What wine are you drinking? Spring 2012

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2004 Livio Sassetti Pertimali BdM and 2000 Elio Grasso Case Mate Barolo; paired well with grilled veal chops and wild mushrooms.

The BdM has many years left to evolve; the barolo imho is at its peak - both wines were fabulous examples of what these classic wine regions are capable of producing. Well-balanced and long-lived, secondary and (in the case of the barolo) tertiary characteristics in abundance on both nose and palate, and a silky texture.

I tend to like Barolo better than BdM. We had a 1985 Marcarini Barolo Brunate earlier this year that was singing!

Did a little 2009 and 2010 Lapierre Morgon and some 09 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah.

I tend to like Barolo better than BdM. We had a 1985 Marcarini Barolo Brunate earlier this year that was singing!

I agree with you; a slight preference toward Barolo although I like both. I would say that in either case I generally favor and have had more luck with the more traditional producers when it comes to cellaring.

In my limited experience, although it may take longer for a more traditional producer's wines to reach their peak, they stay there longer; the decline is more gradual and graceful - you never seem to have to worry as much as to whether you let it go over the hill too far.

Damn, you guys drink some wines I can only dream of trying!

:grin: I know the feeling - I get the same feeling when reading about bourbon dusties...!

If you have a spot that stays reasonably cool and humid, you can build a little passive cellar if you want to buy a bottle or two to lay down for awhile. That is how I started - it grew slowly over the next 20 years. Before you know it, you'll have a nice little collection.

How were the morgons? I've got the 2009/2010 sleeping along with some of the 2009 cuvée MMIX. Are these starting to unwind or still need a bit of time?

Damn, you guys drink some wines I can only dream of trying!

I'm sure I'd dream of these wines if the labels were in Greek, because most of this thread is Greek to me.

I love wine, I have an idea of what to expect out of grapes and what grapes I generally prefer, but I'll be damned if I can keep track of names, estates, vintages, terroir, etc. I also am not in any kind of position to spend hundreds or even tens of dollars usually on a bottle that is consumed so quickly.

I'm mostly happy with what I can find in the $15-$25 range. I'm sure some of that pleasure might be spoiled if I knew what I was missing.

So hey, I'll just throw this out there to the wine snobs :grin:: Refer me to some sub-$20 bottles of anything. With red I prefer medium to light-bodied, but I like to taste the soil, and prefer a spice to oak in the heavier-bodied ones. With white, I'd love something round and refreshing with muted lemon and slightly creamy butter, but I hate oaky chardonnays.

But yeah, I'd love some affordable suggestions in any style! TIA!

I'm mostly happy with what I can find in the $15-$25 range. I'm sure some of that pleasure might be spoiled if I knew what I was missing.

So hey, I'll just throw this out there to the wine snobs :grin:: Refer me to some sub-$20 bottles of anything. With red I prefer medium to light-bodied, but I like to taste the soil, and prefer a spice to oak in the heavier-bodied ones. With white, I'd love something round and refreshing with muted lemon and slightly creamy butter, but I hate oaky chardonnays.

Sounds like Lapierre Morgon to me!

The 2010 was SLOW to open up, but super tasty later in the evening and on day 2 and 3. The 2009 was a beauty as well. When we did the 2010 Lapierre the first night, it was side by side with the 2010 Foillard Morgon Cote du Py and the Foillard was our favorite all night long.

I'm sure I'd dream of these wines if the labels were in Greek, because most of this thread is Greek to me.

I love wine, I have an idea of what to expect out of grapes and what grapes I generally prefer, but I'll be damned if I can keep track of names, estates, vintages, terroir, etc. I also am not in any kind of position to spend hundreds or even tens of dollars usually on a bottle that is consumed so quickly.

Come on, Aaron. You're a Bourbon snob of the highest order, and you comment eloquently on every bourbon from current OGD to PHC Cognac Finish to High West 21yr. This thread is titled "What are you drinking?" not "What's a value pour?":grin:

That said, the Selbach that I referenced is $19.99, and the Lapierre Morgon can be had for $25.99. Neither would break your bank.

Refer me to some sub-$20 bottles of anything. With red I prefer medium to light-bodied, but I like to taste the soil, and prefer a spice to oak in the heavier-bodied ones. With white, I'd love something round and refreshing with muted lemon and slightly creamy butter, but I hate oaky chardonnays.

Good wine is everywhere now - generally speaking, values can be found in the lesser known regions.

For reds, sounds like you would like Pinot Noirs and Sangiovese - both are sensitive to where they are grown (in wine geek speak, reflect their terroir), have an earthy note, and are (generally) light to medium bodied.

A good value in Pinot Noir that is usually widely available is A to Z Pinot Noir from Oregon - usually can be found for $15-$18. There are also some good affordable Pinots coming out of New Zealand and Patagonia.

For Sangiovese, a good value and widely available is Viticcio Chianti Classico or Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva - you can usually find these for $15-$20.

For whites, sounds like you should seek out unoaked Chardonnays - these are prevalent now. The creamy, buttery note you are looking for however is usually the result of a barrel-fermented Chardonnay that is put through malolactic fermentation - so depending on how long they stay in barrel, these wines can also pick up an oak-note. The closest thing I know of that matches the profile you are looking for is Chablis from Burgundy, but entry price here usually starts above $50.

On the value side, something a bit different is Torrontes, found in Argentina - Crios de Susana Balbo is pretty widely available. Pinot Gris (Oregon) or Pinot Grigio (Italy) can all be found for less than $20 - here you'll get the lemon, but not the butter.

I love Cabernet Sauvignon. Typically I like them bold with dark fruit and oak and cedar notes. Unfortunately Cabs, especially Napa Cabs, can be pricey. Are there any specific "new world" producers of Cabernet Sauvignon along these lines? Or is the terroir too different from Napa?

Napa Cab is always going to be expensive, but I also haven't found any other regions that will give you the same flavor profiles as a good substitute. This is why I tend to focus on regions like Rhone, Loire, Italy, and Bordeaux (which is getting tricky for values). And, honestly, one of the reasons I'm getting into Bourbon.

I've found quite a few Pinots I enjoy around $25, my company also buys/sells wine collections so we get lots of odds/ends from those that usually keep my curiosity occupied.

That said, I got an email today for a bottle of 1970 Chateau Palmer for $280, I'm quite tempted. One of the best wines I've ever had.

Wine. I almost never drink it, but I like it. Given an interest in whisky and beer, there is little room for wine, but also one's taste develops on a certain vector that seems different than for any wine. This must be due to the cereal basis of whisky and beer. It's the grape and the malt, do the twain really meet...?

But here's some wine I like. I like Champagne and good sparklers anywhere, like Prosecco, say, or good Napa stuff.

I like Beaujolais: Fleurie, Morgon, and Brouilly, say, or any of it if not too jammy or raw.

I like (good) California Cabernet Sauvignon. Merlot (i.e., where that grape predominates) not so much.

I like Alsace Riesling and Sylvaner.

I like ice wine from Ontario.

I like good Chablis, but little Cal Chard which I find too buttery and appley, or maybe I haven't had the good stuff.

Don't like Sauvignon Blanc, French, N.Z. or any other kind, that strange gooseberry/cat's pee taste puts me off, I never understood that taste. (Some hops taste like that by the way).

And so, I do like wine, but rarely drink it...

Gary

Napa Cab is always going to be expensive, but I also haven't found any other regions that will give you the same flavor profiles as a good substitute. This is why I tend to focus on regions like Rhone, Loire, Italy, and Bordeaux (which is getting tricky for values). And, honestly, one of the reasons I'm getting into Bourbon.

I've found quite a few Pinots I enjoy around $25, my company also buys/sells wine collections so we get lots of odds/ends from those that usually keep my curiosity occupied.

That said, I got an email today for a bottle of 1970 Chateau Palmer for $280, I'm quite tempted. One of the best wines I've ever had.

Sounds like a fun job!

My grandfather has a 1970 Lafite that he will probably never open. Who knows if it's even still good!

I love Cabernet Sauvignon. Typically I like them bold with dark fruit and oak and cedar notes. Unfortunately Cabs, especially Napa Cabs, can be pricey. Are there any specific "new world" producers of Cabernet Sauvignon along these lines? Or is the terroir too different from Napa?

You can still get good values with Chilean or Washington State cabernet - but the best of these are not priced too much differently than Napa these days. Argentinian Malbec can also have that ripe, dark fruit, oak and cedar profile ...

Wine was my first love and still is. My introduction to the bourbon world a few years ago was a fun one as its so much more affordable than wine. $100 bottles of wine are drained in one sitting while a good bottle of bourbon can last for months.

CA wine is great and it's styles vary widely. I trend towards Cabernet from The Santa Cruz mountains with a few producers from Sonoma and Napa that make wines on the classical side of the spectrum. Classified BDX is ridiculous at this point, backfilling on vintages like 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2008 is a smart thing to do, so much more affordable than ripe trophy vintages. Pinot from Burgundy and the Sonoma coast is my weak spot and makes up over 50% of my cellar.

For true value and world class wines, look to savigny le beaune in Burgundy, cru Beaujolais and German Riesling. I'm convinced that the sweet and dry whites from the Mosel and nahe are some of the best white wines in the world. Plus they are much more affordable than white burg or Cali chard.

For suds, grower champagne is my focus but some of this big house stuff can be great. 02 Bollinger GA is one for the ages, classic stuff. Some of my grower favorites are Chiquet, Gimonnet and Billiot.

For my Sarah fix there are some great values from cool spots in norther Cali. Haven't found any Grenache that seems to work from Ca, for that I go to the Rhone. Still very fair when compared to Burgundy or BDX but getting more expensive. Some of my memorable wine moments always seem to include aged beaucastel or vieux telegraphe.

Wine was my first love and still is. My introduction to the bourbon world a few years ago was a fun one as its so much more affordable than wine. $100 bottles of wine are drained in one sitting while a good bottle of bourbon can last for months.

CA wine is great and it's styles vary widely. I trend towards Cabernet from The Santa Cruz mountains with a few producers from Sonoma and Napa that make wines on the classical side of the spectrum. Classified BDX is ridiculous at this point, backfilling on vintages like 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2008 is a smart thing to do, so much more affordable than ripe trophy vintages. Pinot from Burgundy and the Sonoma coast is my weak spot and makes up over 50% of my cellar.

For true value and world class wines, look to savigny le beaune in Burgundy, cru Beaujolais and German Riesling. I'm convinced that the sweet and dry whites from the Mosel and nahe are some of the best white wines in the world. Plus they are much more affordable than white burg or Cali chard.

For suds, grower champagne is my focus but some of this big house stuff can be great. 02 Bollinger GA is one for the ages, classic stuff. Some of my grower favorites are Chiquet, Gimonnet and Billiot.

For my Sarah fix there are some great values from cool spots in norther Cali. Haven't found any Grenache that seems to work from Ca, for that I go to the Rhone. Still very fair when compared to Burgundy or BDX but getting more expensive. Some of my memorable wine moments always seem to include aged beaucastel or vieux telegraphe.

I'd like to echo Tico's comments on German Riesling and grower bubbles! German Riesling is ridiculously cheap, and if American's can get past the sugar bias, they'll find what they're missing. (Unfortunately, Austrian Riesling, which is close to my heart, is not underpriced.)

And yes, Billiot and Gimmonet are true Champagne estates. As are Vilmart and Bara.

When discussing Domestic regions, I tend to recommend producers, rather than region. Outside of Zinfandel, I don't feel that other grapes really show terroir on the west coast. Is mountain grown Napa cab distinct from valley floor, yes, but we could also pour Alexander Valley cabs that would fool you in a blind tasting. And does Pinot Noir from Carneros differ from Russian River, mostly, but producer practices make for lots of variability.

For California, instead of regions I tend to just recommend producers that make wines in a style that speak to my palate. I prefer higher acid, minerally whites, and I prefer reds to have a certain lift, and frankly, to not be picked at 28 brix. Sinskey, Mt. Eden, Folk Machine/Ghostwriter, Navarro, Kathy Corison, Arnot-Roberts, and Smith-Madrone are big favorites.

Tico, you should check out The Third Man from Gramercy Cellars. 50 Grenache, 30 Syrah, 20 Mouvedre. Awesome juice. I really liked the Rhone stuff from Walla Walla when I was there last month. Bordeaux varietals not so much.

Polished off a bottle of 2002 gaston chiquet special club. Porbably my favorite special club of 2002 right behind the gimonnet. Really special stuff, chalk full of racy acid and minerals.

Speaking of this, Woodland Hills Wine co is throwing a killer sale on this and some others champers for mothers day, great prices on the chiquet and vilmart.

http://www.whwc.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WHWC-WHWC-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewSearch-CategorySearch?CategoryName=root-WhatsNew-WhatsNew37

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: They're basically giving away Vilmart.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: They're basically giving away Vilmart.

I agree, they gave away a half case to me :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.