What wine are you drinking? Spring 2012

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Polished off a bottle of 10' Copain Tous Ensemble Chard. It would be hard to find a better CA chard for $20, IMO. 50% malo with zero new oak, super fresh and vibrant.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/05/top-10-wines-under-10/?intcmp=features

Top 10 wines under $10

Published July 10, 2012

Gayo

I tend to drink value wines...say $20 and under...usually 15 and under.

Can anyone pair a recommended mid priced wine...>20 and with a recommended value counterpart to demonstate

what the extra $cost brings to the glass?

I think volume drives price and if the volume is excellent quality, it may be just as good as the pricier bottle. Thoughts?

For example, most shelves are over flowing with Australian, South American and California wines. Some are better than

others but many of these value priced wines stand up very well in comparison to more expensive.

Edited by Jono

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/05/top-10-wines-under-10/?intcmp=features

Top 10 wines under $10

Published July 10, 2012

Gayo

I tend to drink value wines...say $20 and under...usually 15 and under.

Can anyone pair a recommended mid priced wine...>20 and with a recommended value counterpart to demonstate

what the extra $cost brings to the glass?

I think volume drives price and if the volume is excellent quality, it may be just as good as the pricier bottle. Thoughts?

For example, most shelves are over flowing with Australian, South American and California wines. Some are better than

others but many of these value priced wines stand up very well in comparison to more expensive.

Jono, I could go on and on in response to your post, but I'll try to keep it brief.

I don't know your palate, nor your grape preferences, but here's what I'll say.

If you like Sauvignon Blanc, the Chileans are doing it as well as anyone these days, and for half of what you're gonna pay from most other countries.

If you insist on drinking Pinot Noir under $20, California will outperform Oregon for the dollar, and Chile also has many up and comers in this price point.

Cab/Merlot or Chard? Eh. The whole world is churning out look-alike/taste-alike wines. I'm too jaded to care anymore.

But do you want real value, outside of categories that Americans cling to?

Then drink German Riesling, as the acidity from good producers like Selbach will soar above cheaper American versions. Or drink Austrian Gruner, as there are more good versions under $20 than there are bad versions. For both of these categories stick with the importer Terry Theise and you can't go wrong.

Sicily is undervalued, and producers like LiVeli are punching above their weight, with most skus under $20. LiVeli has become the OGD of Italy, IMHO.

Also, look to the reds and whites of the Roussillon region of France, near the Spanish boader. Not Languedoc, mind you, which can be more sporadic but Roussillon. Fantastic versions using mostly Rhone varieties that are sold for a song.

And I'll always love Muscadet, but I love seafood, so why not?

Edited by White Dog

A gift from Amy, 2006 Papa Luna Calatayud.

Having some with guacamole and Mexican chips while getting the grill heated up for steaks.

This wine will go very good with the Porterhouses.

Here's what I found about it,...

The 2006 Papa Luna is aged for five months in French and American oak. It will evolve for two to three years and can be enjoyed now as well as over the next six to eight years. Expect a hedonistic flavor pop from this Papa Luna wine made from four varietals known for yielding wines with punch, spice and character. It is produced in the Calatayud region located northeast of Madrid in the Zaragoza province which is known for its arid, moon-like terrain. Perhaps the origin of the name "Papa Luna" (Father Moon).

Calatayud sits in the lowlands of Aragon, nestled between the eastern reaches of the Guadarrama range and the northern tip of the Cuenca foothills. Dominated by successful co-operative growers with considerable export power, this area is responsible for many of the highly drinkable Spanish table reds available in the US, crafted from grapes both native and international in origin. It received DO status in 1990.

Just cracked open a 2008 Duckhorn "Decoy" Cabernet Sauvignon.

Not bad. Not great. But it'll work.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in the mood for wine last night, so I popped open a 2004 Chateau Nenin Pomerol. It was really a pretty average right bank Bordeaux... oaky, not a lot of fruit, but not too tannic either. I'm going to finish the rest of the bottle with dinner tonight, so hopefully it will be good on day 2.

I was in the mood for wine last night, so I popped open a 2004 Chateau Nenin Pomerol. It was really a pretty average right bank Bordeaux... oaky, not a lot of fruit, but not too tannic either. I'm going to finish the rest of the bottle with dinner tonight, so hopefully it will be good on day 2.

I've found your description (not much fruit, light tannin) to be my experience with Bordeaux 2004 - I'm sitting on a few to see how they are at 10 years. Seems like in retrospect these should have been early drinkers; however they could just be in a dumb phase but I don't hold out much hope ...

2008 Craggy Range Pinot Noir Te Muna Road Vineyard - a very nice New Zealand Pinot showing violet/floral nose, dense black cherry and earth/mushroom notes from the mid-palate through to the finish. Paired nicely with a soy-marinated grilled salmon.

NZ Pinot can be a great QPR, but prices have come up some and they have been crowded out a bit in the US market - harder to find than it was just a few years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.