What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Based on what you just typed, it looks like you’re all thumbs, already!  🤣🤣

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Yesh was waiting to pick up the kiddo from jiu jitsu and was rush posting. You guys got me.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yesh was waiting to pick up the kiddo from jiu jitsu and was rush posting. You guys got me.

It’s all good John. FWIW, I’ve never speled anything rong, or had no grammatical errors of whatsoever at all of any kind. 🤣

Biba! Joe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s all good John. FWIW, I’ve never speled anything rong, or had no grammatical errors of whatsoever at all of any kind. 🤣

Biba! Joe

Jeebus if I didn’t spell anything wrong I’d have 0 posts around here.  I enjoyed the ribbing. Dry January is over I’ll try to find something worth posting in the next few days. 

• I like it 1

Got this GINORMOUS pair of ribs and a 4lb. chuck roast all seasoned up and ready for the smoker in the morning.

20220219_124854.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new toy this weekend (deeply discounted) and did an initial burn in and seasoning and since it was already going I HAD to cook something. Only thing we had were a few pork chops and a spaghetti squash. This grill/smoker holds temp pretty much exact using charcoal and wood. Even has a freaking wifi app!

20220227_170912.jpg

Screenshot_20220227-171334_Masterbuilt.jpg

20220227_192528.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Got my new toy this weekend (deeply discounted) and did an initial burn in and seasoning and since it was already going I HAD to cook something. Only thing we had were a few pork chops and a spaghetti squash. This grill/smoker holds temp pretty much exact using charcoal and wood. Even has a freaking wifi app!

20220227_170912.jpg

Screenshot_20220227-171334_Masterbuilt.jpg

20220227_192528.jpg

I would be very interested in your experience with that over the next 6 to 12 months.  I almost got one instead of my Traeger but the initial builds seemed to be riddled with quality control issues based on reviews. That scared me away. 

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I would be very interested in your experience with that over the next 6 to 12 months.  I almost got one instead of my Traeger but the initial builds seemed to be riddled with quality control issues based on reviews. That scared me away. 

I saw a lot of those reviews, too. This one is a newer design based on the burn grate. Got it for $285 so was worth the gamble even if I have to replace a few things. It ran flawless on first startup and cook. Temp is extremely steady and very fast. It went to 250 in minutes and jumped from 250 to 600 in only a few mins as well.

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

Put a brisket on last night around 10 pm.  Still in the stall this morning. First time trying an injection and also wrapping in butcher paper rather than foil.  We will see how this turns out.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Put a brisket on last night around 10 pm.  Still in the stall this morning. First time trying an injection and also wrapping in butcher paper rather than foil.  We will see how this turns out.

Home or RV Jeff? 

Biba! Joe

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Home or RV Jeff? 

Biba! Joe

Home. RV resort opens on April 15. This turned out really well.  Using the butcher paper  was a win for me. 

4A2BD490-A0F8-4B62-B1B3-A801085107F7.jpeg

• I like it 4

47 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Home. RV resort opens on April 15. This turned out really well.  Using the butcher paper  was a win for me. 

4A2BD490-A0F8-4B62-B1B3-A801085107F7.jpeg

Looks nice.  I’ve never used butcher paper, either.  Just foil.  I’m curious to try it.  TComp here on SB is really good on the smoker.  He always does a couple of pork butts when SB meets in Bardstown for Spring Sampler, and the cookout on Friday night. They are fabulous.  He was telling me a couple weeks ago that he recently tried a method where he sprays PAM cooking oil on the paper inside, then after wrapping, gives a spray on the outside during last couple hours.  He really liked the result.  

I’m going to get a roll of butcher, but there something in my DNA that tells me one should keep paper away from fire…🤪

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Looks nice.  I’ve never used butcher paper, either.  Just foil.  I’m curious to try it.  TComp here on SB is really good on the smoker.  He always does a couple of pork butts when SB meets in Bardstown for Spring Sampler, and the cookout on Friday night. They are fabulous.  He was telling me a couple weeks ago that he recently tried a method where he sprays PAM cooking oil on the paper inside, then after wrapping, gives a spray on the outside during last couple hours.  He really liked the result.  

I’m going to get a roll of butcher, but there something in my DNA that tells me one should keep paper away from fire…🤪

Get the butcher paper.

Trust me on this.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Get the butcher paper.

Trust me on this.

I will, then!  I’ve seen butcher paper that is white, and some that appears to be pink (like SS55’s).  Is there a difference, besides color?

Edited by smokinjoe

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I will, then!  I’ve seen butcher paper that is white, and some that appears to be pink (like SS55’s).  Is there a difference, besides color?

Hell if I know,  but it seems like everyone uses it, so that's what I use.

I seldom wrap, but I've used it on brisket, and 3-2-1 ribs, with great results, so I'm a believer.

It's also fun to serve up sliced brisket on the paper.

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I got a roll of pink unbacked paper from Amazon. I saw this on a YouTube video by meat church. I will continue to use it instead of foil.  

• I like it 1

Smoked a pork shank roast and a spatchcock chicken today. Apple wood smoke at 250 with spice/citrus rub and bourbon and apple cider vinegar spritz for the pork.  The pork took a crazy long time, I think because of the thick layer of skin and fat. I probably should have trimmed it. I finally wrapped it (in foil..didn't have paper) and cranked the heat up to 300 to get it thru the stall and up to 200ish.

We had the chicken for dinner. It was probably the best chicken I've ever done. The pork is all cubed up in it's own juice with lots of bourbon I'm sure from spritzing. It's pretty tasty as well.

20220306_120628.jpg

20220306_164343.jpg

20220306_191430.jpg

20220306_193246.jpg

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

PAM

Does she have a sister?

I use the peach/pink paper. I don’t know if it improves my bark but the professionals use it…

the paper definitely helps my baby backs in the 3:2:1 method 

• I like it 1

On 3/6/2022 at 7:31 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

I get an almost physical pain each time I hear/read someone talking about being in a long stall. It’s by far the worst part about doing larger cuts. My last brisket stalled for basically 6 hours. The stress it adds in not knowing if you’ll have the meat ready for a planned meal is terrible. I’ve become a fan of starting several hours early, and then resting the meat in coolers for a few hours if needed. Never have I said “I wish I hadn’t rested that meat for so long before serving it”

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I get an almost physical pain each time I hear/read someone talking about being in a long stall. It’s by far the worst part about doing larger cuts. My last brisket stalled for basically 6 hours. The stress it adds in not knowing if you’ll have the meat ready for a planned meal is terrible. I’ve become a fan of starting several hours early, and then resting the meat in coolers for a few hours if needed. Never have I said “I wish I hadn’t rested that meat for so long before serving it”

This is sound advice!  Amen.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Yes, the stall is a major issue so I just try to plan for it in my cook time.  The first time I encountered a stall was cooking a 15 lb pork butt. I had planned on an hour per pound but it turned out to need more like 1.5 h per lb.  It was a very long cook.  I normally do my big pieces (over 10 lbs) overnight with either an 8 pm or 10 pm start time.   this usually gives me a late morning or early afternoon finish, then I wrap and let rest in a cooler until time to serve.

The other issue is that it is not about cooking time but temperature.  I take pork to 190 and brisket to 205.  It always amazes me that when I temp a brisket at 190, it is like shoe leather but just slides right in at 205.