What wine are you drinking? Spring 2012

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1988 Silver Oak Napa Cab and 1988 Vichon Napa Cab with burgers last night. The Vichon seemed to be in better shape than the SO but both were enjoyable.

The SO, IMO, never aged as gracefully as many other Ca. cabs. The 1988 Alex. was one of my least favorites given it had some out of character vegatative overtones. Typically the Napa was the better of the two for aging. Just had an 96 Napa that was good..

The SO, IMO, never aged as gracefully as many other Ca. cabs. The 1988 Alex. was one of my least favorites given it had some out of character vegatative overtones. Typically the Napa was the better of the two for aging. Just had an 96 Napa that was good..

Yeah, this SO was a drink five years ago. The 88 and 89 SO, both AV and Napa were lighter due to the vintage. The Mid 80's stuff 84-87 were all solid, even the AV.

Dinner at the in laws again. Tonight we did a 1994 Williams Selyem RRV Pinot and a bottle of 1995 Williams Selyem Olivet Lane Pinot.

Both were still super fresh, the Olivet is drinking great with no signs of fading.

Probably one of the weakest of the past decade next to 2002.

Sorry for the delay in reply Clavius, have been traveling and just catching up now. Tico is right, 2007 was comparable generally to 2002 quality. Of recent stuff you might still find in stores, 2005, and 2008 thru 2010 (as they become available) should all be pretty good values in the non-classified growths.

Generally you can find this type of vintage information on the web. Here is one that is pretty complete and detailed - just like bourbon, other reviewers will have different views, but as a general guide it is helpful:

http://www.erobertparker.com/info/vintagechart.pdf

Dinner at the in laws again. Tonight we did a 1994 Williams Selyem RRV Pinot and a bottle of 1995 Williams Selyem Olivet Lane Pinot.

Both were still super fresh, the Olivet is drinking great with no signs of fading.

William Selyem is great stuff! Not surprised they are holding up - a treat to have them with some bottle age ...

I don't drink wine very much, a bit when I'm out at a nice dinner. When I got home though I opened a Chablis. I find it a little oaky for me, a little "hot" from the wood although otherwise rounded and pleasant with good mineral notes and a sort of apple-like background. It reminds me of some Chards from CA but not as buttery which I think is because American oak is different to what they use in France. No warm vanillin-butter in this one, you guys know what I mean.

I'm not a "wine drinker" though, I like beer and whiskey much more.

Gary

I don't drink wine very much, a bit when I'm out at a nice dinner. When I got home though I opened a Chablis. I find it a little oaky for me, a little "hot" from the wood although otherwise rounded and pleasant with good mineral notes and a sort of apple-like background. It reminds me of some Chards from CA but not as buttery which I think is because American oak is different to what they use in France. No warm vanillin-butter in this one, you guys know what I mean.

I'm not a "wine drinker" though, I like beer and whiskey much more.

Gary

Gary, what Chablis were you drinking? Traditionally, they are fermented and aged in stainless steel ... although some may do barrel fermentation and barrel aging, that is more typical of chardonnay from other Burgundy regions. Your tasting notes are spot on - usually Chablis does not go through malolactic fermentation, preserving that bright acidity, mineral, apple/lemon note and avoiding the buttery tone.

The 'oaky' note is surprising but not unheard of - some Chablis producers might be experimenting with barrel fermentation/aging.

Torrentes (sp) and whites from Chile. Having traveled there and Argentina this past spring, it's been our main wines of the moment.

I had a really tasty wine last night that I was referred to by asking for something similar to Lapierre Morgan (since Binny's is out of that stuff). But my wife threw out the bottle before I could write it down, and for the life of me I cannot remember what the heck it was. This is my problem with wine. I know what the label looks like, and I intend to seek it out again because it was of great quality for being in the $15 range.

Moulin a Vents? Something Marie Chefferente? What is it about wine names that I just can't keep in my head?

I had a really tasty wine last night that I was referred to by asking for something similar to Lapierre Morgan (since Binny's is out of that stuff). But my wife threw out the bottle before I could write it down, and for the life of me I cannot remember what the heck it was. This is my problem with wine. I know what the label looks like, and I intend to seek it out again because it was of great quality for being in the $15 range.

Moulin a Vents? Something Marie Chefferente? What is it about wine names that I just can't keep in my head?

Moulin-a-Vent a Cru Beaujolais from the gamey grape which is often quite tasty and in some years subs well as a poor mans Burgundy. It can be quite tasty and my favorite of the Cru's. Aged in oak and takes to some long term ageing. I'm thinking the producer was Pierre-Marie Chermette.

Moulin-a-Vent a Cru Beaujolais from the gamey grape which is often quite tasty and in some years subs well as a poor mans Burgundy. It can be quite tasty and my favorite of the Cru's. Aged in oak and takes to some long term ageing. I'm thinking the producer was Pierre-Marie Chermette.

And I know it's the Gamay grape not the gamey grape though I have had a few of the latter too :grin:. And how about, it is often quite tasty versus it can be quite tasty :rolleyes:. Note to self...don't post from your iphone while in your car in the bright sunshine even if your parked.

Opened a 1986 Groth Cab that held up very well. Great fruit, moth feel and as one would suspect no tannin. Sadly the age did not do anything for the "green pepper' nuances the Groth and other Oakville Crossroad vineyards seem to have at times.....

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but Morgon (of the Beaujolais Crus Thad mentioned) always seems the most burgundy-like to me.

Sampled recently an Oregon Pinot Blanc, quite good but there was a touch of appley flavor I didn't like. But otherwise good and quite complex flavors for a reasonable price.

Gary

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but Morgon (of the Beaujolais Crus Thad mentioned) always seems the most burgundy-like to me.

A favorite of my wife's.

Sampled recently an Oregon Pinot Blanc, quite good but there was a touch of appley flavor I didn't like. But otherwise good and quite complex flavors for a reasonable price.

Really? Which one?

Opened a 1986 Groth Cab that held up very well. Great fruit, moth feel and as one would suspect no tannin. Sadly the age did not do anything for the "green pepper' nuances the Groth and other Oakville Crossroad vineyards seem to have at times.....

Silver Oak Bonny's is right around the corner from there and no matter the year I always got a little bit of green from these wines of the 80's.

Tonight we're doing 2010 Pelle Menetou Salon Clos Blanchais (favorite house white) and 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco. I'm sure we'll get into a few other things as well.

Finished a rather pleasing bottle of Gnarly Head Authentic Red

http://cheapwineratings.com/2012/01/30/gnarly-head-authentic-red/

Not expensive, picked it up at the grocery store, similar to Apothic Red.

Nice blend of various CA varietals that come together for an appealing

wine that won't break the bank. The attached review is pretty spot on from my tasting.

Boutari from Greece, one of their whites. Excellent and finely balanced.

Gary

Celebrated an early Father's Day with a 2002 Staglin 20th Anniversary Cab ... was an excellent pairing with the bone-in ribeye. Tannin is largely resolved, but still dense fruit with balancing acidity. A fantastic bottle.

I'm at work drinking some 2009 Inkblot. It's a Cabernet Franc from Lodi by Michael-David and it is amazing. If I had the money to blow I would certainly bunker a case of it. Great stuff!

2004 Crianza de Restia Ribera del Duero - A very nice red for the price. 2011 Top 100. Went well with the bacon wrap tenderloins and cheddar white grits. It is somewhat fruit forward, but finishes of tobacco and wood. I think I'm going to go back and buy the rest of them.

• 2 weeks later...

opened a rather old 2006 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch (Carneros) Chardonnay and it was quite good. Even my wife liked it. No butter (malolactic). Crisp, grassy, lemons; my favorite taste of California Chardonnay. lots of 89 to low 90's on cellar tracker.

Got engaged Saturday, opened a bottle of 2003 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier d'Or 1er Cru to enjoy right after she said yes. We knocked the bottle out while she was making phone calls. Went to dinner that night at the Capital Grille and opened one of our 2006 Chateau Teyssier Le Carre St. Emillion Grand Cru. Both were great, with the highlight being the Le Carre. What a blend of Merlot and Franc. Well balanced, black fruits and a great finish of Oak. Great wines for a great evening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.