What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Brining chicken wings today for a smoke tomorrow. Pics coming tomorrow. 

Prost!!  Phil 

On 9/21/2023 at 9:11 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not smoked, but grilled.   I bought a bunch of skirt steak, when it went on sale at Harris Tetter a couple months ago.   I'm experimenting with it to see if I can make them "tailgate worthy"*

Mrs. Skinsfan and I agreed, that these are definitely worthy😉

@Harry in WashDC You're not alone....Mrs. Skinsfan digs those grill marks too😑

*tailgate worthy is ease in prep and something that can be cooked for the crowd, under the influence of the whiskey that some of our tailgaters feed the cooks.      This one is especially easy......cut into manageable pieces, with the grain, marinate overnight, grill on high heat for a few minutes, rest,  cut into smaller strips, then cut those against the grain into bite-sized pieces.    Easy-peasy!

skirt steak.jpg

Ever try carne asada.  I think that there is the cut typically used.  😋

On 9/21/2023 at 9:11 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not smoked, but grilled.   I bought a bunch of skirt steak, when it went on sale at Harris Tetter a couple months ago.   I'm experimenting with it to see if I can make them "tailgate worthy"*

Mrs. Skinsfan and I agreed, that these are definitely worthy😉

@Harry in WashDC You're not alone....Mrs. Skinsfan digs those grill marks too😑

*tailgate worthy is ease in prep and something that can be cooked for the crowd, under the influence of the whiskey that some of our tailgaters feed the cooks.      This one is especially easy......cut into manageable pieces, with the grain, marinate overnight, grill on high heat for a few minutes, rest,  cut into smaller strips, then cut those against the grain into bite-sized pieces.    Easy-peasy!

skirt steak.jpg

Ever try carne asada.  I think that there is the cut typically used.  😋

• 2 weeks later...

Since I do most of the cooking these days since my wife is a diabetic and I am trying to stay low carb, I  have been looking for short (no more than 4h) cooks for pork and beef.  Came across this recipe for pork belly on the smoker and did it today for lunch.

One full pork belly from Costco.  I cut about a 6 inch piece from each end (I wanted the meaty center section), froze those back for  a future cook.  Took my center section and cut it in half (so I had two pieces about 6x8 inches to cook),  coated them with a commercial sweet and smokey rub (my go to).  Cooked them on my pellet smoker at 325 for 3.5 h.  At that time, they were at 205, fat had rendered and they were probe tender.  Let them rest about 45 min, then then sliced them with an electric knife.  placed on a keto bun with lettuce and tomato.  So we had Pork Belly, Lettuce and tomato sandwiches for lunch.  Pork Belly was tender and luscious.  I will keep this recipe for future cooks.

If anyone else has a short cook recipe for their smoker, please share.

IMG_3367.jpeg

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

As I’ve said before, I hate this thread. 😒

It's not good for the waistline.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

It's not good for the waistline.

At least I can save the recipe for my son.  🤗

• I like it 1

I understand.  The only good thing about this is now that my wife is a confirmed diabetic, my smoker gets more use as she needs a low carb diet.

I don't know if this is the right place but I have been following the cultured meat technology for sometime now.  My former boss is an Aussie and has been taking on the industry there.  He is, like most scientist, not opposed or in favor of this technology but more just injecting a dose of reality into the discussion.

So far example, you need huge scale ups to make enough cultured meat  for the cost to be acceptable.  Current estimated costs at scale up is 100/Kg of hamburger (this is what they would make, Hamburger or sausage).  The scale up requires large fermenters (250,000 liters) when the largest fermenters in the pharma industry now are in the 100,000 L range.  You need soy for the culture medium  and it has to be kept sterile for the entire period while maintaining 37 degrees C.  If you can't use renewable energy then the cost of energy will be large.  

It is interesting to note that the non-traditional meat option (currently plant based) have found their market niches and are on the decline.  The company that produced the plant based chicken nuggets has filed for bankruptcy.  The only non-dairy milk that is still increasing market share are the oat milks - all the others are declining.  I don't know all the reasons for consumers turning away is due to taste but also due to the move to less processed foods (and all of these are highly processed).

IMO, the move toward plant based products may result in the same issue when we went to fat free.  We replaced fat with carbs and obesity is worse than ever ( I realize that obesity is multifactorial).  I believe that 20 years from now, the move to plant based will result in the recognition that this increased our exposure to phytoestrogens (some of which are good and some bad).  I just read an article in the British Medical Journal that tried to address the consequences of phytoestrogen exposure.  The summary is that they spent 5 pages that covered the benefits of phyoestrogens and then at the end had one short paragraph on the risks that basically said "we don't know the risks".

Every large animal veterinarian knows that  you don't graze pregnant cattle on new red clover fields as the phytoestrogens will cause abortions.  Moreover, in the mid 1500s, the phytoestrogen exposure from harvesting hops for beer making in German brewers led to erectile Dysfunction  (known as Brewer's Droop).  The wives complained and a law was passed that you can't harvest hops for more than 3 weeks at a time.  I cannot tell you how often I have had this discussion and had people tell me that plants don't have hormones.   If something is alive, it has hormones.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks so fired up the smoker today for some NY Strips and a couple pork chops that needed cooking.

20231022_142302.jpg

18 lb Choice full packer brisket yesterday. My Costco still out of Prime.  I think it makes a difference, as this didn’t have all of the rendered fat moistness that the Prime does.  Regardless, it was very good.      A couple of nights of leftovers to come, then cutting the rest up into 8 ounce portions to be frozen for future use in chili, soups, baked beans, etc…😋

167E7FCF-34C9-4D56-A394-8F7E13649C8C.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a 16.6 lb packer brisket from Costco on Friday evening.  I used the Meat Church Holy Cow as my rub.  It turned out really good.  I usually do flat but they had the Choice Packers on sale.

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

• I like it 3

I trimmed an 18lb Prime packer, for tomorrow,  and made tallow.

The bottom pic is right after I made it, early this afternoon.

The other pic was taken a few minutes ago.

It'll  be solid white by the morning.

I'm going to scoop a little out and put it in the butcher paper when I wrap the brisket.

20231106_203246.thumb.jpg.e16b0f51f36bc88a8b7bfbcddaa3410f.jpg

20231106_133535.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm going to scoop a little out and put it in the butcher paper when I wrap the brisket.

20231106_133535.jpg

My mom would have used this to make lye soap.  I helped with this a few times.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Special Reserve said:

My mom would have used this to make lye soap.  I helped with this a few times.

My grandma did the same.

I rarely make it, but  couldn't bring myself to waste 3lbs of fat from a Prime cut of meat.    It's pretty versatile.  I'm doing a "hot and fast" brisket and when there's a good bark, I'll use a foil pan, instead of butcher paper, and will add a few good dollops of the tallow in the bottom of the pan when I cover it with foil.

• I like it 1

15,5lb, (trimmed), Costco Prime packer.    

This is the 2nd "hot & fast" brisket that I've done, just to make sure that the first one that came out so good wasn't dumb luck.😁

Cook time was only 7hrs & 15 minutes.

I'll never go back to low and slow briskets....

hot and fast brisket start.jpg

hot and fast brisket 1.jpg

hot and fast brisket slice.jpg

• I like it 2

On 11/6/2023 at 8:47 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

20231106_133535.jpg

Once upon a time, when I wasn't a lazy cook,  I would render beef fat to cook my fresh cut fries when having a fish fry. Best french fries ever!

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

49 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Once upon a time, when I wasn't a lazy cook,  I would render beef fat to cook my fresh cut fries when having a fish fry. Best french fries ever!

Prost!!  Phil 

I'm usually kind of lazy, but my cheap-ass  isn't wasting 3+lbs of fat off a Prime cut of anything😉

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm usually kind of lazy, but my cheap-ass  isn't wasting 3+lbs of fat off a Prime cut of anything😉

That’s what she said! 🤣

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Prost!!  Phil 

Ha! This reminds me of a little fact I have learned from Littlesmokinjoe, as she has continued her journey as a vegetarian…McDonald’s french fries are not vegetarian, though they fry the potatoes in vegetable oil.  McDonald’s changed from frying their potatoes in lard, to frying in vegetable oil several years ago to meet vegetarian and health conscious consumer demand.  But, many customers then complained that they weren’t as tasty after the change.  So, they then began to “flavor” the potatoes with a beef flavor at the cut potato factory, before sending them to the restaurants to be fried in vegetable oil.  But, no beef flavoring at McD’a restaurants in countries that won’t accept that due to various religious and cultural reasons.  

Now you know…the rest of the story… Good day!  😂

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Pork belly burnt ends turned out incredible

IMG_4999.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

I’ll say!!!  Dang, those look good!  
did an 8 pound pulled pork to take to a party tonight.  Very happy with the results at this point.  😋

CE698200-F0DA-4C78-A8D2-F2ED9A6C8F86.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 4 weeks later...

My local store had their mega-meat sale again so I stocked up. Saved a tritip for Sunday dinner. It came out pretty good even if I fell on the deck while cooking. No I hadn't been drinking (much!) and Mrs. Clueby came running to the rescue. The meat and my ribs both survived. A chair broke my fall.  Tritip has a unique texture but I've grown to really enjoy it.

20231210_181455.jpg

20231210_181632.jpg

20231207_090226.jpg

• I like it 2