What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

The wife and I hung out by the pool today.  I decided to make some nachos on the smoker.  Also shook up some fresh blood orange margaritas.  

Resized_20230519_193240.jpeg

• I like it 2

So I have been experimenting a bit with the Meat Church rubs.  I made ribs today using the Honey Hog rub as my base rub with my usual Sweet and Smokey as the top rub.   I also did not cook these ribs as long as I find that I have a tendency to overcook the St. Louis style ribs i get from Costco.  My BBQ sauce is the Sweet Baby's Ray with some vinegar added to cut the sweet a bit.  They turned out perfect.  It was not a fall off the bone rib but one with the slightest bit of Tug (which is our preference).    I plan on doing  a pork butt over the memorial day holiday along with some appetizers on my smoker (bacon wrapped onion rings, pls shots, and armadillo eggs).  Should be a meat heavy holiday.

image.thumb.jpeg.afbd7f5d3eaa9dae70dd4b480cc9afee.jpeg

• I like it 3

Smoked Italian beef sandwich with grilled onions and peppers topped with a creamy garlic parmesean sauce. 

Smoked a chuck roast at 250 for 4 hours. I then put in a cast iron Dutch oven for another 3-4 hours. Everyone enjoyed it a LOT 

IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

• I like it 2

We're rotating stuff in the freezer and found a point leftover from a prime packer that I smoked a few months ago. 

20230525_192434.jpg

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We're rotating stuff in the freezer and found a point leftover from a prime packer that I smoked a few months ago. 

20230525_192434.jpg

A point leftover…… sometimes I wish I could buy just points. Always fun to find a treasure in the freezer. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

A point leftover…… sometimes I wish I could buy just points. Always fun to find a treasure in the freezer. 

I know, right?

I always separate them from the flats and freeze them for burnt ends.

• I like it 1

Memorial Day weekend. Warm finally. On Saturday, I did bacon wrapped onion rings, armadillo eggs, and pig shots. Later that night, I put on a pork butt for an overnight cook  went on at 9pm, ready at 10 am. Great pulled pork 

IMG_2933.jpeg

• I like it 2

Bacon-wrapped onion rings sound wonderful.  I may have to try that idea!

I made some bacon wrapped & cheese stuffed Serrano peppers. This is the only pic that exists. Lol. I think they turned put pretty good but will defer to @0895 for judgement on the peppers and the smoked and seared NY Strips.

@StarSurfer55 did the "Armadillo Eggs" also have sausage wrapped around the peppers?

20230529_110826.jpg

• I like it 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Clueby said:

I made some bacon wrapped & cheese stuffed Serrano peppers. This is the only pic that exists. Lol. I think they turned put pretty good but will defer to @0895 for judgement on the peppers and the smoked and seared NY Strips.

20230529_110826.jpg

Everything was fantastic!

I need a lesson on how to make those peppers. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since my favorite store had their "Massive Meat Sale" this week I also grabbed a few racks of ribs (in addition to Strips, , chicken legs, pork loin chops, etc.) So instead of steak night we had ribs, corn, cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeños, and some homemade pico.  I got to wear my Father's Day present also!  A barrel aged WSR Manhattan for the cook.  Used some more of the barrel wood to smoke with.

20230625_103650.jpg

20230625_180416.jpg

20230625_144224.jpg

20230625_181140.jpg

20230625_181145.jpg

20230621_221324.jpg

• I like it 3

As with most Fourth of July weeks, the smoker will be busy.  We are up at the RV Resort  and I start tomorrow.

First up is my first attempt at a spatchcocked turkey on the smoker.  Never done one before but I had bought  12 lb bird at Thanksgiving only to find out that  my wife had bought a 20 lb one for Thanksgiving.  I plan on trying the Meat Church recipe for white sauce to go with it.

I will  post pics when it is done. 

Brats on the grill for the 4th.

Later in the week, I will do a brisket on an overnight cook.

Should be a great week.  Had a passing Tstorm today but should be done with rain until Thursday.

I got a good pic of our site last night and people have asked for more pics so I am adding that.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba6d20891b5cb4302724411097c567f8.jpeg 

• I like it 6

So I did the spatchcock Turkey today took about 3.5 hours at 300 to reach 165.  It was very good. Very moist and not dry at all. I did not brine the turkey before I cooked it. I will do this again. 

• I like it 3

A pic of the bird right before I took it off the smoker

IMG_3072.jpeg

• I like it 5

9 racks of pork ribs went in. This will be a hassle as I’ll have to rotate them a few times to even out hotter/cooler areas 

IMG_4965.jpeg

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

9 racks of pork ribs went in. This will be a hassle as I’ll have to rotate them a few times to even out hotter/cooler areas 

IMG_4965.jpeg

Curious about the rub? Is that mustard based? 

That loox like a LOT of Ribs!!!!!    Hope they all turned out great.

7 hours ago, MM818 said:

Curious about the rub? Is that mustard based? 

There is some mustard brushed on them, and then the dry rub. You can certainly see some yellow from the mustard in that picture. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

That loox like a LOT of Ribs!!!!!    Hope they all turned out great.

They were great. Here’s a pic closer to the end. Doing that many is certainly more work with rotating them throughout the cook. I think 12 racks would be the most I’d try in this smoker. 

IMG_4967.jpeg

• I like it 2

Those look great!  I’m at the point on my meat smoking journey where ribs scare me more than a brisket.  When I’m at Costco and see the big racks in the cooler I get all wide eyed, but then scurry away.  🤣🤣.  I need to change that thinkin’!  🤟

• I like it 1

To wrap up the week of the 4th, I put a brisket on the smoker. I used the fire and smoke black and tan rub. I t cooked out about 2 hours faster than usual but it turned out great. 

IMG_3082.jpeg

Did some nuggets on the bbq after a recipe from Sean Brock, drizzled some selfmade Cowboy Candy over it. Nice and hot!

IMG_20230610_200232557.jpg