What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I just heard that Costco has switched to “Choice” instead of “Prime” on their Beef Brisket Full Packers.  Anybody confirm that?  If true, that’s a blow.

It's been a bit since I've bored you all with a Sunday evening smoked 'n seared steak. Used more of the oak from a barrel aged Manhattan. Unlike those competition cooks, I like to leave the "tails" on the ribeye. I love those little charred fatty bits. That's sunlight and not a spot that miseed cooking.  Barrel aged WSR Old Fashioned for the cook.

20230716_180924.jpg

20230716_174246.jpg

20230716_181450.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

It's been a bit since I've bored you all with a Sunday evening smoked 'n seared steak. Used more of the oak from a barrel aged Manhattan. Unlike those competition cooks, I like to leave the "tails" on the ribeye. I love those little charred fatty bits. That's sunlight and not a spot that miseed cooking.  Barrel aged WSR Old Fashioned for the cook.

20230716_180924.jpg

20230716_174246.jpg

20230716_181450.jpg

Those "tails" are often the best part. Not the best for your health, but best for taste and pleasure. As I approach the KMA part of life, pleasure becomes more important.

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, smokinjoe said:

I just heard that Costco has switched to “Choice” instead of “Prime” on their Beef Brisket Full Packers.  Anybody confirm that?  If true, that’s a blow.

Uh-oh!  I hope that's not true!

I looked today and all they had were Choice. That being said, they've been carrying both and it's not unusual to see them out of the Primes.

That would absolutely suck if they quit carrying them.  If it is true, then I'm glad that I have one in the freezer.  Not only are they good, but they're very reasonably priced. I shudder to think how much a Prime packer costs elsewhere...

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a pig today. Not quite a suckling, a little bigger, just over 50 pounds dressed 

IMG_5078.jpeg

• I like it 4

This could go also in “Joke Of The Month” or “Interesting Photos”. I posted it here because we were at Lowe’s earlier today to grab a quart of oil for our lawn mower, and get a cover for our sons new smoker.  Gotta make sure to take care of your breasts.  😮

IMG_2407.thumb.jpeg.0a6bb9252aa9f612bc5ceae801b7dcd2.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This could go also in “Joke Of The Month” or “Interesting Photos”. I posted it here because we were at Lowe’s earlier today to grab a quart of oil for our lawn mower, and get a cover for our sons new smoker.  Gotta make sure to take care of your breasts.  😮

IMG_2407.thumb.jpeg.0a6bb9252aa9f612bc5ceae801b7dcd2.jpeg

I’ve used several of their rubs and sauces, all have been great.

• I like it 1

So this weekend, I did some ribs on my Camp Chef Pellet Smoker.

I tried to mix it up a bit.  I used Meat Church Honey Hog as my primary rub, then followed it with the Sweet and Smokey rub that what I usually used.  All other things remained the same (I use the common  321 method). the only difference was that I used Ribs I bought at Walmart rather than Costco.  To be honest, I don't think the quality was as good as Costco.  Howeve, they were still quite good.  Next up is beef Dino ribs this weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a6cf3ad2ae30c4d79fe0fdd3aca64ee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0e3dd269fc271fb47d3b23a9cd6d4797.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 8/4/2023 at 7:58 PM, BottledInBond said:

Doing a pig today. Not quite a suckling, a little bigger, just over 50 pounds dressed 

IMG_5078.jpeg

Jeez, thats hard to beat! Looks awesome!

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Jeez, thats hard to beat! Looks awesome!

That looks interesting.  I have been wanting to do a Couchon de Lait but the right size/age pig is not easy to find here.  Any tips on cooking one of these?

On 8/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, markandrex said:

I’ve used several of their rubs and sauces, all have been great.

Same!

• I like it 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

That looks interesting.  I have been wanting to do a Couchon de Lait but the right size/age pig is not easy to find here.  Any tips on cooking one of these?

Well, lots of different ways to do it. This time it was just over 50 pounds after it was gutted. I dry-rubbed the inside of the abdominal cavity, and we injected a brine solution in the meat. Cooked it for 7.5 hours at 250 with oak and hickory wood. Let it rest for another hour before pulling it apart. Juicy and delicious. 

Let me know if you have more specific questions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since my same old same old Sunday steaks. This time also threw some pork chops on for dinner thru the week. BT Old Fashioned for the cook.

20230827_160502.jpg

20230827_174133.jpg

20230827_175512.jpg

20230827_175704.jpg

20230827_174746.jpg

• I like it 4

Sierra Nevada Summer fest and baby back ribs. I changed up my baster. Mix of Pappy's Smokehouse Hoodoo sauce, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and a bit of FranksRed Hot sauce. 

Going to whip together some skillet corn bread when I finish this beer. 

Happy Labor day weekend to you all 🍻

IMG_4506.jpeg

• I like it 5

5 lb. Brisket on the smoker with mesquite wood and spicy chopolte rub.  I am not a patient man!  Planning on some baked/smoked potatoes, zucchini casserole and mushrooms on the side.  It should be ready about 6.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Sierra Nevada Summer fest and baby back ribs. I changed up my baster. Mix of Pappy's Smokehouse Hoodoo sauce, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and a bit of FranksRed Hot sauce. 

Going to whip together some skillet corn bread when I finish this beer. 

Happy Labor day weekend to you all 🍻

Ahhh, 'skillet corn bread'...    Mmmmmmm!    My dad used to make a batch once in a while when I was a young boy.     He disliked the way Mom baked her batches in the oven.    I guess she added a bit of sugar which Dad did not fancy.   He called hers; "Johnnie Cake".   I liked both just fine; but, Mom's was a bit sweeter.    Dad's, on the other hand, was a little salty.   I always thought he cooked his in bacon grease, maybe.    In any case a big slice of Dad's with a big pat of butter melting in, when it was really hot & fresh off the stove top is a memory of fine dining (Southern Style) I still cherish.   

I miss corn bread (either way) and both Mom & Dad.

• I like it 1

Smoked a pork butt yesterday, and it’ll be round 2 if it in about an hour.  😋

5CC193B3-2749-4765-91BB-32EE89EB580F.jpeg

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Smoked a pork butt yesterday, and it’ll be round 2 if it in about an hour.  😋

5CC193B3-2749-4765-91BB-32EE89EB580F.jpeg

I did the same on Sunday but no pictures.  Leftovers are going to be carnitas tonight. 

Made my second ever Tri-tip yesterday.  Used some bourbon smoked seasoning blend and pepper. Smoked with Manhattan barrel oak at 225 to about 110, then seared at 700 for about 2 mins per side and let it rest. The tips were ~medium and the center was medium rare. Had great flavor but texture is still very sirloin-like vs a strip or ribeye. I made sure to slice against the grain. Tr-tip has grain running in 2 directions. Wife made a "skillet cornbread/spoonbread" that was awesome. I roasted a head of cabbage with butter, seasoning, and Worcestershire but it wasn't done in time. Then I forgot about it until I smelled it around 10pm! It wasn't burnt but outer leaves were brown. The inside was delicious though. We will have that tonight.

Had some Shocktop with orange for my last blast of "summer" beverage.

20230904_135823.jpg

20230904_172037.jpg

20230904_225107.jpg

20230904_154746.jpg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Did a Wegmans porterhouse last night.  Not smoked but grilled on my Weber Summit Charcoal grill which is also often used for ribs, brisket, standing rib roasts, etc.  We had 2:1 :: Ritt:Cynar  Manhattans on the rocks for happy hour.  Wife likes grill marks so I did grill marks.  Cut steak in strips and drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice per a Tuscan steak recipe she likes.  The tree in the pic had nothing to do with the cooking.  It is an American wild cherry which "appeared" in a flower garden many years ago.  We decided to let it grow because it has a nice shape.  It is now over 60 feet tall.

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

• I like it 4

On 9/17/2023 at 2:24 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Did a Wegmans porterhouse last night.  Not smoked but grilled on my Weber Summit Charcoal grill which is also often used for ribs, brisket, standing rib roasts, etc.  We had 2:1 :: Ritt:Cynar  Manhattans on the rocks for happy hour.  Wife likes grill marks so I did grill marks.  Cut steak in strips and drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice per a Tuscan steak recipe she likes.  The tree in the pic had nothing to do with the cooking.  It is an American wild cherry which "appeared" in a flower garden many years ago.  We decided to let it grow because it has a nice shape.  It is now over 60 feet tall.

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

You can always tell an experienced griller, when he blames the wife for grill marks.   I do the same! 😅

That looks cooked to perfection.  Great job!

How's that Summit treating you?   I own 9 webers, (5 kettles and 3 gassers),  an Akorn Kamado.  The Summit is on the list.....

Not smoked, but grilled.   I bought a bunch of skirt steak, when it went on sale at Harris Tetter a couple months ago.   I'm experimenting with it to see if I can make them "tailgate worthy"*

Mrs. Skinsfan and I agreed, that these are definitely worthy😉

@Harry in WashDC You're not alone....Mrs. Skinsfan digs those grill marks too😑

*tailgate worthy is ease in prep and something that can be cooked for the crowd, under the influence of the whiskey that some of our tailgaters feed the cooks.      This one is especially easy......cut into manageable pieces, with the grain, marinate overnight, grill on high heat for a few minutes, rest,  cut into smaller strips, then cut those against the grain into bite-sized pieces.    Easy-peasy!

skirt steak.jpg

• I like it 1