shipwreck-survivor bourbon, but think we should allow pirates to snag the barrels. Then, after we buy them back, they could be sold as shipwreck-survivor-pirate-recovered bourbon. How delicious would that be? :grin:

Also, who is this "Carlisle" bro on the faux tax stamp? He's on dusty tax stamps I have, so it's not just a Taylor thing. I tried googling, etc., but came up with nothing.

Here's the answer from a 2001 post:

Todd,

I would say that your bourbon was bottled in 1985 or later. The telling clue is the "tax stamp" green strip across the top of the bottle. If the bottle was bottled in 1979 there would be a tax stamp, green with the season and year the whiskey was made and the season and year the whiskey was bottled. There would also be a portrait of John Carlisle (sorry John, it is not Hamilton), the Kentuckian who was the head of the Treasury Department under Grover Cleveland when the bottled in Bond act was passed, on the top where the still is on your stamp. The stamp on your bottle was used after the Regan Adminstration de-regulated the industry in 1984 doing away with both the green and red tax stamps on whiskey. If I am not mistaken the law took effect in January 1985. The bottle on the other hand was probably made in 1979 but you have to remember that the Very Very Old Fitzgerald brand was a small volume brand the bottles purchased in bulk for a better price were often around for several years.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.